Subway

Options
Hi - New to the site and counting calories. For lunch I was ordering a Subway Flatizza w/pepperoni, spinach and onion---light sauce. I looked on their nutritional chart and saw that they listed it at 630 CALORIES!!! The 6 inch chicken breast on wheat is listed at 330 calories!!! I thought I was doing better w/the Flatizza since the flatbread is less than the 6 inch bread. Does anyone have any knowledge as to why the flatizza would be that much more in calories?

Replies

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Hi - New to the site and counting calories. For lunch I was ordering a Subway Flatizza w/pepperoni, spinach and onion---light sauce. I looked on their nutritional chart and saw that they listed it at 630 CALORIES!!! The 6 inch chicken breast on wheat is listed at 330 calories!!! I thought I was doing better w/the Flatizza since the flatbread is less than the 6 inch bread. Does anyone have any knowledge as to why the flatizza would be that much more in calories?

Pepperoni is very high in calories and fat.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    http://www.subway.com/nutrition/files/nutritionvalues.pdf

Doesnt seem to be a huge difference between 6" subs and flatbread sandwiches on here. Was it the pepperoni, maybe?
  • bf43005
    bf43005 Posts: 287
    Options
    Well for starters pepperoni vs. chicken breast. If you are talking just a 6 inch with chicken on wheat with nothing, then there's no veggies, sauce, cheese, etc. That could make a big difference when you add that stuff in. Maybe flatbread is more calories than the bread too. Can you look on their nutritional chart and breakdown the ingredients?
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    You have to do the research when counting calories. I used to just assume that certain things would be low calorie, and I also had a few unpleasant surprises.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Fat.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    It's the pepperoni, people.
  • celesti5
    Options
    Thanks for the info, I will definitely avoid pepperoni and for now will switch over to the chicken breast sandwich.
  • tasha_rena
    tasha_rena Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Just commenting on the bread choices - the 6" flatbread is 280 calories, while the wheat is 270, so they're pretty much the same in that regard. Lean protein, like chicken breast, is always going to be a more sound choice (whether you're focusing on macros or calories) than pizza toppings.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Go with the oven roasted chicken breast or turkey :)
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    6" turkey on wheat, no cheese. lots of vegies. swimming in vinegar. ~300 calories.
  • MsMaryMac48
    MsMaryMac48 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Just commenting on the bread choices - the 6" flatbread is 280 calories, while the wheat is 270, so they're pretty much the same in that regard. Lean protein, like chicken breast, is always going to be a more sound choice (whether you're focusing on macros or calories) than pizza toppings.

Also watch out for the sauce you choose. I always stick with yellow mustard on my 6" chicken breast since it has the least amount of calories. Many of their other sauces have lots of sugar as well. And load up on the veggies!
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    I don't know about Subway specifically but flatbread is usually fried.
  • celesti5
    Options
    Wow, I thought for sure the wheat sandwich bread would be more than the small square white flatbread. Definitely staying away from the evil pepperoni. :)
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Wow, I thought for sure the wheat sandwich bread would be more than the small square white flatbread. Definitely staying away from the evil pepperoni. :)

I love pepperoni. Just dont get it when eating out. Usually it is more grease covered and they put more than enough on there. I get the slices of deli pepperoni and just had a few slices to my own sandwiches to get my fix :)
  • Memorableheart
    Memorableheart Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I would eat Oven Roasted Chicken on Wheat.
  • Deadlay
    Deadlay Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    The "flatizza" is a play on words for pizza...it's pizza on a flatbread. Which is obvious...I don't see why it's a surprise it's loaded with calories.

And Subway is not health food...it's fast food. Don't let them fool you.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I think that the flatness of flatbread gives people the impression that it is much lower in calories than it actually is.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    The "flatizza" is a play on words for pizza...it's pizza on a flatbread. Which is obvious...I don't see why it's a surprise it's loaded with calories.

It's food. All food is food. Eating Subway is no different than going to the grocery store and buying bread, deli meat and veggies and putting them all together.
  • Deadlay
    Deadlay Posts: 135 Member
    Options

It's food. All food is food. Eating Subway is no different than going to the grocery store and buying bread, deli meat and veggies and putting them all together.

Thanks Captain Obvious. Food is food.

My point is some people will choose Subway over a burger joint believing they are making a better choice. Unless you are going to research calorie counts before ordering at Subway you will be shocked, as she was.
  • mccindy72
    Options

Thanks Captain Obvious. Food is food.

My point is some people will choose Subway over a burger joint believing they are making a better choice. Unless you are going to research calorie counts before ordering at Subway you will be shocked, as she was.

Please define 'fast food' versus 'health food'.