Fitbit Flex vs. One Review

Options

Replies

• malu22
    malu22 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was going to buy the Force because I like it's features but I don't like wearing anything on my arm and I don't like that extra count from arm movements, then I saw this review ( thank you ) so yesterday I decided to buy the fitbit one instead. I wasn't sure I was gonna like the band at night but then I just thought I wear bra 24hrs a day anyway so I can just keep my fitbit one clipped to the bra all the time. I used it last night without using the arm band and it worked out for me perfectly.
  • jrmas5
    Options
    Thank you for this post! I got mine for Christmas and had a broken leg at the time and sat A LOT. While sitting, I was reading about a friend using the flex and loving it. I was tempted to take mine back and get a flex. However, I opened the box 2 days ago and have started using it. Hearing your comparison makes me feel great about keeping this one. I went around the house yesterday counting my steps to see how accurate it was after I thought there is no way I just did 93 steps! Well, as it turned out, I had. Thanks again for your comparison.
  • JABE6283
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time to compare. I just recently purchased the One and was going to exchange it for the Flex. Now not going to. Though I love the thought of not having to transfer to the wrist holder each night, I think that the accuracy of the steps each day is a no brainer. I for one "talk" with my hands and always have something on my arm. Thanks again!!!!
  • dreamer48216
    Options
    I bought the One awhile back at Best Buy, and ended up returning it the next day, as it went flying off of my body several times in the one day I had it. I was scared I was going to lose it and would be out $100. I really liked the tracking and the features, but just not worth the risk, IMO.

I have a Flex arriving tomorrow though. Excited!
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I think all fitness trackers need to be taken with the same grain of salt one would take online calorie calculators and body fat scales with. At best you're probably always getting an estimate which you can use as a rough guide.
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I bought the One awhile back at Best Buy, and ended up returning it the next day, as it went flying off of my body several times in the one day I had it. I was scared I was going to lose it and would be out $100. I really liked the tracking and the features, but just not worth the risk, IMO.

I have a Flex arriving tomorrow though. Excited!

I really cant imagine the One "flying off of my body several times" in one day. I have mine clipped to my bra between my breasts facing in so the display is actually touching my skin. Unless my bra was loose, there is no way that thing is coming off.

My husband lost his because he had it in this pocket. He went to lunch pulled out his money clip and it fell out without him knowing it. At least that is what he thinks happened to it.

I have had mine for 10 months now and have not lost it once. I have not washed it either. I think this is because I am really aware of it as its my best weight loss "pal" these days. And I am down 45 lbs since I got the little guy so I like having it with me at all times.

Good luck with the Flex. I am sure you will do great with it. I dont even think the extra cals will make a marked difference for folks that have a fair amount of weight to lose over time but since I am essentially at maintenance, 100 or more extra cals a day will add up quickly.
    I think all fitness trackers need to be taken with the same grain of salt one would take online calorie calculators and body fat scales with. At best you're probably always getting an estimate which you can use as a rough guide.

All weight loss tools are estimators. The only accurate way to measure cals burned with weight loss in mind is in a controlled environment in a lab. Well this is not available to me so I use what I have.

I agree that the FB is a tool that gives calorie burn estimates but its a tracker that measures your actual movement to give you the best estimate possible. An online calculator cant monitor your activity all the time and therefore the cals burned are more guesses in the wind. And I dont use it with a grain of salt either. I fully trust this thing to spit out a number. If the number is where I want it to be, I am happy and eat my food. If its lower, I am less happy and I get my *kitten* off the couch and get moving so I can eat my food.

I disagree that its a rough guide. Since I have consistently lost what my deficit has been set, whether it be 1 lb a week or .5 lbs a week, I have to believe that if you are accurate in your food intake and using the FB to estimate the cals burned, its better than guessing or using one of the online calculators. I think its about as accurate as you can get outside of a lab, especially given the results I have achieved.

I have tried this before with using other calculators but I ended up with low calorie counts and therefore not eating enough food to make me happy. Now I eat all the food I earned (on average 1900 cals a day to eat) and still meet my goals. Thats a lot better than just sticking with MFP's number of 1450 to lose .5 lbs a week.

Many people are skeptical. I have no issue with that. But my results dont lie. You can go back through my diary and see every single bite of food that I have eaten. You can look at my fitness log and see every calorie I have burned. You can see on my tracker that I have lost weight. You can look at my photos to see that the weight came off also. It does work, when used correctly and when the food intake is accurately accounted for as well.
  • Escafre
    Escafre Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Holy crap, not only have you given the best review and advice I have ever read (you completely made me feel confident in my choice to go with the FitBit One) you're also an inspiration. I want to track my calories as much as I can, because this is a numbers game, so I want to feel confident in my choices throughout the day.

I had to keep reading your thread (and I never read full threads, NEVER comment, on MFP) to find out what heart rate monitor you use. I bought one for $80.00 at WalMart and was horrified at the fact that it FELL off my wrist when I bumped into a wall (with very little force). I'm pretty sure it wasn't very accurate either.

So, that being said, with the Polar FT60, can you tell me how it tracks your heart rate? Do you have to hold your finger against it, or does it have a strap? I don't usually say this to strangers, but after reading all you've had to say about the one, I really trust what you have to say.

Thanks, if you manage to see this and give a reply!
  • luckydays27
    Options
    Holy crap, not only have you given the best review and advice I have ever read (you completely made me feel confident in my choice to go with the FitBit One) you're also an inspiration. I want to track my calories as much as I can, because this is a numbers game, so I want to feel confident in my choices throughout the day.

