Fasted Cardio

Options
Has anyone else tried this?

I tried it last week by doing cardio before breakfast, and lost 4 pounds for the week.

Replies

• rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I always do my runs during the week fasted, just don't get up early enough to eat. The weekends though I have noticed my workouts are a lot better if I eat something small an hour or 2 before hand. As far as losing weight, I think the only thing that really matters is calories in vs. calories out.
  • TayNLansNGraysDad
    TayNLansNGraysDad Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    As far as losing weight, I think the only thing that really matters is calories in vs. calories out.

You're right!
  • mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Fasted cardio vs not fasted has nothing to do with how much more or less weight you lose. It's simply a matter of what you prefer. I exercise on an empty stomach, mostly because I get up at 4:30 am to exercise and that's a little early to eat for me, and also because I just do better without food sloshing around in my stomach.

I agree that it's a matter of calories in vs. calories out instead of any kind of timing.
  • TayNLansNGraysDad
    TayNLansNGraysDad Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    This is an article I had saved in my favorites which led me to the question. It says you'll see results over time, but to me, any little advantage helps!

http://elitedaily.com/life/the-results-from-fasted-cardio/
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Fasted cardio vs not fasted has nothing to do with how much more or less weight you lose. It's simply a matter of what you prefer. I exercise on an empty stomach, mostly because I get up at 4:30 am to exercise and that's a little early to eat for me, and also because I just do better without food sloshing around in my stomach.

I agree that it's a matter of calories in vs. calories out instead of any kind of timing.

Agree! - The only time I eat before exercise is if I'm planning a really long run - an hour or more, then it's a piece of toast with jam or honey. Typically I do my workouts before breakfast - after and I no longer feel like it. However - you should be fueling your body within 30 minutes of completing exercise to replenish glycogen stores and help replace the protein your body will need to strengthen muscles.

cheers
  • adrienne0906
    adrienne0906 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Agree that I feel more energy if i eat something small before my workout. however...

i don't know if its just me or what, but when i run or do cardio, i get cramps and feel sick if there's ANYTHING in my stomach. even a small glass of water! weird. it's taken me a while, but if i wait around 2 hours after eating or drinking, it's fine.

thus, i usually do my workouts on a fast.