So it really doesn't matter?

Options
If you eat breakfast? If you eat late at night? I was always led to believe that calories jump start your metabolism... eat 6 small meals a day.

Is this not true at all?

Replies

• Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Up until recently I didn't eat breakfast and I have been losing weight just fine. I'm not hungry first thing when I wake up, it's usually around 10 am at work I start to feel hungry.

I've started eating breakfast recently as I'm trying to increase my protein intake and want to eat 5-6 small meals because I physically can't force down 2 huge meals.

But don't think metabolism has anything to do with it, it's always been sluggish (that's my excuse!) no matter what time of the day it is :laugh:
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Nope it doesn't matter. Eat whenever suits you and your lifestyle and in whatever manner helps you achieve your goals.
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Some people swear that it doesn't, and works for them.

For me personally, I need to be constantly eating, keeping my body fueled like a well oiled machine. I never want to feel hungry. It helps with my training and recovery. I do agree with the time of day bears no meaning
  • Rosie_McA
    Rosie_McA Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Do hope that's the case as I struggle to eat a big breakfast and a large lunch makes me drowsy.
    I do like something around 4:00pm but it's the evening when I can't stop eating.
    My workday usually finishes late (frequently 8:00pm-9:00pm) and although I could eat dinner in the workplace I much prefer to get home, relax, and eat a decent meal in comfortable surroundings.
  • Beastmaster50
    Beastmaster50 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Nope, it doesn't matter at all. Just hit your calorie goals for the day, timing is not important. The only concern with late night eating is if you have issues with heartburn or acid reflux.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    If you eat breakfast? If you eat late at night? I was always led to believe that calories jump start your metabolism... eat 6 small meals a day.

Is this not true at all?

Correct.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    As long as you hit your macros and your calorie goal, you'll be fine.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    no. it's a myth.
  • CookingMamaAUS
    CookingMamaAUS Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I think the only evidence with regard to eating breakfast is that people who regularly don't eat breakfast tend to overeat later in the day, often on higher calorie foods. The stuff about kickstarting your metabolism is pseudo-science. Your metabolism works almost as much when you're asleep as when you're awake - your brain, after all, uses a large amount of energy and doesn't turn off when you are asleep. Eating breakfast just means you're less likely to hit the snacks mid-morning, or eat a massive lunch because you're starving.

http://www.foodinsight.org/Content/6/IFIC Brkfast Review FINAL.pdf
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    When you eat is a very personal thing. Eat in whatever manner helps you perform well in training and helps keep you satiated. Some form of structure will help you form a habit but meal timing is irrelevant to weight loss. You're metabolism is always working.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter for weight loss. It does matter for performance and adherence so pick the schedule that gives you the best results.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter at all for weight loss. It helps some people with adherence.
  • zzonked
    zzonked Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Of course it matters somewhat, it's just negligible.

A day in terms of diet is a human construct, it is only a guideline. If I ate all my 2000 calories at 11:59pm and then at 12:01am I ate another 2000 calories because the day was over and the next had begun. Of course it would be different to eating 4000 spaced out over 2 days. It's not something that is worth worrying about though. So long as you're reasonable meal timing is not important.
  • Rosie_McA
    Rosie_McA Posts: 256 Member
    Options

Is this not true at all?

Not at all. Not one iota. It's total BS. Funny, eh? Stuff we've been told our entire lives is a big lie...like the Easter bunny, and Santa Clause.
    What are you implying about the Easter Bunny and Santa? Preposterous!
  • MelisaBegins
    MelisaBegins Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone above - except the part about Santa and the EB, for shame! **mom of 1st grader over here, waves hand**.

I do eat 6 small meals a day, but I don't eat breakfast first thing (I get up at 7:00 and eat breakfast at 9:30). I do, however, eat 1/2 a banana or a handful of grapes before my work-out (I do 45-60 minutes at 8:00 am) because I am an eater, and I wake up hungry. I just want a little bit in my stomach before my work-out so I don't feel shaky or nauseous, but that is totally personal preference in my opinion.

I am definitely ready for my eggs and bacon with coffee at 9:30, lemme tell ya!