I had to keep reading your thread (and I never read full threads, NEVER comment, on MFP) to find out what heart rate monitor you use. I bought one for $80.00 at WalMart and was horrified at the fact that it FELL off my wrist when I bumped into a wall (with very little force). I'm pretty sure it wasn't very accurate either.

So, that being said, with the Polar FT60, can you tell me how it tracks your heart rate? Do you have to hold your finger against it, or does it have a strap? I don't usually say this to strangers, but after reading all you've had to say about the one, I really trust what you have to say.

Thanks, if you manage to see this and give a reply!

The FT60 has a chest strap that I wear and it transmits the info to the watch. I can see my heart rate while working out and calories burned (big numbers). Once I am done with the workout can track cals burned, average heart rate, how much time I spent in each zone etc.

I like my FT60 but if you are looking for a good HRM for around $80 got for the Polar FT7. It does all the features that my FT60 does but for about $50 less.

Thanks for reading and liking what you read. I am only playing this numbers game like the rest of you. I have found what works for me and am so glad that its working.

If you want to know more, feel free to send a message or post again to the thread.
  • luckydays27
    Options
    For any that may be interested in seeing the progress so far, here is my 10 month update:

500 Calorie Deficit
    Cal Burn
    Cals Eaten
    39616 MAY (11-31)
    51468 JUNE
    58883 JULY
    57841 AUG
    58947 SEPT
    54756 OCT
    55538 NOV
    377049 TOTAL

Difference between burn and intake - 106640
    Divided by 3500 cals
    Estimated pounds lost based on the numbers 30.5 lbs
    Actual pounds lost 33 lbs

250 calorie deficit
    Cal Burn
    Cals Eaten
    57894 DEC
    54903 JAN
    35563 FEB 1-19
    148360 TOTAL

Difference between burn and intake - 22023
    Divided by 3500 cals
    Pounds lost based on the numbers 6.29 lbs
    Actual pounds lost 7 lbs

0 Calorie Deficit – Maintenance
    Cal Burn
    Cals Eaten
    17659 FEB 20-28
    22692 MAR 1-11
    40351 TOTAL

Difference between burn and intake - 556
    Divided by 3500 cals
    Pounds lost based on the numbers 0.15 lbs
    Actual pounds lost 2 lbs

So there are the 10 month numbers and I am down 45 lbs since I bought the Fitbit. I am now trying to focus on body fat loss instead of weight on the scale so that is why I am trying to eat maintenance. Current body fat is 22.7% as of Feb 19th per the hydrostatic test I had done.

I focus more on getting at least 115 grams of protein in a day (1 gram per lean body mass) than about eating less calories. I am eating on average 1950 cals a day and burning about 2050 according to the Fitbit. I love it since I am eating lots of food and still reaching my goals.

No doubt about it, I am one heck of a happy camper with my Fitbit. I don’t want to say I am a success yet because I am still working with figuring out maintenance but I am getting there. Since body fat is the goal now instead of actual weight, I am still a work in progress. But the Fitbit makes the process easier for me.
  • rdsxfn
    rdsxfn Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have the Flex and use it in conjunction with MFP. I've found the Flex to be accurate. No problems here.
  • mom24uk
    mom24uk Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your review luckydays27. It has helped me to decide which product I'll go for :happy:
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I think what one needs to bear in mind, is that it is not only steps that burn calories, but also other movements. The One counts only steps, the flex tends to also take into account other movement. I know people who have had success using the flex, and eating the calories it gives. All movement burns calories. One would soon find out if the flex was being over generous, by monitoring their weight, while eating to the goal it gives. I have both a One and a flex. The One ended up sitting in a drawer as it kept dropping off, or I forgot to put it on. I shall be interested to see how I get on eating at the level the flex has me at.
  • DeniseOmari
    Options
    Bought a Flex yesterday and it was extremely uncomfortable (I felt claustrophobic)... Nevertheless, I decided to sleep in it (big mistake) and I worked-out this morning (definitely wasn't accurate especially while cycling as I didn't use my arms much). Needless to say, I exchanged it for the One as soon as I left the gym! I am already loving this one so much more since I am used to trackers with displays and would much rather wear it incognito! :glasses:
  • stacibuk
    stacibuk Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I think what one needs to bear in mind, is that it is not only steps that burn calories, but also other movements. The One counts only steps, the flex tends to also take into account other movement. I know people who have had success using the flex, and eating the calories it gives. All movement burns calories. One would soon find out if the flex was being over generous, by monitoring their weight, while eating to the goal it gives. I have both a One and a flex. The One ended up sitting in a drawer as it kept dropping off, or I forgot to put it on. I shall be interested to see how I get on eating at the level the flex has me at.

I seem to burn calories in my sleep with the One. Which shows me that it takes into consideration calories burned during non-step activity.
  • Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    Options

I seem to burn calories in my sleep with the One. Which shows me that it takes into consideration calories burned during non-step activity.

That it does. It's a TDEE calculator.
  • marineslazaro
    marineslazaro Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    thanks for the information.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,427 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for this review! I currently have a body media but am tired of the bad tan lines, paying the subscription and having to plug it in to the computer to sync it. I've been debating between the One and the Flex and have friends with each and am quite torn! Your review is very helpful and congrats on your success!
  • skratchmykat
    Options
    Thank you, thank you for this review. I am a hairdresser and use my hands a bunch during the day, I never would have thought about my wrist movements being calculated as steps.
  • MichaelAndrewMitchell
    Options
    Thank so much for your post. I had already bought a flex, and have not been able to trust it all along, as I do a lot of stuff every day. I always wondered about it interpreting cooking, washing, laundry, etc as steps. Now you've convinced me that the One is what I should have bought. Not happy about my decision, but will suck it up and get a One.

Thanks for confirming what I suspected, though!
  • 04ward
    04ward Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    B