Protein powder, your thoughts please?

Options
2»

Replies

• parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Protein powders are really only useful if you have issues hitting your protein macro or if you're crunched for time. Sometimes, they save me on days i can't hit my target and lately I love it in my greek yogurt. Only use it if you need to, otherwise it's a waste of money for you. I can't stomach body fortress protein powder. I like optimum nutrition, trutein and cellucor brands so far, as far as smoothness and taste.

Agreed. The only thing protein powder might have going for it over whole foods are cost (potentially) and convenience. There's no reason you need to incorporate protein powder into your diet, but if you find yourself low on protein for a given day, protein powder can be a convenient way to get that additional protein.

As for brands, I stick with Isopure (either unflavored or mint chocolate chip). I also have some unflavored casein I use on occasion as well.

Sorry - I'm a little puzzled here. Is there a distiction I am missing between protein powder and whey powder? You both poo-pooed the product, yet you both use it daily? I've been using Kaizen Naturals out of New Zealand.

No one "poo-pooed" protein powder. They simply stated that getting protein from whole foods should be first and to use protein powder when that is not being met.

Most protein powders are whey. However, you can get pea, soy, casein, rice, etc. protein powders.

Yes, thank you. If you look at my post, I tell you the brand and even the flavor of protein powder I use several times a week, so I would have thought it's clear I'm not "poo-pooing" the use of protein powder. My point was simply that you aren't gaining anything other than convenience by using protein powder instead of whole foods. For example, I wouldn't drink 4 protein shakes to hit 200g of protein every day, but rather I would use a protein shake if it's 8:00pm and I still am low on my daily protein macro. Other times, I just feel like a shake and so I'll work one into my macros. And there are many days I don't have a shake at all. I guess to rephrase, I don't think shakes should be your primary source of protein and you aren't doing yourself any disservice if you get all of your protein intake from whole foods and never touch a shake, but I think they're a very convenient way to supplement your protein intake.

So, if you enjoy a protein shake, I don't think it's going to do you any harm. If I thought that, I wouldn't use them myself.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    They all taste like crap. Get the powder with the highest protein % and cheapest price. Make sure there is 2% of your DV per gram of protein.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    They all taste like crap. Get the powder with the highest protein % and cheapest price. Make sure there is 2% of your DV per gram of protein.

The ON Gold Standard Chocolate Mint is actually really pretty good. Tastes a lot like a thin mint.
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Protein powders are really only useful if you have issues hitting your protein macro or if you're crunched for time.

I've been using it like that. If it's the end of the day and I'm no where close, I'll use protein powder to at least get me in the ball park. If I'm there, or almost there, I don't.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options

The ON Gold Standard Chocolate Mint is actually really pretty good. Tastes a lot like a thin mint.

yeah, but that powder accidentally meets rules 1 and 2...
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Am I arguing just to argue? - I didn't think so - if that is the way it came across then I sincerely apologize. Perhaps I'm seeing dragons where there aren't any - but the two responses struck me as ingenuous.

Again - apologies if I ruffled feathers.
  • michael300891
    Options
    Hitting your protein without protein powder is actually easy if you eat meat and fish, so there's no real need for a protein powder to hit it. After 2 g per pound or kilogram (not sure anymore) you're body doesn't use it and it does't give you more benefit.

For clarity:

~0.8g/kg for RDA (which is for individuals not aiming to gain weight)

~1.2g/kg for individuals aiming to build muscle mass

~1.8g/kg for individuals on extreme energy deficit or conducting intensive endurance training where losses in lean body mass are predicted

>1.8g/kg is unnecessary for anyone who isn't on steroids :)
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options

LOL
    2eq6ued.jpg
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Am I arguing just to argue? - I didn't think so - if that is the way it came across then I sincerely apologize. Perhaps I'm seeing dragons where there aren't any - but the two responses struck me as ingenuous.

I don't mind you challenging me on my post. Text is far from a perfect medium for communicating and oftentimes I think people on this forum agree but are just talking past one another. At the same time, I don't think my position is ingenuous or "do as I say, not as I do" in this case. :smile:
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options

I don't mind you challenging me on my post. Text is far from a perfect medium for communicating and oftentimes I think people on this forum agree but are just talking past one another. At the same time, I don't think my position is ingenuous or "do as I say, not as I do" in this case. :smile:

Cool - obviously the confusion is all mine.

cheers!
  • runnergirlbell
    runnergirlbell Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Think about avoiding anything that has "Supplement Facts" instead of "Nutrition Facts". Difference? FDA approval and validity of the information and claims about their product. My dietician has me eating 84 grams of protein/day, which is high for a girl and ONLY because my body needs it during peak training season. I can get all of that protein from natural sources (chemical free meats/fish, farm fresh eggs and milk, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, certain beans) without any problem, and actually exceed a couple of times per week.

If you really enjoy natural (which was your initial concern) and want to go in that direction, avoid processed powders completely. That's about as "unnatural" as it gets.
  • runnergirlbell
    runnergirlbell Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    ...and remember that the term "All Natural" and "Natural" are not regulated terms like "Good Source of ___" or "Excellent Source of ___", so any company can label their product as "Natural" and get away with it.
  • subsonicbassist
    subsonicbassist Posts: 117 Member
    Options

Cool - obviously the confusion is all mine.

cheers!
    The most adult posts I've ever seen in my life. 2 people with different opinions (or ways of communicating) actually realizing that they are not communicating correctly and apologizing! Drinks all around!!! Srs :)
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey(30g)
    They have chocolate,vanilla,strawberry (I prefer vanilla since it goes well with everything)
    You can get it at Walmart for around $15.00

This is the one I use too... the chocolate is delish but I mainly buy the vanilla because it goes with everything LOL my Dr. recommends it and he specializes in diabetes so... I usually have it as a shake for my breakfast.
  • Diamond05
    Diamond05 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Hitting your protein without protein powder is actually easy if you eat meat and fish, so there's no real need for a protein powder to hit it. After 2 g per pound or kilogram (not sure anymore) you're body doesn't use it and it does't give you more benefit.

For clarity:

~0.8g/kg for RDA (which is for individuals not aiming to gain weight)

~1.2g/kg for individuals aiming to build muscle mass

~1.8g/kg for individuals on extreme energy deficit or conducting intensive endurance training where losses in lean body mass are predicted

>1.8g/kg is unnecessary for anyone who isn't on steroids :)

Yeah good addition. It was clear in my head, but not on here. It is also recommended to hit ~1.6 or 1.8g for people who want to maintain muscle mass and that are exercising somewhat heavy. What I first meant by writting after 2 grams your body doesn't process it is that there's no point to have an incredible amount of protein.
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    My dietician has me eating 84 grams of protein/day, which is high for a girl and ONLY because my body needs it during peak training season.

Did you mean 184? Because 84 doesn't sound high to me at all. 184 would be "high", but understandable if in heavy training, and depending on your weight or lean mass.
  • Diamond05
    Diamond05 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Sorry I made a mistake. To maintain it is 1.2 to 1.6 g t