Good starting weight for kettle bells?

Options
I bought myself an adjustable kettle bell. With the empty spacer discs, it's 20 lbs. I bought four 5 lb weights to put on it, but I've only added two of those so far, making the kettle bell 30 lbs to start. I was reading somewhere on the message boards that it's better to start with a challenging weight, and I guess that varies from person to person, but I'm curious to know what other people have started at.

Also, my husband is convinced I'm using too much weight to start and keeps telling me I'm being extreme. So I'm wondering....am I? I can lift the 30 lbs and I think it's heavy, but not so heavy that I feel like I'll drop it.

If anyone has any kettle bell workout links, please feel free to throw those out there for me too. Thanks!

Replies

• the_green_midget
    the_green_midget Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I've toyed with the idea of starting a kettle bell workout, so I'd be interested in hearing what others have to say.
  • bernied262
    bernied262 Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    If you can manage the weight, stick with it and gradually build up. I use this website to make sure I am doing the exercises correctly/check form etc - http://www.exrx.net/Lists/KettlebellExercises.html there are also a load of videos on Youtube.
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I bought myself an adjustable kettle bell. With the empty spacer discs, it's 20 lbs. I bought four 5 lb weights to put on it, but I've only added two of those so far, making the kettle bell 30 lbs to start. I was reading somewhere on the message boards that it's better to start with a challenging weight, and I guess that varies from person to person, but I'm curious to know what other people have started at.

Also, my husband is convinced I'm using too much weight to start and keeps telling me I'm being extreme. So I'm wondering....am I? I can lift the 30 lbs and I think it's heavy, but not so heavy that I feel like I'll drop it.

If anyone has any kettle bell workout links, please feel free to throw those out there for me too. Thanks!

My rule of thumb has been, if you can carry a large number without dropping it, stick with it.
  • Schlackity
    Schlackity Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I bought the kettle bell this past Friday. I did 2 sets of ten squats with it on Saturday along with 1 set of ten without it. I did the same on Sunday. Yesterday I upped it to 2 sets of ten in the morning with the weight and another 2 sets of ten with the weight after work and repeated that today. Right now, my legs feel a little like Jello...lol