Sleep needs during weight loss

Options
Hi,

Right from my childhood I always slept at 9:30 and woke up at 6-6:30 AM. Sometimes around 5:30. that is about 8-9 hours sleep until I started going to job and my stressful life kept me from having less than 6 hours of sleep. But I realized I wasnt functioning well with that much less sleep. Also, when I gained weight, my sleep seems to be interrupted in the middle of the night and I will find it hard to go back to sleep. Or most times I will feel sluggish even if I am there in the bed and wake up. These days, after started working out and active, I am going to my old habit of going to sleep early and really need not less than 8 hours of sleep. But sometimes when I wake up in between I am finding it hard to go back to deep sleep for the rest of the 2 or 3 hour sleep and that makes me tired and sleepy.

My question is I have seen folks that sleep less than 8 hours but sleep tight throughout and they wake up soon as well. I heard everyone's sleep needs vary. I tried to go without full 8 hours sleep but its making me sleepy in the day time. Do you think I am just one of those people with the sleeping need of atleast 8-9 hours? Anyone felt the same?

Replies

• 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Yes, I never get enough sleep. My dogs often wake me up in the night and then I have a bit of trouble falling back to sleep (don't have trouble first thing though). I definitely need at least 7-8 to function.....less than 6 and I'm cranky and tired. Sorry, I wish I had some tips for falling back to sleep but I don't (kicking my dogs out of the bed most likely isn't gonna happen! :tongue: )
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I am the obnoxious person who is 37 and has always gotten a full 8 hours of lovely sleep every night. No kids...that explains a lot eh? But seriously yes I need 8 hours. Less than 7 and I'm not a happy camper.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I tend to wake up at least once during the night, and usually I need to use the bathroom during that time. I've almost considered it a natural part of my sleep cycle, and I don't force myself to fall right back asleep. I'm on at 9:30 to 5 sleep schedule 7 days a week, and I've found that helps with feeling less sluggish.
  • SunshineNo1
    SunshineNo1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I tend to wake up at least once during the night, and usually I need to use the bathroom during that time. I've almost considered it a natural part of my sleep cycle, and I don't force myself to fall right back asleep. I'm on at 9:30 to 5 sleep schedule 7 days a week, and I've found that helps with feeling less sluggish.

For me too. I have to drink a lot of water before I go to sleep (I find I just cannot go to bed without having enough water) and that eventually makes my bladder full and I have to go by 4 or 5 AM and I just find it hard to go back to sleep to complete the rest of the sleep. I dont force myself too but it wasnt like this during my childhood days. I hope this will go away as I lose weight and workout and my health improves. I actually need good nights sleep and have to wake up completely fresh to feel real good. And I heard sleep is necessary for weight loss as well and I have experienced that too. Less sleep makes me gain weight.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    This might not be good news ;-) But for me when I am drinking enough water I DO have to get up one time during the night usually between 2-4 am to use the restroom. Only when I'm not drinking enough water do I sleep all the way through. I wish I had some tips for you for getting back to a sound sleep quickly.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options

For me too. I have to drink a lot of water before I go to sleep (I find I just cannot go to bed without having enough water) and that eventually makes my bladder full and I have to go by 4 or 5 AM and I just find it hard to go back to sleep to complete the rest of the sleep. I dont force myself too but it wasnt like this during my childhood days. I hope this will go away as I lose weight and workout and my health improves. I actually need good nights sleep and have to wake up completely fresh to feel real good. And I heard sleep is necessary for weight loss as well and I have experienced that too. Less sleep makes me gain weight.

Our sleep needs do change as we get older. I don't sleep as well as I did when I was a teenager, even though my weight is lower. I agree, though, sleep is an important component in weight. It's all about energy expenditure. If we're not getting enough sleep, our bodies tend to want to eat to make up the energy that wasn't gained through sleep. Additionally, being tired makes us not think as clearly, and therefore make poorer food choices.

I kind of digress here, but I'm a big fan of Korean pop music, and they always talk about how much or how little the girls are eating, and relate to how many of them pass out. I always think about how little they're sleeping! That's what's really causing their ailments.
  • SunshineNo1
    Options
    This might not be good news ;-) But for me when I am drinking enough water I DO have to get up one time during the night usually between 2-4 am to use the restroom. Only when I'm not drinking enough water do I sleep all the way through. I wish I had some tips for you for getting back to a sound sleep quickly.

Same here. I have to drink water all the time even before bed, after going to bathroom, and then again when I wake up. Mine is a body that needs a lot of water and sleep. I think I will need to be much more conscious in sleeping without thinking anything.. I think I will find a good balance after some time. Thank you for responding to me.
  • SunshineNo1
    Options
    Yes, I never get enough sleep. My dogs often wake me up in the night and then I have a bit of trouble falling back to sleep (don't have trouble first thing though). I definitely need at least 7-8 to function.....less than 6 and I'm cranky and tired. Sorry, I wish I had some tips for falling back to sleep but I don't (kicking my dogs out of the bed most likely isn't gonna happen! :tongue: )

Thanks for stopping by. Nice to know that there are people out there like me. :-)
  • SunshineNo1
    Options

Our sleep needs do change as we get older. I don't sleep as well as I did when I was a teenager, even though my weight is lower. I agree, though, sleep is an important component in weight. It's all about energy expenditure. If we're not getting enough sleep, our bodies tend to want to eat to make up the energy that wasn't gained through sleep. Additionally, being tired makes us not think as clearly, and therefore make poorer food choices.

I kind of digress here, but I'm a big fan of Korean pop music, and they always talk about how much or how little the girls are eating, and relate to how many of them pass out. I always think about how little they're sleeping! That's what's really causing their ailments.

Thanks for reminding me that if we don't get enough sleep then our body will try to find energy through food. I see your point and I have experienced that too. Thanks for pointing out that at this time. Today I can see I crave a bit more carbs and energy. I am not starving but at the same time I am trying to eat enough not starve but stay under my goal.
  • Mufasa0331
    Mufasa0331 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I wish I knew the answer not only for you but for myself... I sleep on average 3-4 hours per night. I try to get more, but it never happens. I cannot fall asleep. I have tried nearly everything. And if i do fall asleep no problem, I wake up every hour... I have found that on the rare occassions I sleep for 6-7 hours straight I am crankier and my body hurts from laying down.