Breakfast Ideas

Options
I'm horrible about thinking of stuff to eat for breakfast. I like oatmeal but I won't eat it plain (love brown sugar in it which isn't healthy). I want something that has protein. Was having ham but then figured out it has TONS of sodium in it and I am always going over on my sodium which I know can't be good.

Suggestions???

Replies

• SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Brown sugar isn't bad for you, as long as you're not coating it in things all day, I see nothing wrong with a little sprinkled in oatmeal. I love Greek yogurt with PB2 and granola (I pick nature's valley high protein it's 10g of protein per serving). Scrambled eggs are an idea too, I love those with ham, tomatoes, cheese. Something that will fill you up and not leave you hungry an hour later ;) As far as sodium, unless you have a medical condition, occasionally exceeding your salt intake won't hurt you. The only bad thing about excess salt is annoying water retention that can last a few days. Just drink plenty of water.
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    Options
    use the search feature with keywords like "breakfast" or "breakfast ideas"... there's a ton of great suggestions and ideas on a bunch of threads like this one http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1189354-healthy-breakfast-ideas?hl=breakfast+ideas#posts-18572961 :flowerforyou:
  • MamaShalyn
    Options
    I bought some choibani Greek vanilla yogurt and I'm wondering if something was wrong with it because it had a really weird taste. Is there one that tastes better than others and what is good in it?
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I love this for breakfast..
    1/2 cup dry oatmeal
    1 T b sugar
    1 T p butter
    1 banana
    Cinnamon

Cook oatmeal in 1 cup water and then add all other ingredients.
    Stays with you and so good..
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Every morning for the past 2 weeks I've been having:
    2 eggs, over easy (I use just a quick spray of olive oil PAM to fry)
    3 Brown and Serve turkey sausage links
    1 Piece of Dave's Killer Bread, thin, toasted. (with...
    4 g butter.
    Fits nicely into my macros with the added benefit of carrying me through lunch, or longer if it is crazy busy on my ambulance. I found that I had to bump up my breakfasts else I "hit a wall" at about 10am. NOT a good thing if I have a patient on my cot! The best part is that this takes 5 minutes to throw together with coffee!
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I bought some choibani Greek vanilla yogurt and I'm wondering if something was wrong with it because it had a really weird taste. Is there one that tastes better than others and what is good in it?

Hmm. Sometimes I get that with certain flavors. For breakfast, I do fage 0 % plain and mix in random things. Blueberries and other berries taste good in it too. Can't eat it straight though, unless it's a topping for something or used as an ingredient for a recipe, alone it tastes like sour cream. I don't have the link atm but if you have protein powder, there's an excellent recipe I found on here. Search function omg protein pancakes should pull it up. It's a crazy amount of protein for the calories. I love them.

As far as flavors, vanilla is kind of meh to me in anything it seems. I like the berry flavors or snacks I'm in love with the chobani flips.
  • rosettafaery
    rosettafaery Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    There are some nice breakfast options on this website:

http://www.blogilates.com/blog/category/recipe-index/healthy-breakfasts/

Two of my favourites are 'Berrylicious microwave minute muffin' and '100% Natural Pancakes Recipe'
  • mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Well first of all there's nothing wrong with brown sugar. I love a little brown sugar in my oatmeal, just make sure you're not putting in like...half a cup or something ridiculous. I usually put in 1/2 tbsp brown sugar or honey, along with 1 tbsp peanut butter, cinnamon, and either diced banana or raisins. Hands down my favorite comfort food breakfast.

My breakfast for a few days now: 2 eggs scrambled with chopped onion/mushroom/2 oz chicken/2 tbsp. shredded cheddar. Lightly seasoned with garlic salt. Very filling and delicious.

Also, try another brand of Greek yogurt. Different brands taste differently. You could do Greek yogurt with a drizzle of honey, berries, and nuts.

Just some ideas. :)
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Greek Yogurt with a little honey and cinnamon and celery and grapes in it is really good.
  • amm8589
    amm8589 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I eat two packages of the lower sugar oatmeal (maple brown sugar or apple cinnamon varieties) and a Dannon Light & Fit greek yogurt (usually blueberry or strawberry flavor). It's 300 calories total. The oatmeal is filling and the yogurt is sweet and high in protein.
  • kickivale
    kickivale Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    My fav breakfast right now:
    whole wheat tortilla wrap with scrambled egg white, chopped up jalapeño chicken sausage, tomatillo salsa, sprinkle of cojita cheese, black beans.
    Foe some people it might be too spicy or savory for the A.M, but its FULL of protein and quite low in calories.

Also if you don't love eating first thing, make a latte with a half scoop or full scoop of vanilla protein powder! On the days I get up super early I have that and it tides me over well.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with a little brown sugar in oatmeal. Just make sure it fits your calories for the day and you'll be fine.
    Other breakfast options that I like:

Banana with peanut butter
    Greek yogurt (I like the Dannon Lite & Fit Greek or the Yoplait Greek 100 - less calories, good flavors)
    Scrambled eggs with salsa in a tortilla
    Baked Oatmeal with fruit - recipe here: http://www.sohowsittaste.com/2012/06/blueberry-raspberry-baked-oatmeal.html
    Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal Squares - recipe here: http://www.food.com/recipe/healthy-peanut-butter-banana-oatmeal-bars-479492
    Egg Muffins (fill a muffin pan with eggs, ham, veggies, whatever and bake)
  • MamaShalyn
    Options
    The choibani flips are AWESOME!
  • Wishfulmom
    Wishfulmom Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Chobani is really thick and can taste a little bitter if you're use to other yogurts. I mix mine with raspberries and blackberries and sometimes a little almond milk to make it less thick, about a table spoons worth, I usually only have half a serving which is a half cup, and all the protein keeps me energized and less hungry throughout the day.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I have about 5 or 6 breakfast staples, and I usually vary them each day.

1. Eggs. Usually one whole and glug of whites, scrambled in the microwave. Add in whatever veg I have to hand - spinach is good, mushrooms, tomatoes, maybe some chopped ham, maybe a little cheese. Weekend treat - soft boiled egg with marmite soldiers.

2. Toast. I keep my carbs down, so I don't have this every day, but I keep some good quality seedy bread in the freezer and just toast it straight from frozen. Top with half an avocado, peanut butter and ginger jam, marmite and cottage cheese, hummus and sliced cucumber.

3. Oats. Either overnight oats (soaked in milk or fruit juice) with added seeds, honey, fresh fruit. Or hot porridge, maybe with some berries added.

4. Greek yoghurt. I add berries, flaxseed/ nut mixes. I like plain Fage, it's most versatile. I sometimes play around with similar products like fromage frais or quark.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options

Hmm. Sometimes I get that with certain flavors. For breakfast, I do fage 0 % plain and mix in random things. Blueberries and other berries taste good in it too. Can't eat it straight though, unless it's a topping for something or used as an ingredient for a recipe, alone it tastes like sour cream. I don't have the link atm but if you have protein powder, there's an excellent recipe I found on here. Search function omg protein pancakes should pull it up. It's a crazy amount of protein for the calories. I love them.

As far as flavors, vanilla is kind of meh to me in anything it seems. I like the berry flavors or snacks I'm in love with the chobani flips.
    Fage 0% plain yoghurt is amazing. I put in 1 tablespoon raw chestnut honey, walnuts and cinnamon. It is so delish.