C25K 300+lb... with Zombies!

Options
I'm 5'4" and about 300 pounds. I just started the zombies, run! Couch to 5k program. Are there some other morbidly obese runners out there with advice on what to do or avoid doing? So far I'm really enjoying it and I'd like to keep progressing. All tips and advice welcome.

Replies

• ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    I'm not in your situation but wanted to stop by and give you props for doing what you are doing and give your thread a bump.
  • redwoodkestrel
    redwoodkestrel Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about getting that app, since I'm interested in starting C25K and I looooooove all things zombie - how is it??

Nice Lady Rainicorn ticker, btw! :happy:
  • jeneferphillips89
    Options
    Well, I'm 5'2 and 220 lbs right now and doing the plain old C25k. Starting week 3 tomorrow :-) Are you running indoors or outside? I started off on a treadmill and when I started outdoors it almost killed me.I actually restarted the program so I could manage the outdoor running. I'm finding now that being outside is much more pleasant than stuck on the treadmill looking at yourself or a tv. I really don't have any suggestions other than listen to your body (uncomfortable is good and pain means stop) and be sure to invest in a good pair of running shoes. Good luck dear!!
  • lwanbaugh81
    lwanbaugh81 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I don't really have any advice but I'm getting back in to it today as well and I'm heavier then you are. Good luck, we can do it, just take it slowly.
    Lindsey
  • Blue801
    Blue801 Posts: 442
    Options
    I'm not in your situation but wanted to stop by and give you props for doing what you are doing and give your thread a bump.

Thank you possibly fellow Tennessean!

@redwookestre. I am loving the app but I think it would be lame without a good playlist.

@jeneferphilli. I'm stuck inside most days, but sometimes I'm outside either on the sidewalk or trails. I have some NewBalance minimus shoes I like.

@Ibirk1981 good luck to you too!

Thanks all for the encouragement.
    :flowerforyou:
  • TeddyG87
    TeddyG87 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey grats on starting! I was 5'9 312 lbs when I started C25K. It sucked. I used an audio cue program with music at first for it and later got an app for my phone though not the zombies thing. Anyway, I huffed and puffed my way through it getting shin splints somewhat often but never any real knee pain unless I tried pushing myself. I remember the first time I tried completing an actual 5k, it hurt a lot and I had to stop running for 2 weeks after. Just don't push yourself too hard, go at whatever pace you can manage according to the program's standards. No need to try sprinting the whole time you'll just get hurt. You're already outside exercising regularly and it's awesome.

With that said, this might happen to you:
    You might find that the 30 minutes given to you to finish the 5k by the c25k program is waaay too short for you and if not then I say good for you because that means you're a fast 300lb person and that's awesome!. First time I realized I wasn't anywhere near 5k distance was when I did my first 10 minute long run at week 6 my app reported I only ran .68 miles. By the end I had only run a bit over a mile. Well that sucked. When I did finally finish a 5k I came in at around 54 minutes. I think I took 10-12 weeks to actually finish the program not including my down time from trying too hard.

These are probably things that might happen to you. It'll be slow, it'll hurt, it'll suck, you'll see others running and they run SO fast, they look like gazelles swiftly and majestically moving across a field. Your mind will be constantly telling you to stop, I mean what's the point right? You can't run as fast as those people, you'll never be that fast. Your mind will constantly play tricks on you and become preoccupied with these thoughts of quitting or simply of THINKING about the next breath you need to take because your body is so exhausted. When you're thinking hard about quitting and breathing almost consciously, hearing your breaths over your heavy foot steps and music, you'll be ready to realize that you're running faster and you're breathing a lot less harder than in the beginning. You ALMOST forgot that you damn near died the first time you came out here and right now you're complaining because you're a little out of breath. Your first minute of running comes up and you feel sluggish but not tired, what the hell? I'm not tired? 2 minutes, 3 minutes, 20 minutes. You can see the sweat pouring down your face and you can feel your shirt soaked but you continue running. You can pretty much see the trail of your path laid on the ground by your sweat. You get headbands and wrist bands to manage the ridiculous amount of sweat coming from your body, you feel silly but anything to keep the sweat from your eyes that damn sweat. Once in a while you hear someone honking or yelling at you. You continue running can't stop for the plebs on the side of the road, you got miles to go.
    And then the day comes that you go outside to do your program and you'll be jumping for joy that you get to go out and work out despite knowing you'll be tired and you'll hate life just a bit during the first few intervals. The days when you don't work out feel dull and the days you were supposed to run but can't for whatever reason will be dreadful days that need to vanish. Nothing will get in the way of your running. You'll slowly start catching up to the gazelles. They aren't THAT fast.

TL;DR get running shoes, don't push yourself too hard and rest when program says to rest, don't try the 5k too soon.
  • pikanchi
    pikanchi Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Man, I love the Zombies, Run! apps, although the C25K trainer hadn't been released when I started running. I ended up listening to it for the story and using it for intervals, and I will say that I absolutely love the fact that it incorporates stretches into the programme -- the C25 trainers I downloaded and tried when I started out didn't, and for that alone, I've got to applaud Six To Start.

