Right Choices, Wrong Results?

Options
124»

Replies

• Karmynzahringer
    Karmynzahringer Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Have you updayed your weight loss goals? They may still have you at a defecit from your highest weight if not. I had this problem.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    First, congratulations on the loss so far! That is impressive. Just a couple of thoughts:
    If I measure something in grams or ounces, but when I pull the food up in the database, it only gives me the option to log in cups, I use a calculator to convert my grams to cups or tablespoons.

Be careful here. A gram is a unit of weight (technically, mass, but on the earth's surface the distinction doesn't matter). Cups and tablespoons are units of volume. There's some confusion between weight and volume measures because we use the same word, "ounce," to refer to different units, one of weight and one of volume (the liquid ounce), and we sometimes measure solids using volume (as with tablespoons of sugar or cups of flour).

You can't convert weight to volume without also knowing the density of the substance you're converting. And the calorie density is another thing entirely. 1 cup of all-purpose flour weighs 125g and has 455 calories. 1 cup of 1% milk weighs 244g and has 102 calories.

Unless your calculator includes the substance being converted, your conversions might be way off.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    First of all, 68 pounds IS something to be proud of. Sticking with it when the results are slower than expected IS something to be extremely proud of!

Given your medical history, have you looked into high protein diets like South Beach, Sonoma or Mediterranean? These diets tend to have the best results on blood cholesterol, even without close tracking of dietary cholesterol. Since the basic premise is to eat lots of lean proteins and veggies, prepared with good fats like nuts and avocados, with limited whole grains and fruit, these diets will also likely steer you towards fresher foods, which will help the sodium intake.
  • kearneyweard
    kearneyweard Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm glad that a majority of these comments have been supportive but I am utterly appalled by some of them. If anyone thinks 2,000 calories is too much for the average person who weighs over 350 lbs, then you obviously have no idea what you're talking about!!! I have been friends with Cmfruin2012 for quite a while on MFP so I can attest to the fact that normally, she logs her food religiously. So for those of you who are chastising her for missing a few MEALS, get off your high horse! We all have less-than-perfect days or days where we have events or special occasions where we have to estimate how many calories we are eating if only for the fact that we don't have a food scale in our purse.

@Cmfruin2012: I really think that the answer might lie with the medicine you are taking. The calorie goal that MFP gives you is based off how many calories it estimates you burn, just by existing. Then it subtracts off the deficit you'd need to lose your desired amount of weight. Because of your medicine, this estimation might be inaccurate for you. It's even inaccurate for me some days: MFP estimates I burn about 3,000 calories on a daily basis, without exercise, but I actually burn about 2,600 if I'm extremely sedentary, which isn't too often. It really is as simple as calories in versus calories out but because of your lowered heart rate/medication, yours will be different than other women your age, weight, and height.

Here's an article you might find interesting: http://pennstatehershey.adam.com/content.aspx?productId=16&gid=43414
  • lesteidel
    lesteidel Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I know I may get crucified for this, but MFP isn't always right about your calorie needs.

I have to eat under what they suggest or I am not going to lose.

If I eat what they say I need for maintenance, I gain.

I am not sedentary, I am just not the average person.

It's an estimation of the average person at that weight, height, gender, and age.

Some people may need less, some people more.

If you aren't seeing results, it might do to lower your calorie intake slowly every week until you start seeing results again.

Estimations will not be completely accurate for everyone.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Im not sure what all could be the problem however, if you dont eat back you workout calories then it can slow your metabolism. You body needs it. Also 2026 seems alittle high. I didnt think a woman should ever be over 2000 calories a day and that is still alot. Maybe check with your doctor.

Ever? Really? Why would you say a thing like that?
  • Jille0
    Jille0 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss so far!!! The amount you have lost is significant and you can see a real difference in your picture. You should be proud of that accomplishment! Your hard work is paying off. :smile:

A couple of years ago I was on WW. I was doing the plan perfectly and gaining weight! It turns out that my pituitary tumor had returned and was throwing my hormones out of whack. I know you said that you have had your thyroid checked. I would recommend having prolactin, luteinizing hormone (LH), follicle stmulating hormone (FH), cortisol, estrogen, and testosterone checked. These hormones can have an impact on weight gain in the body. Also any medication that you are taking may have the effect of helping you hold onto extra weight.

I understand the higher amount of calorie burn. It takes a lot of energy to move a greater mass. I know this because of my own weight issues. When you are thinner, the same exercise would burn significantly less.

Looking at the macros in your diet is important. Carbs, Fat, and Protein. Higher protein can help release the excess water weight that is attached to the glycogen stores in the body.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    68 lbs in a year is a HUGE change in the right direction.

Many folks have suggested weighing more food to increase accuracy in logging.
    Here'as an additional thought. You are burning less calories now when exercising. It's like you were wearing a 68 lb backpack before and you have set it down now.
    To make up for that you need to increase the intensity and/or time of your exercise.
    So try swimming 1200m in the time it was taking you to swim 1000m. Go a little faster and further on your walks. Keep on with the kick boxing.
    Slow and steady will do it for you-and allow your skin to adapt to the change as well.
    Let us know how it goes....
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    68 lbs in a year is a HUGE change in the right direction.

Many folks have suggested weighing more food to increase accuracy in logging.
    Here'as an additional thought. You are burning less calories now when exercising. It's like you were wearing a 68 lb backpack before and you have set it down now.
    To make up for that you need to increase the intensity and/or time of your exercise.
    So try swimming 1200m in the time it was taking you to swim 1000m. Go a little faster and further on your walks. Keep on with the kick boxing.
    Slow and steady will do it for you-and allow your skin to adapt to the change as well.
    Let us know how it goes....

More exercise only burns a few more calories, and doesn't increase the deficit that much. As the weight is lost, fewer calories are burned with movement, and fewer calories need to be consumed. So, while it's not a bad idea to increase exercise, don't expect it to do much more than the original exercise was, since the higher weight was burning more calories originally.
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I have found MFP's estimates to be off by a lot, so you're right on not eating back all those calories.

I'm curious, have you been weighing portions with a scale? It's easy to be eating much more than you think, if you're just using measuring cups/eyeballing.

By the way, I think you're playing yourself down too much. You should be proud of yourself, even if you're not hitting the milestones exactly where you thought.

This, this, and this!

My weight loss slowed when I was eating back my calories at the MFP estimates (I didn't check your diary but assume you have been). I now log half the calories of MFP estimates and seem to be back on track. I would try that first, if I were you.

If I have made a wrong assumption and you do not eat back exercise calories, then I would cut my calories some more and/or make sure that any estimates are overestimates.

And I agree that you should be proud of your losses! Don't let comparison steal your joy. I am an extremely slow loser, but I am ok with that--I plan to keep it off forever and I know that I am more likely to stick with a lifestyle change done slowly and in stages than an all at once diet.
  • cmfruin2012
    cmfruin2012 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I'm glad that a majority of these comments have been supportive but I am utterly appalled by some of them. If anyone thinks 2,000 calories is too much for the average person who weighs over 350 lbs, then you obviously have no idea what you're talking about!!! I have been friends with Cmfruin2012 for quite a while on MFP so I can attest to the fact that normally, she logs her food religiously. So for those of you who are chastising her for missing a few MEALS, get off your high horse! We all have less-than-perfect days or days where we have events or special occasions where we have to estimate how many calories we are eating if only for the fact that we don't have a food scale in our purse.

I am so glad you are my friend....thank you for your words and I will also read the article you shared.