toning knees

Options
Not looking for a miracle (If only)
I have chubby legs, am dieting to reduce weight and fat and I know this will help with time. (I have seen some improvement).
I do run and I have just started doing lunges.
I am wondering if anyone has any workouts to help tone the knee area.
Thanks, Birdie

Replies

• HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Toned knees?

Your knee is basically skin, bone, tendons and ligaments. Build the muscle around it, that might improve appearance, but then again it might not. Depends a bit on what you believe a knee should look like...
  • stutba
    stutba Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I am 45 female, weigh around 172, 5,5". I tend to carry weight throughout my body, less in the middle section, more in my legs and arms. I am doing some lifting for the arms and lunges and running for legs. Just wondering if there is anything that will help the knees?
    I guess I just have fat knees then. Even when I am slim, I have what I would call chubby knees. Maybe there aren't any exercises that tone knees.
    Thanks anyway
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    You can't tone any body part, and knees is mostly muscle and bone I think.
    Just eat at slight deficit, make sure you get enough protein, lift some weight and probably get a more realistic idea about what a knee should look like.

It could be you're retaining fluid in your legs, that can give you swollen knees and feet I think. In this case it's also a case of moving more and eating enough.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I'm talking strengthening and firming here as far as 'toned', so no hope of spot reduction, no:

The sorts of exercise recommended for knee injuries will strengthen the surrounding muscles in general, so Google PT exercises for those for a start (or do a good lifting program in general, which also does it).

But if you are talking about that specific muscle on the inside side of the knee, I have to say that this is where ballet 'leg lift' type movements really hits it like nothing else I've done except for certain kicks.

Basically, moves where the leg is lifted straight (with turnout) or slightly to the side does wonders for the sartorius on down to that little muscle. Some martial arts kicks work there as well (but there needs to be some side action, using the adductors to begin the move). I don't notice the same effect with bent-knee lifts, so that's why I'm giving this personal tip :) Straight legs are good sometimes! Don't always work the knees bent (imho).
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and had "fat knees," as well. I lost 30 lbs., and they are looking much smaller. My thighs, though...which led to the appearance of "thigh-knees" (lack of separation between the thigh and the knee), are still a work in progress. I started weight lifting, and I hope that will give me better definition between my butt and my thighs, and my thighs and my knees. You should try it, too. Weighted squats and deadlifts are awesome!
  • stutba
    stutba Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Thanks to you both. I will look into those exercises and yes I know you cant spot reduce, but I know that I have seen some improvements In the toning of my arms and legs with what I am doing. I had hoped that there was something for knees too. (if no toning, strengthening cant hurt)
    I know my most improvement will be from fat loss.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Thanks to you both. I will look into those exercises and yes I know you cant spot reduce, but I know that I have seen some improvements In the toning of my arms and legs with what I am doing. I had hoped that there was something for knees too. (if no toning, strengthening cant hurt)

Yes, that's true, but you might as well work on definition, while you're at it. My only regret is wishing I'd have started exercising sooner! I love it, and I've never loved exercise, before.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

fat typically leaves in the reverse order it came... so if you pack on weight down low- and it works it's way up- it will leave in the same way- only backwards. and typically women pack on weight low- and it moves high- occasionally it's the other way- or just ALL over- but typically the reason women get frustrated with the lower body is because the upper body loses fat first- gets definition and the low body is hanging on to fat.

I'm big for a girl- up top- and I have solid quads too- people comment on them in workout capris- when they are unflexed- so I mean- it's noticable- but I still have muffin top- and some quality thigh chub. It is what it is- you will probably keep some remaining fat unless you start to push the teens in your BF%- most people don't like that look- but it'll happen- it just takes time- and persistence.

But no there isn't anything you can do about the knee thing- just keep lifting and doing things. It'll happen.