That aside! TeddyG87 has some sound advice, but I'd add that if a workout or even an entire week feels tough and you struggle to complete it, don't be afraid of going back and repeating it. That's not failure. It might feel frustrating at the time, but failure is giving up, right? The other big thing (and the most important thing) is: don't push yourself too hard. You want to push yourself, for sure, but you also want to be fit, healthy, and uninjured. Don't worry about speed or pace, or any of that nonsense whilst you're running the programme. Just focus on running for as long as you can manage. If that means dropping your pace right down? Do it. The speed doesn't matter, the fact that you're doing it does. Endurance comes way before speed, and that's what you want to be focussing on.

You can do it, man, and you'll be amazed at how much you'll progress (because you will). You'll go from barely being able to run to being able to run for 30 minutes, to being able to run 3.1 miles. That's no small feat. The programme itself is just like running, really: one foot in front of another and you're at the finish line sooner than you think.

Good luck!
  • loriemn
    loriemn Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Hey grats on starting! I was 5'9 312 lbs when I started C25K. It sucked. I used an audio cue program with music at first for it and later got an app for my phone though not the zombies thing. Anyway, I huffed and puffed my way through it getting shin splints somewhat often but never any real knee pain unless I tried pushing myself. I remember the first time I tried completing an actual 5k, it hurt a lot and I had to stop running for 2 weeks after. Just don't push yourself too hard, go at whatever pace you can manage according to the program's standards. No need to try sprinting the whole time you'll just get hurt. You're already outside exercising regularly and it's awesome.

You might find that the 30 minutes given to you to finish the 5k by the c25k program is waaay too short for you and if not then I say good for you because that means you're a fast 300lb person and that's awesome!. First time I realized I wasn't anywhere near 5k distance was when I did my first 10 minute long run at week 6 my app reported I only ran .68 miles. By the end I had only run a bit over a mile. Well that sucked. When I did finally finish a 5k I came in at around 54 minutes. I think I took 10-12 weeks to actually finish the program not including my down time from trying too hard.

These are probably things that might happen to you. It'll be slow, it'll hurt, it'll suck, you'll see others running and they run SO fast, they look like gazelles swiftly and majestically moving across a field. Your mind will be constantly telling you to stop, I mean what's the point right? You can't run as fast as those people, you'll never be that fast. Your mind will constantly play tricks on you and become preoccupied with these thoughts of quitting or simply of THINKING about the next breath you need to take because your body is so exhausted. When you're thinking hard about quitting and breathing almost consciously, hearing your breaths over your heavy foot steps and music, you'll be ready to realize that you're running faster and you're breathing a lot less harder than in the beginning. You ALMOST forgot that you damn near died the first time you came out here and right now you're complaining because you're a little out of breath. Your first minute of running comes up and you feel sluggish but not tired, what the hell? I'm not tired? 2 minutes, 3 minutes, 20 minutes. You can see the sweat pouring down your face and you can feel your shirt soaked but you continue running. You can pretty much see the trail of your path laid on the ground by your sweat. You get headbands and wrist bands to manage the ridiculous amount of sweat coming from your body, you feel silly but anything to keep the sweat from your eyes that damn sweat. Once in a while you hear someone honking or yelling at you. You continue running can't stop for the plebs on the side of the road, you got miles to go.
    And then the day comes that you go outside to do your program and you'll be jumping for joy that you get to go out and work out despite knowing you'll be tired and you'll hate life just a bit during the first few intervals. The days when you don't work out feel dull and the days you were supposed to run but can't for whatever reason will be dreadful days that need to vanish. Nothing will get in the way of your running. You'll slowly start catching up to the gazelles. They aren't THAT fast.

TL;DR get running shoes, don't push yourself too hard and rest when program says to rest, don't try the 5k too soon.
    damn! now I need to get this..I wanna catch gazelles!
  • TeddyG87
    TeddyG87 Posts: 3 Member
    Options

damn! now I need to get this..I wanna catch gazelles!

Haha unfortunately I can't catch 'em...yet
  • MissySpring
    MissySpring Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Firstly, congratulations on your weight loss and your dedication to a healthier you!

A few tips that helped me...

~proper running shoes. I have a high arch and am an under-pronator, changed shoes for this and has helped tremendously.
    ~go slow, don't worry about those zippy runners...I occasionally run with a woman 20 years and 50 lbs lighter than me. Can she run faster than me? yes. But, add 20 years and 50 lbs to her frame and I think we'd even out.
    ~make sure to do the rest days! It'll be tempting once you're hooked on running to run every day.

