Filling, quick breakfast

Options
So I really suck at eating breakfast, and I'd like to work on that.

What do people recommend for a filling but also quick breakfast? I don't have a luxurious 1/2hr to spend whipping up shirred eggs and english muffins with homemade strawberry compote.. ;) I had tried making a bunch of hard-boiled eggs on Sundays to tide me for the week, but a few days out they tend to taste rubbery and blecch.

If it's portable for the commute, even better, but I'll take what I can get.

(side note: Preventing the obvious suggestion - I hate oatmeal. It's a visual/smell/texture thing that triggers intense nausea, so that's right out.)

Replies

• hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Both Jimmy Dean and Special K make breakfast bowls/sandwiches that are good, if you aren't opposed to frozen convenience food. I try to make myself egg beaters in muffin tins on the weekend (just pop in microwave during the week); they might not get as rubbery as your hardboiled eggs, especially if you add sauteed veggies. I also like the nature valley protein granola, but it has a high calorie count for the amount you get in a serving.

(I only recently got over my intense nausea related to oatmeal, so I feel your pain there.)
  • Zaftique
    Zaftique Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    That may be worth a shot, actually. Homemade "breakfast burgers". :D

Also, your icon sent me to the floor with the loling. ;) I heard dihydrogen monoxide is super dangerous, man. You can die if you breathe it.
  • VictoryGin12
    VictoryGin12 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I just clicked on this to post my pumpkin oatmeal recipe, but I guess that's off the table for you!

When you have time, I'd suggest an egg white/egg beaters omelet, filled with a little sharp cheese (0.3-0.5 oz is plenty) and some baby spinach (or any leftover vegetable you have on hand). With the cartons of egg substitutes and bags of baby spinach, this literally takes 2-3 minutes from fridge to plate. While you might not be able to take it with you, it's a great, quick meal.

A few chopped almonds (and raspberries/blackberries, if you have them) into vanilla greek yogurt is awesome, and a little more portable.
  • ibleedunionblue
    ibleedunionblue Posts: 324 Member
    Options
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt with berries.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    coffee.

i seldom eat breakfast. if you're not hungry, don't eat. there is no hard science to either support or despute the effects of eating within a certain amount of time of waking up.

today i woke up at 430am, and had two big cups of coffee throughout the morning. i had some oatmeal at about 9:30am when i was hungry.
  • bradXdale
    Options
    3/4 Cup Oats (~100 cals)
    1 Scoop of Whey (any flavor) (~150 cals)
    1 TBSP Peanut Butter (~90 cals)
    Cup or so of Almond milk (~90 cals)

Pour oats & milk together.

Cook on high 1-2 mins in microwave.

Stir in peanut butter & whey.

Enjoy.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    My usual breakfast is a sandwich made from two pieces of buttered toast, one slice of cheese, and three fried eggs. Quick, easy, and I can eat it while driving to work.
  • WoWkat
    WoWkat Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I like sleep more than anything, so my mornings are always rushed. I keep Quest bars in my desk for when I'm hungry in the morning. They have 20 grams of protein and are SO incredibly filling (I've never found any other bars to be filling).

They aren't actually "food" I guess, but it's better for me to eat one when I'm starving than run downstairs to the coffeeshop for coffee cake.
  • dirtbikegirl5
    dirtbikegirl5 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I don't like oatmeal either, but this is mostly because the carb intake frightens me to no end.

On Sunday, I get a small round cake tin and I put egg beaters, kale, spinach, tomato, (sometimes mushrooms) and I bake it. When done, I cut it up into individual servings and put it in the frig in tupperware. You can mix some shredded or parmesan cheese in it, while you are baking it, ifyou like.

I also sometimes will eat plain fage 0% fat yogurt, with honey. The texture of that may bother you, but it is a suggestion.
  • Dino924
    Dino924 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Make a bunch of turkey sausage (or chicken sausage) patties. they freeze well and reheat quickly in the microwave, put on an english muffin, toast etc. Can wrap in tin foil and take it with you.

Toast with peanut butter.

Protien shakes.

Fruit/yogurt/granola.
  • cindytjohnson39
    Options
    We make breakfast burritos by the dozens and freeze them. You can put anything you want in them. We made them with scrambled eggs, turkey sausage, fresh spinach, cheese. They freeze really nicely and you pull one out in the morning and throw it in the microwave. Ta da....BREAKFAST....enjoy!
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Peanut Butter Sandwich with a cup of coffee.

Occasionally, I'll switch it up and do an fry a couple eggs and slap it on toast with a squirt of ketchup.

Jimmy Dean bowls are pretty good but $$$ for what you get.
  • qtrhorsegirl1
    qtrhorsegirl1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you have time light multi grain english muffin, toasted (cal 100) 2 slices of sndwich ham (cal 30) 1 slice of cheese (1/2 for muffin..1/2 for dogs treat: cal 40) 15 seconds in the microwave. Awsome for one handed driving! Good, low cal and filling
  • daisyellow
    daisyellow Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    You can make a frittata in advance and pop a slice in the microwave for 45 seconds before eating. If you make it with mostly (or all) egg whites, it can be super low cal and very high protein. (I have a great recipe/method if you're interested.)

If you need to take breakfast with you, the fruit+nut combo is healthful and super portable.
  • ndiciano
    ndiciano Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I eat my breakfast on the go as well. I make my eggs in a large mug in the microwave and just add whatever cheese, veggies, morningstar patties that I have on hand. If you're using a morningstar sausage patty (or any other sausage patty/crumbles) spray your mug with nonstick spray or mist with olive oil and heat patty for 45 seconds. Next add eggs (I use three egg whites) and microwave in 30-45 second intervals depending on your microwave. When you have about 20 seconds left to cook add the cheese. Another portable breakfast that I enjoy is Greek yogurt with cereal or granola mixed in. I use one small greek yogurt container and 1/3 cup granola or whatever the suggested serving size of the cereal happens to be.
  • tararag
    tararag Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Well unfortunately oatmeal is probably one of the best things, I LOVE oatmeal and could eat it for every meal. If you're willing to try it out again try Nature's Path Organic Oatmeal (My favorite flavor is Maple Nut) with some milk.

Now if that still isn't for you I would go for a quick scrambled eggs and toast OR make filling smoothies the night before and be able to grab & go on your way out in the morning!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt with berries.

Flavored greek - add 3 Tbl Fiber One & 2 Tbl slivered almonds.....protein, fat & fiber all rolled into 1
  • jimboburgess
    Options
    I found that eggs and bacon (protein) tide me over much better until lunch than any fruit or starch in the morning.

As for eggs;
    Keep hardboiled eggs in the the shells and they'll keep longer. Here's how i make them. Place as many eggs in water just covering over the eggs and bring the water to a boil. Cold water if cold eggs, but it's better to use room temp. once it starts boiling shut off the heat and set a timer for 8-10 minutes. I find 8 minutes is about tops for large eggs, maybe trim it a bit for creamier yolks. I only ever make 3-4 eggs at a time.

Breakfast burgers are a good idea. just eat them without buns and you won't have to worrying about the extra cals.
  • delta1227
    delta1227 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    i alternate: oatmeal, trader-joe's shredded wheat(no sugar) and almond milk, nature's path optimum slim and almond milk