Calorie Deficit VS. Starvation Mode.

I've heard that to lose weight, you need a calorie deficit. THEN I've been told to make sure to eat enough so you don't go into "starvation mode". So my question is, where is the balance?? Are these just old wives tales??

Replies

• MamaGraff
    MamaGraff Posts: 39 Member
    You won't be starving if you reduce your calories and eat lots of good carbs and lots of protein. I suggest you eat at least 2-4 cups of veggies a day. Also make sure you are getting enough protein in your diet whether its from eggs, or lean meats or seafood.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    starvation mode is a myth that says if you eat too little your body "holds" onto fat or worse "creates" it...:noway: :laugh: :noway:

As for how many calories you need to lose weight it's pretty easy to figure out.

3500 caloires in excess of what your maintenance caloires = 1lb of weight gain.

Maintenance calories=the amount of calories you eat to maintain your weight.

A good deficet is based on how fast you want to lose and how much you have to lose.

For example if you have over 100lbs to lose 2lbs a week is a good goal and that is 7000 calories a week...so...1000 calorie deficet a week.

But if you have 10lbs to lose 1/2lb a week is good so 1700-1800 calorie deficet a week is good...so about 250-300 calorie deficet a day.

MFP will work that out for you based on your info...total weight desired to lose and how fast...mine is set at 1600 calories a day to eat which puts me at a 400 calorie a day deficet...almost a lb a week...I often go over so it works out to closer to 0.6lbs a week.
  • vslnrunner
    vslnrunner Posts: 164 Member
    Contrary to what some people spout you need fat too. I would be more focused on hitting fat and protein than carbs.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    You won't be starving if you reduce your calories and eat lots of good carbs and lots of protein. I suggest you eat at least 2-4 cups of veggies a day. Also make sure you are getting enough protein in your diet whether its from eggs, or lean meats or seafood.

If you are already lean and eat WAY to few calories (i.e., sub-800), then you can start worrying about starvation mode.

If either of those conditions don't apply to you, it's not something you have to spend even a moment thinking about.
  • 3500 caloires in deficit per week is a ok weight loss pace :-)
  • SezxyStef
    3500 caloires in deficit per week is a ok weight loss pace :-)

not if you only have 10lbs to lose...
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    I've heard that to lose weight, you need a calorie deficit. THEN I've been told to make sure to eat enough so you don't go into "starvation mode". So my question is, where is the balance?? Are these just old wives tales??

Wive's tale. Follow the guidance MFP gives you when you use its software program accurately. You will live and reach your weight goal.
  • ell_v131
    ell_v131 Posts: 349 Member
    starvation mode is a myth that says if you eat too little your body "holds" onto fat or worse "creates" it...:noway: :laugh: :noway:

As for how many calories you need to lose weight it's pretty easy to figure out.

3500 caloires in excess of what your maintenance caloires = 1lb of weight gain.

Maintenance calories=the amount of calories you eat to maintain your weight.

A good deficet is based on how fast you want to lose and how much you have to lose.

For example if you have over 100lbs to lose 2lbs a week is a good goal and that is 7000 calories a week...so...1000 calorie deficet a week.

But if you have 10lbs to lose 1/2lb a week is good so 1700-1800 calorie deficet a week is good...so about 250-300 calorie deficet a day.

MFP will work that out for you based on your info...total weight desired to lose and how fast...mine is set at 1600 calories a day to eat which puts me at a 400 calorie a day deficet...almost a lb a week...I often go over so it works out to closer to 0.6lbs a week.

agreed.
    I will also second the poster who said that fat is important. I look at my protein first, fat second and whatever is left I give to carbs.
  • TLC7613
    TLC7613 Posts: 86 Member
    Thank you all for your helpful information! I've always been curious about this. Just as an example, if I'm allowed a 1400 calorie limit and say I eat 1200 but burn off 600 working out, does that mean I should "re-eat" those calories or let it be more of my deficit?
  • SezxyStef
    Thank you all for your helpful information! I've always been curious about this. Just as an example, if I'm allowed a 1400 calorie limit and say I eat 1200 but burn off 600 working out, does that mean I should "re-eat" those calories or let it be more of my deficit?

Yes eat those back...esp at such a big deficet.

MFP gives you a deficet to lose weight already and any extra deficet needs eaten back
  • Starvation mode is a myth evolved from a bit of science (extreme calorie deficit = minor temporary reductions in energy expenditure) added to a whole lot of broscience and often mixed with other myths such as 'metabolic damage'.

It's suprising the number of people who say they can't lose weight because there in starvation mode, or because an extreme low kcal diet has caused them 'metabolic damage' .
  • TLC7613
    TLC7613 Posts: 86 Member

Yes eat those back...esp at such a big deficet.

MFP gives you a deficet to lose weight already and any extra deficet needs eaten back

That was just a hypothetical situation. Thank you for clearing that all up for me!
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Starvation mode, if there is such a thing, will not occur unless the body is already under weight to begin with.
  • zilfig64
    zilfig64 Posts: 71 Member
    Here are a couple of good former threads/articles that answer your questions with the science behind them:

on the starvation mode myth:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1084912-good-starvation-mode-article

and another on your question about exercise calories

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818082-exercise-calories-again-wtf

Good Luck!