Plateau? Help!

Options
So I'm not sure what's going on and I need help. I've been stuck at 137 for about 4 weeks (I bounce around 137-138 each day, never more than 139 never less than 137, mostly 137 though).

I weigh everything.
I log honestly.
I'm not new to exercise (I've been HIGHLY active my entire life)
I measure myself, in the past 2 weeks, no change in measurements.

My BMR is 1362. I eat TDEE (sedentary)-20% which is 1391 + 50% exercise calories.

I've gone over +100 twice and I went way over +1200 after 8 hours of exercise and my previous day was NET 200 (another day of 8 hours of ice climbing and I was SO tired I couldn't eat, I passed out without dinner-- we had an epic day where we were on top of a mountain and a snow storm rolled in and the sun set.) so those two days averaged I was still net under my calories.

Otherwise I'm in the green.

Am I at a plateau? Do I need to just be patient?

For exercise, I rock climb, ice climb, CrossFit, and do HIIT work on my bicycle trainer.

Edit: my legs look better (no more cellulite) and feel more firm. So changes are happening, but is this muscle building?!

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Initial impression is, you may be close enough to goal weight where 20% deficit is too aggressive. Also, how much protein are you getting? You probably are not building muscle on a calorie deficit.
  • LTKeegan
    LTKeegan Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I'm aiming for 104g of protein and getting close most days. (I'm pescatarian, so I'm having a hard time getting over 100g-- I'm pescatarian due to allergies, so not helpful to suggest eating meat)

My goal weight is 125.

I'm eating (on normal fitness days) 1390-1650 cal
  • LTKeegan
    Options
    You probably are not building muscle on a calorie deficit.

That's what I thought. I'm just wondering what this is. If I were a women's magazine, I would call it "toning". However, I know that's a BS term
  • deksgrl
    Options
    Since you are only about 12 pounds from goal, I would do TDEE - 10% instead of 20%. Keep working on trying to keep the protein up.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Since you are only about 12 pounds from goal, I would do TDEE - 10% instead of 20%. Keep working on trying to keep the protein up.

QFT
  • craigheon
    craigheon Posts: 167 Member
    Options

Agreed! More weight training too if you can. This will help blast you past this plateau.
  • rach503
    rach503 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Bumping to follow along...

I'm struggling with the same thing. I just told myself I'm going to not weigh myself for 3 weeks & see where I am "on the other side". I'm noticing that I'm more toned, but that dang weight number won't budge. Trying to get less fixated on it. Also, I've been HUNGRY lately, so I tried reducing my goal from -2lbs/wk to -1.5lbs/wk. Not sure what will be my outcome, but trying not to stress about it. Let me know if you find something that works for you!
  • emilykw31
    emilykw31 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Ever consider that maybe your body fat % has gone down? Just got my body fat # checked out this morning, I was pleasantly surprised! I just know I get crazy frustrated with the scale because my weight is not like my friends'... and I have to remind myself that I have a lot more muscle and also am taller than the average girl.

http://www.bodyfattest.com/
  • LTKeegan
    Options

Agreed! More weight training too if you can. This will help blast you past this plateau.

I lift a lot and it hasn't been helping. Well, I guess it hasn't been hurting, but it isn't pushing me over the plateau.
  • LTKeegan
    Options
    Ever consider that maybe your body fat % has gone down? Just got my body fat # checked out this morning, I was pleasantly surprised! I just know I get crazy frustrated with the scale because my weight is not like my friends'... and I have to remind myself that I have a lot more muscle and also am taller than the average girl.

If I'm eating at a deficit and therefore not able to build muscle, I'm not sure how my % body fat can go down without losing weight. Also, my measurements haven't changed in the last two weeks.

This is my biggest confusion. Because I would think that yes, my %body fat is changing, because I'm noticing a physical difference in my legs, but no numbers are changing (weight, measuremtns) so I'm not sure how this can be happening.

HOW AM I "TONING" WHEN TONING ISN'T A REAL THING!?! I'M SO CONFUSED AS TO WHAT IS GOING ON WITH MY BODY RIGHT NOW!
  • LTKeegan
    Options

QFT

What does QFT mean?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

QFT

What does QFT mean?

quoted for truth.
  • deksgrl
    Options

If I'm eating at a deficit and therefore not able to build muscle, I'm not sure how my % body fat can go down without losing weight. Also, my measurements haven't changed in the last two weeks.

This is my biggest confusion. Because I would think that yes, my %body fat is changing, because I'm noticing a physical difference in my legs, but no numbers are changing (weight, measuremtns) so I'm not sure how this can be happening.

HOW AM I "TONING" WHEN TONING ISN'T A REAL THING!?! I'M SO CONFUSED AS TO WHAT IS GOING ON WITH MY BODY RIGHT NOW!

You can reduce body fat without your weight going down.
  • DedicatedRepublic
    Options
    What are your current goals? From your post I can only assume it is weight loss? But how much? How tall are you?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    So I'm not sure what's going on and I need help. I've been stuck at 137 for about 4 weeks (I bounce around 137-138 each day, never more than 139 never less than 137, mostly 137 though).

so you're not really stuck then, are you?
  • LTKeegan
    Options

You can reduce body fat without your weight going down.

But I have to replace it with muscle to get my weight to not go down and I thought you can't build muscle on a deficit. This is my confusion.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Why are you set for sedentary if you are highly active and exercise regularly?
  • LTKeegan
    Options
    What are your current goals? From your post I can only assume it is weight loss? But how much? How tall are you?

I'm 5'6" my goal is to be a better climber and part of that goal is to increase my power to weight ratio. I would like to drop weight (and keep the same, or increase power a little-- I've got a coach helping me with this part) but I've put on some weight in grad school, so I'd like to lose that and get back to about 125-130lbs.
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    I am nowhere near you are, but I just came off of plateauing for 2+ weeks. Here's my own solution:

1. Make sure you are going #2, and I mean big ones, not just small rocks. Getting stuff out is important. I eat air popped popcorn as a snack & put brewer's yeast on it and lecithin (as well as Kernal Seasonings & I spray it with vinegar, but that's me & how I like it). Popcorn is super fibrous and is now considered a superfood.

2. Affirmations before you go to bed, like "my body is losing weight, I feel great, my body is releasing the weight", works too.

GL!! :)

PS, your body in the photo looks amazing, so great job so far!
  • becs3578
    becs3578 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I am having the same problem. About 10-9 lbs to goal.... and be fluxuating the same lbs for weeks pretty much. Been told my net calories might be the issue with all the working out. I am sending my diary for a 7 day span to a dietitian in my Crossfit class and hoping to get some help.

I know how frustrating it is.. but you are doing great!