When should I Stop counting recording food

Options
I have been recording my food and keeping track of my calories for almost 365 days. At what point do you stop doing that and see how much you have learned vs..keeping track each day. I'm torn if I am ready for that yet.

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Me? Probably never. And that's fine with me.
  • ladycadaverous
    ladycadaverous Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I plan on recording for a few years after I lose all the weight. I have always kept a food journal due to the fact that your body changes every 7 years and its good to see if a certain type of food is affecting you due to allergies or whatever.
  • HappyNewTamera2014
    Options
    Never
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Never
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I will probably always track in one form or another.
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I always start gaining when I stop recording my food. Right now I go through cycles where I record for a couple weeks & then don't record for a couple weeks & I maintain ok that way but I pretty much always just eat the same things. When I went on vacation & didn't record it was a disaster. I know that I have a problem judging what I am eating so I know that I will always have to record my food.
  • mindiv
    mindiv Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    When you feel comfortable stopping, if ever. If you feel as though you'd like to start going it on your own without being tied to MFP or a pen and paper or whatever you use to record, by all means try it. LOTS of people do lose and keep the weight off without obsessively logging day in and day out forever.

BUT for me, I'll probably always log in some way or other.
  • rcm1579
    rcm1579 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'm leaning toward keeping recording it for now. I like the number being RIGHT THERE so i know how close I am to my daily limit (on either side). Been doing this for a year on Wednesday and down 52lbs. I've amazed myself that I've kept up with it! lol
  • amm8589
    amm8589 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I keep track of food mentally if I don't have time to record it, but I honestly feel better about logging into MFP. It's way too easy to forget about that snack you had before lunch or that extra helping of whatever at dinner.
  • jennibear22
    jennibear22 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I always start gaining when I stop recording my food. Right now I go through cycles where I record for a couple weeks & then don't record for a couple weeks & I maintain ok that way but I pretty much always just eat the same things. When I went on vacation & didn't record it was a disaster. I know that I have a problem judging what I am eating so I know that I will always have to record my food.
  • jennibear22
    jennibear22 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Yup same here.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, I don't believe I'll ever be in a position to stop logging. I gained 17 pounds since November, but am back on track. I just get so lost and caught up and don't pay attention to what or how much I'm eating.

Wish it were different, but that's the way it goes.
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    My answer is: Upon the complete flattening of basal metabolic rate
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    When I don't care if I balloon up again and fit in my big clothes.

In other words: I hope never!
    I have been recording my food and keeping track of my calories for almost 365 days. At what point do you stop doing that and see how much you have learned vs..keeping track each day. I'm torn if I am ready for that yet.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Never. I am a food addict. I will need to keep track of what I eat forever I think. If thats what its take to keep it off, thats fine by me.
  • MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I don't think I would be able to stop any time soon.
  • keeptehpeace
    keeptehpeace Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I think I will always roughly estimate how much I am eating, not sure if I'll always strictly track - but I will buy some tight fitting clothes when I reach my target weight, and if they stop fitting as well I will start tracking again
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    At the point a) I'm eating badly and getting fat or b) when I can maintain or head towards goals without doing so.
    To some degree it's less important these days as I have a decent idea of what macros are in the food I regularly eat and sadly can wander around the supermarket and say think "well, I need about 30g of protein more today... so a ball of light mozzeralla has that along with 13g or so of fat... that'll fit my macros." without checking my current consumption or the labels.