Caffiene and anxiety?

Options
Gidzmo
Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
Does anyone have any idea if caffeine contributes to anxiety?

Replies

• aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    it absolutely can.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Not for everybody, but lots of caffeine can mimic the same symptoms (jittery, high heart rate).
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    that's a good point, it probably makes a difference if the person is predisposed to having anxiety. I personally am, and it honestly affects me different on different days. sometimes I'm fine, but other times my anxiety will skyrocket.
  • frangrann
    frangrann Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Probably depends on how much caffeine.
  • sshintaku
    sshintaku Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Caffeine reduces my anxiety, but I don't think that's what you mean :D
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Try to take my caffeine away and I'll show you anxiety! :noway:

That said, it can absolutely make a person with sensitivity to caffeine jittery, irritable, and generally anxious.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Yes! I was having panic attacks after years of drinking coffee without bad effects. Once I switched to one cup of caffeinated tea in the morning, my panic attacks and anxiety ended. Just. Like. That.
  • Jett_05
    Jett_05 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    My anxiety defiantly spikes up. I think it effects people who are predisposed to anxiety disorders like other stimulants.
  • salstg
    salstg Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    For sure. I had to quit coffee because of it.
  • Fenrissa
    Fenrissa Posts: 116
    Options
    Yes, caffeine is a stimulant. I had to stop drinking coffee because I was having panic attacks due to it.
  • StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Yes.

My husband suffered terribly with panic attacks and anxiety.

He's cut out all caffeine (so this includes chocolate and herbal teas that are not always caffeine free), all MSG (which is EVERYWHERE), and all artificial sweetners (in particular asperthame).

And he hasn't had a panic attack in a long time because of it :)
  • zzonked
    zzonked Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    It is a fact that caffeine causes anxiety, but it has to be a pretty high dose to do so.

200-300mg and you're fine, this should give you a strong buzz though. Anything over 500mg and you risk anxiety and jitters. Over 1000mg and you should see severe anxiety. Above 2g you are getting into the risk area for toxicity and could kill yourself.

I'm only familiar with caffeine dosages because I use pure caffeine powder to get a little energy kick sometimes. It's dirt cheap, $15 for 500g. You have to be careful though, the serving size is tiny.

For a little perspective, a red bull has 80mg of caffeine I think.
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Wonder how much would be in a regular can of soda? Diet soda?
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Yes, it sure does. Note that some people are more caffeine sensitive and also that one can develop a tolerance for caffeine over time so be careful about dosage generalizations. They may be generally true but *your results may vary*.

Also, check this out: http://www.caffeineinformer.com/the-caffeine-database
  • CherylynBen
    CherylynBen Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. I suffer with anxiety and I have cut caffiene out of my life. It's sooooo hard!!!! I crave that cup of coffee. But I haven't had coffee or diet soda in weeks. I also cut out alcohol (due to calories too). If you smoke, that will also be a factor. Hope it all works out for you!