30 day shred, does it work?

Options
Im 5'5, 115 pounds, looking to tone up my squishy thighs, butt, and tummy. Ive looked around for results, but i havent really found anyone my size. I plan on doing level 1 for 10 days, level 2 for 10, and level 3 for 10 with 5 pound weights. Nothing ever seems to tone me up so im hoping this will be my saving grace.. should i do it? Im trying to get toned by May.

Replies

• abvickrey
    abvickrey Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I just ordered it off Amazon for $8 free shipping! I start it on Wednesday -- here's to hoping it works!
  • ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people on here have had great luck with it. Personally, I think it's an evil workout. :)

I do like to spread the word, however, that you can find it free on YouTube. And not a grainy crappy version, either--it's the real, full 30 day shred.
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    "It" doesn't work.

You do. ;)
  • kjo9692
    kjo9692 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't think it's going to help you toning, but it will help you reduce BF% from the results that I've seen. There's a 30 Day Shred group here and you can see the results there. Since you will lose BF you might be able to see the muscles under your fat and this may give you the "toned" look if you have enough lean mass but if you want to increase muscle you have to lift way heavier than that and eat at a surplus.

But it is a great workout though :) I love it! It serves its purpose.
  • LosingMyMarbles
    LosingMyMarbles Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I did it last year and yes, it does work, if you do. I don't know your fitness level, but don't be rigid on the 10/10/10 plan. I did like 15 days of level 1, then 10-12 of level 2 and then two weeks of level 3. You'll know when you're ready to move up. I didn't lose a lot weight wise, but definitely lost inches and toned up. I need to do it again...
  • Orion782
    Orion782 Posts: 391
    Options
    Depends on your definition of success. I personally have an issue with the title saying "shred" in it, because VERY FEW people are capable of getting anywhere near "shredded" in 30 days. If she called it a 90 day shred, then it would be much more realistic. Unless you are already in the teens for body fat, don't expect anyone to mistake you for being "shredded" in a month...

Ok, rant over. That being said, everything I've heard about the workout is good. You get out of it what you put into it, and that goes for your diet as well. You can do all the HIIT you want, but if your diet is crap, you're gonna look/feel like crap too.

I have also heard it's somewhat mundane, as there isn't much variation to the workout routines. Conversely, something like Insanity or Focus T25 mixes it up a lot, so you don't ever really get bored by the schedule.

Lastly, at 5'5" and 115 lbs, you would probably see just as good if not better results from hitting the squat rack and doing deadlifts....
  • camithecutiee
    Options
    Okay thanks for the replies! I just have extra skin that im looking to tighten and tone. Not really looking to gain tons of muscle :)
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    I liked it. Did it a few years ago, but for a 20 minute workout daily... you'll lose inches more than weight. The first part might be boring but the second week is much better. :)
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Tone your skin by getting a tan, or a massage, and being properly hydrated. You can't tone your skin by doing a workout video.

If what you mean is you want a tight, toned appearance with some definition, then that requires building muscle. In order to build muscle, you have to lift weights. If you want to build muscle with any speed whatsoever, you must lift HEAVY weights. You will not "bulk up" or "get big, like those bodybuilding women" by lifting heavy weights. You will not build muscle lifting light weights in a cardio program, like 30 Day Shred.

Good luck in your fitness goals!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Okay thanks for the replies! I just have extra skin that im looking to tighten and tone. Not really looking to gain tons of muscle :)

Your skin couldn't care less if you exercise, it is just revealing what is underneath. If you think you look flabby at your height and weight it is because you are lacking muscle.
  • suncluster
    suncluster Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I have never done the workout for 30 days straight but I occassionally do Level 2 when I only have 20 minutes.
    It is an excellent use of the time.

Very thankful that you can set the audio option to play music over Jillian's voice. :noway:
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Gaining muscle is EXTREMELY hard...for guys. For how hard it is for men to put it on, it's exponentially harder for females, so don't worry about gaining "tons of muscle".....especially since 30DS is mostly a cardio workout and you're topping out with 5lb weights.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Depends on your definition of success. I personally have an issue with the title saying "shred" in it, because VERY FEW people are capable of getting anywhere near "shredded" in 30 days. If she called it a 90 day shred, then it would be much more realistic. Unless you are already in the teens for body fat, don't expect anyone to mistake you for being "shredded" in a month...

Ok, rant over. That being said, everything I've heard about the workout is good. You get out of it what you put into it, and that goes for your diet as well. You can do all the HIIT you want, but if your diet is crap, you're gonna look/feel like crap too.

I have also heard it's somewhat mundane, as there isn't much variation to the workout routines. Conversely, something like Insanity or Focus T25 mixes it up a lot, so you don't ever really get bored by the schedule.

Lastly, at 5'5" and 115 lbs, you would probably see just as good if not better results from hitting the squat rack and doing deadlifts....

Agreed.
  • camithecutiee
    Options
    im not sure how to start lifting weights, thats why im trying to find workout videos to do instead. I only have one set of weights that are really old and im not sure how heavy they are.. does anyone have any advice on how to start at home?
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    im not sure how to start lifting weights, thats why im trying to find workout videos to do instead. I only have one set of weights that are really old and im not sure how heavy they are.. does anyone have any advice on how to start at home?

Start the 30 Day Shred today on youtube. If you are really out of shape, it will start you on the path to building more muscles. However, if you can do all of the pushups, then the rest of the exercises are going to seem pretty lame - it isn't very well balanced.

Afterwards, look into bodyweight exercises. There are some free videos on fitnessblender.com, there is an app called "you are your own gym", or there are a number of programs designed to help you build up to do more pushups, pullups, squats, tricep dips...just about any bodyweight activity possible.
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I love the 30DS! Its one of my favorite workouts. I switch it up now and do the different levels depending on what I feel like doing that day. I also use heavier weights on some of the exercises too. I do a combo of the 30DS and walk/run on the treadmill as well as logging on MFP everyday and it has worked great for me.

If you stay within your calorie goal and add some extra cardio to the 30DS, then it can work. I got it for under $10 at Walmart and its been some of the best $$$ I have spent on an exercise video. Ripped in 30 is a good one too! Good luck!!
  • cerulence
    cerulence Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Maybe if you want to tone up you should try Ripped in 30? same kind of workout (30 minutes, cardio/strenght/abs/several levels), or if you want to keep with other Jillians Michael's vids there's Killer buns and Thighs (same kind of workout) and No More Trouble Zone, but that one is longer (about 50 minutes). I haven't tried the two last ones but a few of my friends did and I have to admit the vids deliver. I'm doing Ripped in 30 and I can see changes in my body.
  • Orion782
    Orion782 Posts: 391
    Options

Yes, hang around here long enough and you will come to realize that lifting weights will NOT make you "bulky", especially as a female. You have to eat above maintenance and have a pretty substantial protein to lean body mass intake to worry about becoming "too muscular" or whatever...

There are a lot of chicks (I say that as an empowering term, lol) on here that lift HEAVY, do squats, deadlifts, etc and are sexy beyond belief. HIIT will only get you so far, and you can still end up being "skinny-fat" at the end of such a program if you have no muscle TONE to show off.

The key here - at the risk of being repetitive - is that your SKIN DOES NOT TONE...MUSCLE TONES and the absence of FAT reveals that.
  • tjoy711
    tjoy711 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Can someone who done the 30 day shred help me