Success stories by just staying under your calorie goals

Options
Does anyone have any success stories where they mainly just stayed under their calorie goal? I know exercise is important too and I plan on incorporating it but having herniated discs in my back makes it hard. I know diet plays the biggest part so I'm looking to hear from anyone who mainly just stayed under their calorie goals with portion control still ate pretty much the same foods just cut out junk and watched portions and lost weight. Thanks!

Replies

• jhellwig828
    jhellwig828 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    For the most part - me. When I started out in October I was all gung-ho to workout and I was doing Jillian Michael's dvds and walking a lot. Then the weather got crappy and I got lazy. I maybe work out twice a week and even those workouts now are not what they were when I started this journey. I do plan to start up again soon though, because now that I am almost at my goal weight I'd like certain areas to tighten up! So yes, it is totally possible to lose the weight just by eating healthier and staying under calorie goal!
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    me, me, me! lol... didnt even have to give up my skittles!

well, i exercised, but i kept it simple, ate at a deficit, didnt eliminate any foods!
  • McKenzieLeigh
    McKenzieLeigh Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I am still pretty new here, but my loss is all diet so far. I do no real planned exercise. Occasionally I walk to clean my office or something and I will log that, but no gyms or tapes or anything for me yet.
    I do plan to incorporate later also, but I am in my last semester of school, getting ready for a recital, with 2 jobs and 2 kids and I am just focusing on the calories right now!
  • losborn52
    Options
    I was 277 pounds in the fall of 2012. I'm walking more than I used to, but that's it except for the number and the KIND of calories. I stay away from simple carbs and starches as much as possible. Very little bread and potato, especially. (I used to love my potato chips and sweet ice tea...)
  • rhileyschubbygranny
    Options
    I did last week. I ate 1200 calories per day and lost 1.2 pounds. I normally eat 1200 calories per day and exercise 5-6 days per week but was unable to last week
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I lost 25 of my 30 pounds JUST by eating at a deficit. I didn't do anything more strenuous than take my baby on walks for almost a year.
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I haven't really been exercising but I do try to be more active. I do squats when I go to the bathroom and started a planking challenge at work. I also don't mind walking a little further when I park somewhere but other than that, no exercise.
  • crazybg101
    Options
    I have lost 8.5 pounds in 8 weeks by just staying under my MFP recommended calories for my goal of losing one pound a week. I have a desk job, so I sit much of the day. I don't have time to do exercise, but plan to do more as it gets into the Spring/Summer months. In the end, its the calorie deficit that matters most. :)
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I lost the first 90# before I began to do any additional exercise, losing weight is mainly about eating less calories than your body burns. I began to take short (15-20minute) walks at that point.
    If you are able, any additional moving you can do would be beneficial.
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I stopped exercising last year due to my knees and back. I fluctuate about 5-10pds depending how many calories I eat. I usually eat anywhere from 1200-1400cals. I've lost most of the weight but just kept in mind that eating out and sweets were my downfall since I didn't know when to stop.

It depends on your body and what goals you've set. You can still lose the weight without exercise but I do miss toning the loose skin.
  • Armagan123
    Armagan123 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Remember that MFP gives you a calorie goal that includes a weight loss deficit without any exercise...i.e. you don't include exercise in your activity level. With MFP, if you hit that calorie goal and are as precise as possible with your intake you should lose weight.

I lost a good 20 lbs or so before incorporating exercise into the mix. Adding exercise was nice because it took me from only being able to eat around 1850 calories per day to eating around 2,250 gross on most days when I exercised to still lose that 1 Lb per week.
  • cathylopez1975
    cathylopez1975 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I lost pretty much all of my 89 lbs without exercising - keeping myself at my calorie goal and watching macros. I should be exercising in some way for my health, though. Maybe when springtime finally gets to Texas I'll be able to at least walk every day. I really feel the cold now without my extra layer of insulation.
  • nmcguier
    nmcguier Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    So, I do exercise, but I also have a herniated L5 and knee problems. I cannot run, do elliptical that long, walk quickly, or climb stairs as primary means of exercise. I have found that swimming 4-5 days a week greatly improves how I feel. You might too. It's practically 0 impact and promotes natural stretching. It's also wonderful cardio to help with the weight loss. If you can get access to a pool, I highly recommend swimming a few days a week.
  • shscruggs82
    Options
    quite honestly, I exercise so that I can eat more haha. I am selfish and I like food and since I use the MFP plan of eating back exercise calories if I give up 1 hr a day (I run and do the 30 day shred) then I can eat sometimes up to 500 extra calories a day. I could stick to my lower calories and lose weight I'm sure, but I'm more satisfied this way.
  • jbpretty
    jbpretty Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    me, me, me! lol... didnt even have to give up my skittles!

well, i exercised, but i kept it simple, ate at a deficit, didnt eliminate any foods!

LOVE SKITTLES!!!!!!

Well done everyone. :)
  • mickimalbrough
    mickimalbrough Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm in the EXACT same boat. I am currently undergoing therapy for a herniated disk and I can't really workout. But I lost more than 40 lbs using MFP and just staying under my calorie goals (no working out) back in 2012 and I am hoping to do it again now.

I gained all my weight back because I got pregnant...but calorie counting can not only help you to lose weight but it also helps you to relearn how to portion control and not over indulge. These skills should help you maintain easier too :)
  • mz_grim
    mz_grim Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Yep that would be me I have lost just over 73lb or 33kg with only modifing my diet. I started at 231.5lb or 105kg and now as of this morning I am sitting at 157.6lb or 71.5kg No planned exercise. I dont have any recent progress pics but below were the last ones I have taken. I do not have a pic from my highest weight.

Fotor01119434.png
  • Jaydec70
    Jaydec70 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    When I started I quickly got an ulcerated toe and could barely walk for 6 weeks, then was slow to get into the exercise groove, maybe 6 more. In that time with diet alone I lost 40 or 50 pounds. I've started exercising again, but am losing less (but definitely healthier and building muscle) than when it was just diet. So it definitely can be done. Now that I am smaller, the extra calories from exercise really help me stay under my goal, but earlier on it wasn't as much an issue because I had more calories slotted each day.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I've lost about a 130lbs so far.

Almost all of it has been purely from food deficit. I tend to exercise a lot during maintenance, but do not rely on exercise during loss.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!