Potassium Sources

Options
What is your favorite or best source of potassium? I'm new to this and I'm consistently way below my goal for daily potassium. Already getting a daily multi-vitamin through Herbal Life shake. I'll eat bananas but don't want to every day. Suggestions?

Replies

• lunapetu0311
    Options
    Hi! White beans, avocados and potatoes are also high in potassium. As well as coconut water. :)
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    all fruits and vegetables, as well as meats, fish, nuts and starches like potatoes have potassium. if you're eating a lot of whole foods and not so much processed stuff your potassium level should be fine.

also many foods dont have their potassium listed on the database so dont worry too much
  • kellydspaulding7
    Options
    Thank you!
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Coffee! There's 116mg potassium in 8oz. of coffee (which has 2 calories).
  • kw85296
    kw85296 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Dates are actually a better source of potassium than bananas.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    the recording of potassium levels in foods on this site are not all they might be.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Fish and veggies are great sources of potassium as others have said. As a slightly random suggestion, Isopure mint chocolate chip protein powder actually has 730mg of potassium in 2 scoops. I had no idea it was loaded with potassium when I bought it, but it was a pleasant surprise. :tongue:
  • RockStarlaa
    RockStarlaa Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes!
  • ladycadaverous
    ladycadaverous Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Kiwi is higher in potassium than bananas:)
  • drp10cornell
    Options
    Mushrooms and spinach. And pistachios, one of my all-time favorite treats!
  • servicedograiser
    servicedograiser Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Club Soda! (be sure you check the label as some is made with sodium) Bubbles and no calories, no sweeteners.

Of course now I need to buy some kiwi and dates!
  • Paleohawk
    Paleohawk Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I usually drink 32 ounces bottle of water that are mixed with a packet of Emergen-c Eletromix. It have 400 mg potassium. To get more potassium sources from baked potato, cooked beans, sweet potatoes, and some good fruits like banana and mangoes. All I can tell you which good potassium I get from. I had talked with a pharmacist about the safety of dosage on potassium. He told me that how much I take, as long as it is safe with no symptoms of cramps or irregular heartbeats. I knew it is impossible to reach the level of acceptable amounts of potassium every day but I do my best to take whatever I can get potassium from.
  • sillyvalentine
    sillyvalentine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    The best sources of potassium per 100g are:

Dried Apricots = 1162 mg
    Salmon = 628 mg
    White beans = 562mg
    Spinach = 558mg

Bananas are actually quite low in potassium compared to these at just 358mg per 100g.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Here is a link to some suggestions for you.
    http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/food-sources-of-potassium.php

Also, I use a Sodium-free salt substitute which replaces the Sodium with Potassium. (It tastes just like regular salt.)

Cheers.
  • erikmsp72
    erikmsp72 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Coffee and orange juice. Also grapes and raisins.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Milk and bananas and I'm pretty sure chocolate has K*, too.

*too lazy to spell out potassium:tongue:
  • dpvike80
    dpvike80 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Swiss chard, lima beans and sweet potatoes are good sources-