Is what someone told me true?

I was complaining today about how I'm upset because although I have lost almost 100 pounds I still have so much weight in my stomach area. A co worker overheard me and said that I will never be able to lose it...it will have to be surgically removed? It just made me feel so horrible hearing this....I am trying so hard

Replies

• FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    It's possible to have loose skin removed that you need surgically removed, but if you know you still have fat to lose, ignore your coworker and keep on keeping on. Take care of your body the best you can, and if there are any lingering cosmetic issues, you'll know what you have to do when you get there. It's for sure not a foregone conclusion, but it is possible when you lose a lot of weight.
  • aprilflower18232
    aprilflower18232 Posts: 205 Member
    I have about 90 pounds to lose yet
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Your coworker is spouting cra'p. Your body takes fat from the reserves it sees fit first and then moves to the next. Keep at it, and you will get your results. Make sure you are mixing in a good amount of strength training!
  • yuuen
    yuuen Posts: 114 Member
    I've seen apple shapes go from Beach Ball to slimmed out Hourglass, so it's not impossible to lose weight in a problem area. Don't let your coworker discourage you.
  • ilovescarymovies
    ilovescarymovies Posts: 202 Member
    Belly fat is usually the last place we lose from. Keep a deficit and continue losing weight and it will go down. :flowerforyou:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,942 Member
    You'll still lose fat, but based on how much you have to lose, there's going to be loose/excess skin left behind. Diet and exercise can't fix this, so acceptance or surgery are the options.
    The co worker wasn't completely wrong, but also wasn't right about not be able to lose fat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • kickivale
    kickivale Posts: 260 Member
    Wow, that was such an insensitive thing for your coworker to say so bluntly!
    I'm sorry you were hurt like that.
    My experience with this issue is only through my mother, who performs surgeries, mostly bariatric. While it is common for previously obese patients to need to have skin removed after significant weight loss, it is really dependent on your body. I think the best way to cope with your feelings is to KEEP GOING because you've been a success so far. Cross that bridge when you get to it!
    You said so yourself, you're TRYING SO HARD. That is what matters, your determination to get to your goal.
    By the looks of your ticker, you're halfway there so come 2015 you'll probably be feeling REALLY GOOD and what other people say will just be noise :flowerforyou:
  • David_AUS
    David_AUS Posts: 298 Member
    If you have already progressed so far then just keep going with the strategy that has brought you to this point. I would recommend a managed rate of loss say < 2 lbs per week to give your body the best chance to adjust with minimum excess skin - I would rather deal with this cosmetic problem than have to worry about being on a statin and insulin injections for the rest of my life, or my weight preventing me from taking that holiday because I cannot walk around some of the worlds marvels. Or worse having bits of me lopped off because of a blood clot and gang green setting in (like happened to my uncle who had several operations having toes removed etc.... eventually ended up dieing on the operating table from a failed operation to remove another dying piece of body tissue). Could any of things still happen to me - yes but they are much less likely if I become as healthy as I can and perhaps a certainty if I don't look after myself.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    I have about 90 pounds to lose yet

Then yes, just keep on going and honestly, try to put it out of your mind. There's a great chance you won't even need to think about it ever again, and if you do, there's nothing you can do to help now other than to take good care of yourself. A lot depends on the rate of loss and your skin's elasticity. Stay hydrated, exercise, get enough to eat, and get enough rest.

And what you have accomplished is amazing! Good work.
  • Jade0529
    Jade0529 Posts: 213 Member
    Maybe your co-worker is jealous of your success?

You are doing an awesome job. I know for myself my stomach is the last place weight comes off. It sucks!

HUGS

Jade
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Losing that much weight is impossible. I'm living proof!
  • HawkeyeTy
    HawkeyeTy Posts: 681 Member
    Maybe your co-worker is jealous of your success?

Yea, I bet that's it.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    You'll still lose fat, but based on how much you have to lose, there's going to be loose/excess skin left behind. Diet and exercise can't fix this, so acceptance or surgery are the options.
    The co worker wasn't completely wrong, but also wasn't right about not be able to lose fat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

^^^ This ^^^ BUT, if you still have 90 lbs to lose, it is highly likely that the bulk of this will be in the hips (women) and stomach area. There is no such thing as spot reduction so the body loses fat where it wants to. I only have about 20 more lbs to lose and still have stubborn fat in the stomach area... That is ok, eventually it has to go too... And yes, since I have lost over 100#, I'll have some dead skin as well...
  • HeidiSmith419
    HeidiSmith419 Posts: 71 Member
    The amount of skin and fat you may have leftover varies from person to person, age, skin condition and hereditary issues all play a role. There is simply no way to know what condition it will be in. I've lost aprox what you plan to lose. (Still have about 25 to go). I've unfortunately got a lot that will need plastic surgery but not everyone does. Don't worry about it right now. There is nothing you can do to change the results other than a bit of time for the skin to bounce back any amount it may on its own.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    The amount of skin and fat you may have leftover varies from person to person, age, skin condition and hereditary issues all play a role. There is simply no way to know what condition it will be in. I've lost aprox what you plan to lose. (Still have about 25 to go). I've unfortunately got a lot that will need plastic surgery but not everyone does. Don't worry about it right now. There is nothing you can do to change the results other than a bit of time for the skin to bounce back any amount it may on its own.

^^I believe this answers your original question. All the spot reducing answers are true you can't determine where you will lose from first - but I believe you're referring to the sagging skin that remains after you lose all the weight. I have lost a little more than you and I have not had too much of a problem. It has taken me about 20 months to lose this amount. So slowly. Also, I began lifting heavy about 17 months ago and I think this may be helping more than anything. If you can get involved in a weight program, you may be very surprised with how your body will change as you strengthen your core. Good luck. Don't give up. :flowerforyou:
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    It might be too soon to tell if you need to have that sort of surgery yet.

I've had it...in fact it was about 11 months ago. I'd lost 115 pounds at that point. BUT I will say that I carried a majority of my weight in my stomach area. My mother even said once when she was approaching me and my back was to her, I looked like I'd lost a lot of weight and looked good until I turned around, and there was the belly. For me, it was necessary at that time.

Everyone has a different body type and carries their weight differently. Not everyone will need skin removal surgery, but I'm guessing that most people who lose 180 pounds may want to at least consider it.