strength training questions

Options
I just started adding some strength training to my workout routine, before I was just doing some cardio. I met with one of the trainers at the gym, but he isn't a personal trainer and I don't feel like I got alot of good information from him. He said to do my machines before cardio, I'll burn more that way, which makes total sense. I just don't know that I'm doing enough on the machines before doing cardio. I typically do 2 reps on each and then head for the Arc trainer, but is that enough? Should I do 1-2 reps on each machine, and then go back to the beginning and do another 1-2 reps? I have no idea how much weight I should be using either. Do I use enough weight where I'm struggling to get through the end of my second rep? Any advice / help / tools would be extremely welcome!!!

Replies

• starbucksbuzz
    starbucksbuzz Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    You can look at some basic strength training plans online, there are a lot of options. Typically you want to do a varied amount of sets, and then repetitions in each set. For example when I do weight training I usually do 5-10 sets, and 3-8 reps per set with a break of 1-2 minutes between sets. I do 3-8 separate exercises (or in your case machines). Usually I do more sets when I'm at a heavier weight and can only do 3-5 reps, where as if it's a lighter weight and I can manage 8 reps I might do 3-5 sets depending on what it is. Not sure if that makes any sense to you. If you're interested in strength training I highly reccomend reading the New Rules of Lifting for Women. It gives a really great comprehensive overview.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Starting strength
    Strong lifts
    New Rules of Lifting (for women)
    Strong curves

get some education - it will help you and guide you.

How many reps you do will depending largely on what your goal is.

Lifting in rep ranges will fall loosely under the following guide
    Strength = 1- 5
    Strength/Size- 5-10
    Endurance 10-15

If you have done NO training at all- I highly recommend the 5-10 range at least to start- pushing pure strength as a newb is a dangerous thing to do.

Also terms- just so we are on the same page
    reps = how many lifts you at one time for a particular lift
    sets = how many groups of reps you do

I always right sets then reps- so for me
    Squats 1 x 20 one set of 20 reps of squats- so I only do one lift- do the squat 20 times and that's it- I'm done for squats
    Bench 3 x 12 three sets of 12 reps of bench- I'll bench 12 reps- rerack the bar- rest for a few minutes- then do another 12- and rest- then 12 more.

? make sense

typically you are only doing strength gains of 1-2 REPS for several sets- with long breaks when you get toward the power lifting spectrum.
  • mkemmis73
    mkemmis73 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    ok, so I've been doing 1-2 sets of 10 - 15 reps. I've been doing 30 - 50 lbs on each machine. I'm definitely going to get the books and do some additional research online. Does it make sense to do one set on one machine, move to a different machine and do one set, then go back to the original machine and do another set...or do I need to rest for that time period between sets?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    ok, so I've been doing 1-2 sets of 10 - 15 reps. I've been doing 30 - 50 lbs on each machine. I'm definitely going to get the books and do some additional research online. Does it make sense to do one set on one machine, move to a different machine and do one set, then go back to the original machine and do another set...or do I need to rest for that time period between sets?

There is a whole plan called "Time Under Tension" that rotates you between machines in between sets so yes, it makes sense, but I wouldn't say it is necessary.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    unless you own the gym- or it's exceptionally empty (Friday night/Saturday night) circuit's is frowned on- OR expect to wait if someon else is using it.

Esp if you are using machines- rest till you feel ready to go- unless you are going for a more cardio impact- then limit it to 30-90 seconds (again- goal dependent) My rests are usually a minute or so long- but if I"m doing heavy heavy lifts they are much longer- this is a listen to your body but don't let it be lazy kind of thing.

Typically most people do all their sets at once- then move to the next thing. It's efficient and courteous to everyone else at the gym.

If you deciede to do a circuit- don't expect someone to NOT use your equipment if you aren't on it.. if I do circuits- I pick one machine and then bring dumbbells with me or do body weight only- so I rotate quickly between all the things I'm doing and only hold up the machine for 10 minutes.

Doing a full circuit around the floor is annoying unless it's really empty.
  • starbucksbuzz
    starbucksbuzz Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    unless you own the gym- or it's exceptionally empty (Friday night/Saturday night) circuit's is frowned on- OR expect to wait if someon else is using it.

