kinda embarrassing..wheat and bloating, gas???

Options
ok, this is the most embarrassing topic i have ever posted!! everytime i eat wheat noodles and sometimes wheat bread, i get so bloated and gassy. I am more full then when i eat the white stuff, but the wheat just makes me uncomfortable, and idk what to eat now. do you know why this happens or what i can do? i tried dift portions but it still had the same effect, thank you :blushing:

Replies

• weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    You may have a sensitivity to wheat, or wheat gluten. Google your symptoms and you can find additional info.
  • JaydeSkye
    JaydeSkye Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Try Ole Mexican Tortillas, the ones in my journal, theyre 5carbs and just formulated differently bc I know what you mean. Also, rice and beans will make you bloat and retain water (also my problem) along with everything else you mentioned haha.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    If you know that the wheat is the trigger, you can take Beano. You may want to try different brands of the pasta, I know I am more bloated and gassy with some of the cheaper and store brands of pasta.
  • angiemcgovern
    angiemcgovern Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    You may have gluten intolerance, where your body just can't process wheat gluten the way it's supposed to.
  • cycleguy
    cycleguy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Now I am thinking I might have the same....Aaagh!
  • lashleyrivera
    Options
    well if it is a wheat intolerance what can i eat??? im confused cause the wheat stuff is good for you, but if i cant eat it i am not sure what to eat
  • smedlund
    smedlund Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I suggest first trying gluten free pasta. You can get it at Whole Foods or other stores like that. If that doesn't work, then try rice pasta or spelt pasta. I have tried both and they're decent, but I do enjoy the wheat pasta more.
  • Neliel
    Neliel Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    It sounds like wheat allergy or intolerance. Or maybe gluten. I'd definitely go to the doctor and ask for an intolerance test!
    You'd be seriously shocked at the amount of stuff wheat and gluten is in. My friend has a wheat and gluten allergy and she's had to cut out so much stuff it's ridiculous!
    However, most supermarkets tend to have a 'free from' section now. So if you find you are allergic or intolerant, there are lots of alternatives you can have.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Quit eating food that have glueten in it.That is probably your problem. When I quit eating foods with glueten My problem went away. I eat Ezekiel bread. No glueten no preservatives. Most all shelf bread has glueten in it. YOu will have to weed out everything that is bothering you
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    well if it is a wheat intolerance what can i eat??? im confused cause the wheat stuff is good for you, but if i cant eat it i am not sure what to eat

I might have to keep an eye on when I eat wheat bread and pay attention. It's possible for me too.

A lot of grocery stores have a gluten free aisle, freezer section. They have all kinds of gluten free stuff including cookie and brownie mixes. And you see 'gluten -free' on a lot of labels these days since it's popping up a lot more.
  • maryellengallagher
    Options
    I was diagnosed as gluten-intolerant a year ago. It was a tough year, but it is so worth it to not feel like that. There are lots of gluten-free pastas out there. The gluten-free bread is iffy, but I have found one I like. The good news is that eliminating wheat from your diet will hasten your weight loss. If you really want a sandwich, make it with a corn tortilla. There are also lots of restaurants that are gluten free. Although wheat may be good for some people, for others it is toxic.
  • tgaul
    tgaul Posts: 123
    Options
    You may have an allergy or intolerance to wheat and or gluten. (Also know as celiac sprue) If you really want to know if it is a true allergy or intolerance your doctor can do blood work to check for it. In the U.S. food manufacturers use gluten in almost everything as a filler. So check you labels and see if you can cut it out of your diet and if you start to feel better this could be why.
    It is more common now and the stores are getting in more gluten free items which makes it much easier for people with celiac sprue.
    Hope this helps, Good luck
  • lashleyrivera
    Options
    hmm this is not fun, everything in my house has gluten in it besides my bananas :(
  • YogiGirlLucy
    Options
    Hi friend! I have been 100% Gluten free for over three years. I do not have Celiac, although it sounds like you might. Regardless, my body still does not respond well to wheat products, and I have done a lot of research through my work with holistic medicine that indicates that the way wheat ("super gluten") is grown, and then processed in the U.S. is not good for anyone. Again...IT IS PROCESSED! Spelt, Ezekial -- sprouted grains -- are okay, they are not.

The problems caused by wheat can go far beyond gas and bloating. Please read this informative article:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-hyman/gluten-what-you-dont-know_b_379089.html

Pay special attention to these sections:

Gluten Sensitivity: One Cause, Many Diseases
    and
    The Elimination/Reintegration Diet

Also check out:

http://www.celiac.com/

Great site with information about Celiac, including Safe Gluten-Free Food List / Unsafe Foods & Ingredients.

It's a challenge sometimes, but I like my no wheat lifestyle. There are a lot more alternatives these days, you just have to shop in markets that offer choices. You have to read every label. And you have to be creative. And, hey, it cuts down on the carbs you consume!

I would be happy to talk to you more about living gluten free -- anytime!

Lucy
  • Neliel
    Neliel Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I still wouldn't jump to conclusions, i really would go to the doctors for an intolerance test first before you completely cut out gluten. It might not be necessary, you may just be responding badly to certain foods.
  • ItsNatastic
    ItsNatastic Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    We are gluten free at our house due to my son having Celiac disease. I have noticed that I bloat a lot when I eat wheat now, and had bloating issues for years before his diagnosis that I couldnt pinpoint. I feel 100% better not eating gluten (gluten can also be found in most processed foods, making it ALOT easier for us all to eat clean). Eating gluten free is not cheap, and it's difficult to pinpoint sources of gluten because it goes by SO many names, but your body will thank you. Since cutting wheat i've my body is so much more "regular" as well. I used to find myself constipated a lot. Gluten is difficult for most bodies to digest without an intolerance. Now that we are accustomed to GF living we all feel better for it (and know a lot more about what is in our food!)
  • lashleyrivera
    Options
    So cutting out gluten can not harm anything if ilets say I am not gluten intolerant. I want to go to a doctor but the way my ins. Is I wouldn't be able to be seen for months. I don't want to wait that long either since when I eat I get so umcomfortable
  • ItsNatastic
    ItsNatastic Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    It wont harm anything, you just need to find alternative sources of fibre etc at least that's what i've found. Eating gluten free isnt too tough once you get past the bread and pasta, I like corn pasta and find it tastes better than wheat pasta! Meat and veggies dont have wheat in them so your biggest challenge will be baked goods and processed foods, which arent really that great for you anyway. Msg me if you need help!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Yup you probably have a gluten intolerance...so do I. I do Paleo 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off to keep it at bay. Google it.
  • Redmedic
    Options
    Could be IBS, could be gluten intolerence, could be Coeliac Disease. If you're been losing weight without trying to, feel generally exhausted and run-down, and your stools are pale and difficult to flush, I'd worry about it being Coelic; if you've any of those symptoms, please talk to your GP. However, it's more likely that, like many people, your gut finds it difficult to digest processed, refined carbohydrates.

When you've ruled out anything serious, there are several things you can do to make this more comfortable:
    -Try taking a bacterial supplement such as Yakult
    -Try cutting down the number of refined carbs you eat
    -Transfer to slightly less refined options e.g wholewheat pasta, seeded, wholemeal bread etc.

Personally I just cut out bread. These days I'm so uncomfortable when I eat it it's just not worth it. Unfortunately this also means no pizza, paninis, naan breads etc. Hope this helps.