Listen to your body and have fun!
  • mommysockmonkey
    mommysockmonkey Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I have to second or third the suggestion of getting a good pair of running shoes. Go get expertly fit at a running store. When I was heavier, my ability to run (...ok, jog if truth be told) pain free was 100% dependent on the correct shoes. And good job getting started. You're gonna love running.
  • Blue801
    Options
    I have to second or third the suggestion of getting a good pair of running shoes. Go get expertly fit at a running store. When I was heavier, my ability to run (...ok, jog if truth be told) pain free was 100% dependent on the correct shoes. And good job getting started. You're gonna love running.

I keep hearing this. I am more interested in minimalist running shoes at this point, not supporting or correcting running shoes.

Thank you all for the advice!

Teddy, i can't wait to run my first race and get passed by all the gazelles!:laugh:
    The gazelles on the sidewalk around here are very supportive. They're always giving thumbs up and shouting "you go girl" as they whiz by me.
  • pikanchi
    pikanchi Posts: 72 Member
    Options

I keep hearing this. I am more interested in minimalist running shoes at this point, not supporting or correcting running shoes.

Thank you all for the advice!

Teddy, i can't wait to run my first race and get passed by all the gazelles!:laugh:
    The gazelles on the sidewalk around here are very supportive. They're always giving thumbs up and shouting "you go girl" as they whiz by me.

Minimalist running shoes might appeal more, but you want to go for what suits your running style. They might not be right for you, and forcing yourself to run in something that doesn't fit your gait is just going to cause injury in the long run (...pun entirely unintended).
  • natemac001
    Options
    Well, I'm 5'2 and 220 lbs right now and doing the plain old C25k. Starting week 3 tomorrow :-) Are you running indoors or outside? I started off on a treadmill and when I started outdoors it almost killed me.I actually restarted the program so I could manage the outdoor running. I'm finding now that being outside is much more pleasant than stuck on the treadmill looking at yourself or a tv. I really don't have any suggestions other than listen to your body (uncomfortable is good and pain means stop) and be sure to invest in a good pair of running shoes. Good luck dear!!

I also got tricked last year running on the treadmill.
    This year I started over with the C25K but I always have the treadmill set to a 2 inline, it doesn't seem like much but it makes a heck of a lot difference once you begin to run outside. Also once you start running outside I like to use the RunKeeper and have it blurt out my current pace every few minutes. This will help you learn what a specific speed feels like for your body. Since your not able to just look down at the dash and see how fast your going. You want to learn a pace rather then just pushing out all you've got.
  • Blue801
    Options
    @natemac. What a great idea about about increasing the incline for treadmill running. I started increasing my incline with my last run. Definitely more work:drinker:
  • teaparty75
    Options
    Just about the same starting stats as you - congrats on getting started !!! I started with zombies and loved it but I felt that couch 2 5k was less "nice" & more challenging.....either way you are getting an awesome cardio workout !!
  • rainandwood93
    rainandwood93 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Hi! I just wanted to stop in and tell you how AWESOME Zombies, Run! 5k is. I started it when I was about 245 (not as heavy as you, granted, but still big!). I just did my second workout of the final week. You need to stay with it, repeat as many times as you want, but the real key is to be consistent and keep at it. It was HARD at times, but by week 6 I was so in love with running and what I could do. I'd also recommend aiming for going SLOWER and trying to run for longer periods of time. I go barely faster than I walk, but I really started loving the program when I slowed down and made it for the free runs.

Good luck! Feel free to add me.

P.S. I LOVE the story. I hope you do too.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i'm obese still (not morbidly) and am starting week 5 of the zombie run 5k app TONIGHT!!
    i run on an indoor track for the most part until it stops being pitch black by the time i get my runs in.

as for shoes that's going to be a tough one. i normally would say go to a running store and get your gait analyzed BUT i think that's only a good choice if you have OK running form to begin with. I found that a lot of shoes suggested for overweight runners are built with the eye that we are all heel strikers. i think new runners tend to be, so since you're just starting anyway make an effort to NOT get into the habit of heel striking and land ore on your midsole.

i land on my forefoot (or mid sole when tired) so i wear shoes with light cushioning. right now i'm running with brooks pure connect but will more than likely give mizunos a try for my next pair.

like the others have said just keep with it. and dont get discouraged if you have to repeat a week. i'm starting week 5 today but i've probably been at this program for 8 weeks
  • RicaJamie
    Options
    As a morbidly obese person also doing C25k - YAAAAAY! We are a rare breed for sure. I was thinking about doing the zombie app but downloaded the traditional for now. =)

I feel silly telling people I'm doing it they just look at me like I'm crazy but to be honest I feel really good. I kind of hate it when I first start but when I'm done I feel amazing! Ask me in a few weeks when the run lengths get even longer and I might have a few choice words then! ha!

What week/day are you on now? I am doing each week twice (so far). I'm w2d3 tomorrow. (First week in week 2).

One thing I've done is if my husband is free he comes with me and walks the whole time - I feel like I'm a gazelle! I thought I was going so slow but when he walks his normal pace I get pretty far away from him during my running parts!

I also found that whenever a real gazelle runs by I feel more motivated and can speed up a little bit more! =)

Good luck!