Esp if you are using machines- rest till you feel ready to go- unless you are going for a more cardio impact- then limit it to 30-90 seconds (again- goal dependent) My rests are usually a minute or so long- but if I"m doing heavy heavy lifts they are much longer- this is a listen to your body but don't let it be lazy kind of thing.

Typically most people do all their sets at once- then move to the next thing. It's efficient and courteous to everyone else at the gym.

If you deciede to do a circuit- don't expect someone to NOT use your equipment if you aren't on it.. if I do circuits- I pick one machine and then bring dumbbells with me or do body weight only- so I rotate quickly between all the things I'm doing and only hold up the machine for 10 minutes.

Doing a full circuit around the floor is annoying unless it's really empty.

That. It bugs me when people take up the whole gym at once. :P
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    So you met with a trainer...who's not a personal trainer...huh?

Anyway, the best advice I can give is to get away from the machines. You mentioned doing research online. You need to research free weight (dumbbell/barbell) exercises you can do instead of the machines:

Squats
    Lunges
    Deadlift
    Bench Press
    Back Rows
    Overhead Press

Machines do all the stabilizing for you, and work your muscles in positions/ways that are not functional in real life. Any trainer with any kind of credentials would not recommend a training program based strictly off machine work. Just my $.02.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options

He's an impersonal trainer. "Eh. Do what you want. Who cares?"
  • Polarpaly05
    Polarpaly05 Posts: 74 Member
    Options

Anyway, the best advice I can give is to get away from the machines. You mentioned doing research online. You need to research free weight (dumbbell/barbell) exercises you can do instead of the machines:

Squats
    Lunges
    Deadlift
    Bench Press
    Back Rows
    Overhead Press

Machines do all the stabilizing for you, and work your muscles in positions/ways that are not functional in real life. Any trainer with any kind of credentials would not recommend a training program based strictly off machine work. Just my $.02.

In an exercise where form matters and can prevent injury, not sure why you would suggest a proclaimed weight novice jump directly into free weights. If anything, the machines lock you into form and from there the OP can get a feel for what it is supposed to feel like.

Spend some time on the machines, learn what the movements feel like and the range of motion. And also your weight limits so you don't drop a dumbbell on yourself.
  • mkemmis73
    Options

That's how I feel. He just showed me the machines, how to use them, gave me some general guidance on doing machines before cardio, and that was it.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options

Squats
    Lunges
    Deadlift
    Bench Press
    Back Rows
    Overhead Press

In an exercise where form matters and can prevent injury, not sure why you would suggest a proclaimed weight novice jump directly into free weights. If anything, the machines lock you into form and from there the OP can get a feel for what it is supposed to feel like.

You can't get hurt on machines-really? You stated above, in addition to what I said, what exactly what is wrong with machines.
    Spend some time on the machines, learn what the movements feel like and the range of motion. And also your weight limits so you don't drop a dumbbell on yourself.

Bad advice. You won't learn squat about "the movements" because the machine is doing most of it for you! I train people all the time with free weights, and guess what, no one has got hurt yet! If you start light and learn the form, get the muscles and most importantly the joints/tendons/ligaments accustomed to the movement then the OP should have no issues.

Here's an excellent article on the subject:

http://pjmedia.com/lifestyle/2014/02/05/squats-presses-and-deadlifts-why-gyms-dont-teach-the-only-exercises-you-need/?singlepage=true
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

That's how I feel. He just showed me the machines, how to use them, gave me some general guidance on doing machines before cardio, and that was it.

Ah, he's the gym guide, probably shows the gym to walk-through's too.

And he's probably supposed to give just enough advice in a manner to make it desirous for you to ask about paying for a trainer.
  • uncharted01
    uncharted01 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I read and just started New Rules of Lifting for Women - I would highly recommend it! Lots of good info - good luck! :smile:
  • 93nan
    93nan Posts: 130
    Options
    Bump
  • mkemmis73
    Options
    Ah, he's the gym guide, probably shows the gym to walk-through's too.

And he's probably supposed to give just enough advice in a manner to make it desirous for you to ask about paying for a trainer.
    [/quote]

Typically I would agree with this, but it's Planet Fitness, so they don't have personal training sessions to buy. For the most part, it works for me, but I think at the end of my contract I'll switch over to LA Fitness. I just didn't want to spend an arm and a leg for a gym membership.