Third try the luky one?

Options
Being only 21, I've gone through a lot in the last few years that has made my life pretty hard to deal with.

My first time losing my weight I managed to get up the motivation I needed to be able to fit into my grad dress for the end of my school year. That goal came easy to me. Once grad was over life started, and I started to gain again. I gained an amazing bf, but the one problem being is he only weighs about 120 pounds and can eat whatever he wants whenever he wants and lose weight.. Drives me crazy. I started eating the same portions as him for a while and that's how I gained my weight back.

My second time losing weight was last year. I was to the point that I was starting to feel great about myself and be able to buy new clothes without it being XL. That felt amazing. Had lost almost 30 pounds. But after I switched jobs and then got let go due to lack of work a week before Christmas I managed to hit rock bottom and within the few weeks that I spent with my family and the time around new years I gained my weight back again. My body seems to settle my weight around 180 when I gain.

This is my third time losing weight. What can I do to make sure it stays off? I need more people to motivate me; having a bf that has never had to watch what he eats is hard because he just doesn't understand how hard it is. This time around I made sure that starting to lose my weight during winter would be easier by buying an elliptical trainer. Is there anyone out there to motivate, to give advice, or share their plans on how they manage to not gain the weight back?

Replies

• RockingThis
    Options
    This is my thrid time around as well. I've been stressed out so much about so many things i went back food for comfort and gained it all back. I am sick of it and have to change. I need to find this will power and do this right. No more eating what my in laws eat all the time because it's easy and fast! We can do this! Maybe we can cheer each other on?
  • vannaly92
    vannaly92 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Sounds Great!!
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    To not gain it back you can not look at it like once you lose the weight its back to the old ways - You have to stay focused on what your eating and keep working out . This has to be your new way of living , there is no end because we then have to focus on maintaining so we do get to eat more just not go crazy.
  • vannaly92
    Options
    The problem is its not the going back to eating bad that starts everything, its stress that takes over in my life. I find I just lose track when I am worried about everything else.
  • hatterasclayer
    hatterasclayer Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I usually find that the things that are stressing me out are things outside of my control so I make myself think of my eating and my exercise as things that I can control.

I also try to remember that eating will not take away the thing(s) that are stressful and that later I will regret the weight I gain if I use food to combat stress. I also find that exercising is a great way to de-stress. Taking 30 minutes of me time to go for a run and let go of the thing that's stressing me works wonders for me!
  • MaJacobs75
    Options
    I have struggled a few times myself, and until I had a reality check I have finally stayed on track and its really showing more results then I have ever had! I would love to help out a new friend!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    -set a reasonable calorie goal. Don't starve yourself and then be susceptible to binges because you restricted everything so much. (set MFP to lose 1 pound per week)
    -don't cut out entire food groups and label them as "good" or "bad". Eat what you normally eat, but smaller portions to fit your calorie goals. To help meet your calorie goals you might replace some of the higher calorie things for lower calorie ones, because you can eat more volume of lower cal foods. But if you like pizza for example, have one slice of pizza, and a salad.
    -get some exercise, even if it is just walking.
    -when you reach your goal, learn what your maintenance level of calories is, and don't eat more than that.
  • vannaly92
    Options
    Thank you for all the advice everyone! It's amazing!
  • premiumchilenita
    premiumchilenita Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I am an emotional eater and I eat when I'm celebrating and eating when stressed. This is my 5th time losing weight, I think. Everytime, I learn more and more and hoping that this will be my last and really learn how to maintain.
    What I've learnt is that we need to take the food out of our emotions, have a plan, when something gets stressful, try and reward yourself or make yourself feel better by other means than food. Trust me, I know it's easier said than done, but we don't usually prepare ourselves positively than we do negatively. I'm sure you have said to yourself before "if this happens, I'm going to get so upset" but its more unusual to say "if this happens, I'm going to be happy and smile and respond with cheer". But we need to set ourselves up positively.
    This time I have made a decision that I don't want to celebrate things around food, I want to do other things.
    I'm still working on the stress food eating but I can see I'm more aware of it now.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Oh, I forgot something else important. When you have an off day, and you will have an off day...... do not feel like a failure. Don't quit. If you goof up at lunch, plan a lighter dinner (have an omelet). If you have a few bad days in a row, again, don't quit. It is about consistency over the long term. A few days here or there isn't going to be that big of a deal, but if you quit, then you will never get there.