201 heart rate

Options
I have the polar heart rate monitor and i seem to NEVER be in the zone. I do many different workouts but especially when i take zumba classes my heart rate reaches dangerous heights. im 268lbs, 23, and 5'4 i figured i might be doing to much for my weight but i don't feel tired or strained, i would think if my heart rate is at 201 i would feel sick or something but i feel fine. when my heart rate is in the zone i don't feel challenged does this happen to anyone else? is this normal?

Replies

• beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Probably be a good idea to figure out what you max heart rate should be when you are exercising. These calculators will help you determine what it is.

http://maxheartratecalculator.com/

http://www.runnersweb.com/running/hr_calculator_new.html
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I used to hit 210 sometimes - according to my HRM - and taste metal when doing hill runs when I was still quite heavy. If you feel fine, and you've had a checkup to establish your heart is "normal" and tickin' over properly, I wouldn't worry about being around 200bpm.

Just take breaks, stay hydrated, breathe and don't push yourself harder than necessary.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    I have a higher heart rate as well. I would get above 200 and hold there during longer runs. As I got fitter, I was able to keep it in the 180-190 range better and could complete 2 miles in <16:00 and barely get to 180 after months of training. I brought the issue up with my doctor since it seems like 200 bpm would be dangerous for me. They said that some people have a greater range of heart rate and that 190-200 was likely my higher end. They checked heart function and found no issues and since I wasn't seeing any other issues (and wouldn't know if I didn't have on a HRM), that I should be okay.

I would just check in with your doctor to make sure there isn't anything wrong and that your heart can take that level of BPM. 200+ isn't really "normal" and can be dangerous for sustained periods, but for some people it in't so bad. Weight may be a big factor and as you lose weight and increase your cardiovascular health you will probably see this drop off quite a bit.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    If your doctor isn't worried about it, listen to your body. A combination of extra weight and not being in cardiovascular shape can lead to a higher heart rate during exercise. Your body will adapt to the stresses as you get in better shape.

As for the zones .... they are a bunch of physiology dealing with proportions of fuel sources. The "fat burning" zone just means that the highest percentage of calories burned in that range is from fat ... not that you necessarily burn the most fat overall in that zone ( a lower percentage of a greater overall amount results in more fat burned). Without testing, those zones are just generic guidelines and your particular transition points could be much different.
  • vikki00
    vikki00 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    THANKS!!! you guys have all been so helpful!!