I feel grumpy, irritated and hungry...

Options
Has anyone else experienced this?

I'm eating 1,700 per day. This is day two. I am trying to lose 90 lbs. And I still won't be skinny, just not morbidly obese anymore. I am cranky and moody because I don't feel like I'm eating enough. You can see my food diary--today for 3 pm snack I wanted to tear off a cows leg and eat it. I'm feeling all stressed out about it. Maybe it has something to do with I cannot take my lunch break in peace.

I dunno, any feedback will be great! Thanks in advance.

Replies

• foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    eat more protein. you are eating mostly foods high in carbs.

Protein makes us feel full for longer periods of time.. Carbs make us think we're full for a few minutes.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    yup.

1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    2. Make sure you eat enough.
    3. Figure out what works for you and is sustainable/healthy/long term.
    4. avoid fads. don't buy in to any "Hey, try the twinkie and vodka diet"
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    6. GET A FOOD SCALE. Weigh everything. No, seriously.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    9. Don't cardio yourself to death.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    12. don't set time restrictions.
    13. measure yourself weekly. Don't just weigh. Measure and take pictures.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. If you ask a question on the forum, give as much information as you can ("yes, I have a food scale and weigh my food" is worlds better than "I eat a palm full of miscellaneous boiled chicken parts..sometimes.")
    17. Be honest with yourself and honest with us.
    18. This isn't a game, it's about changing your lifestyle. Do that.

pretty much that.

...and don't fall into the "1200 calorie" vertigo of suck because of:

the typical MFP users does this:
    1. I wanna lose weight, let's try MFP.
    2. OH! Wow, it tells me I can lose 2 lbs a WEEK? AWESOME!
    3. I just sit at a desk when I'm not working out, I guess I'm sedentary.
    4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    5. Lose a lot, fast, brag about 1200 calorie success.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.
    7. Get on the forums, ask why they aren't losing.
    8. Get two responses (I eat 1200 and lose) (I eat 2200 and lose)
    9. Argument ensues about who is right.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

Find out what you need: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

and make sure to read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

If you "fell off of the wagon" it was because you made it a change that you couldn't keep up with. Make little changes. Make the wagon easier to stay on.

...and specifically, get a lot more protein and good fats in your diet. They'll keep you full longer.
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    eat more protein. you are eating mostly foods high in carbs.

Protein makes us feel full for longer periods of time.. Carbs make us think we're full for a few minutes.

I agree, you are too low on protein. I would also start the day by eating a little more. You are low on calories and the morning and that might be one of the things that are making you feel hungry later in the day.
  • FlyThisKite
    FlyThisKite Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    @trogalicious... best reply EVER....I'm like adding you..now...now now.....now before now is an a now...right now. lol
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Yow...if I ate that many apples I'd be ready to eat roadkill. Seriously.

Agree with others -- more protein and fat, less carbs. Turkey sausage or eggs (or both) for breakfast. A chicken leg instead of a granola bar. A smoothie with a few tablespoons of protein powder.

Not saying you won't still be grumpy, etc. If this is a big drop from what you were originally eating per day, it's going to be at least a week until you adjust. Might want to step it down in stages.
  • disneygallagirl
    disneygallagirl Posts: 515 Member
    Options
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    yup.

1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. If you ask a question on the forum, give as much information as you can ("yes, I have a food scale and weigh my food" is worlds better than "I eat a palm full of miscellaneous boiled chicken parts..sometimes.")

pretty much that.

4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

and make sure to read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

If you "fell off of the wagon" it was because you made it a change that you couldn't keep up with. Make little changes. Make the wagon easier to stay on.

...and specifically, get a lot more protein and good fats in your diet. They'll keep you full longer.

this multiplied times infinity. This is a thread killer. Because it is absolute perfect and its advice.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I'd increase protein for sure. And that's related to the next suggestion too -

I also think you might be happier if you ditch the 6 tiny meals and have 3 larger meals. Some people really like small meals but I personally find it just makes me feel unsatisfied all day long. I eat 2 big meals and a snack most days.

Bigger meals also make it easier to get more protein.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    (much hilarity cut)

MFP in a nutshell.
  • 40DayFit
    40DayFit Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Hey, Mamacita,

I was thinking that your protein seemed pretty low from the two days you have listed so far. I also wondered about the volume of the food you're eating for the calories. Have you ever heard of Volumetrics? It suggests that we consider the energy density of the foods we eat. 100 calories of raisins is a much smaller volume of food than 100 calories of grapes.

Take that granola bar you're eating in the mornings. Tasty, maybe, not too many calories..but gone in just a few bites. I mean, gone-gone. Hard-to-remember-you-ate-it gone. A bowl of oatmeal with some chopped nuts might take you up to 200 or so calories for one cup of oats and 1-2 tbl slivered almonds...but there's more volume. And therefore, higher likelihood of satiety. Add 1/2 cup of unsweetened almond milk and a little sweetener...your granola bar and roasted nori snack becomes a hearty bowl of oatmeal with more staying power for similar calories and perhaps a better nutritional profile.

I aim to include a decent amount of protein at each feeding, because I've learned that it helps me feel full. Right now, I start my mornings with a protein shake--it really seems to take the edge off that sense of "food urgency" that used to creep in later in the morning. But I've also enjoyed an eggwhite scramble with tons of vegetables added in. Protein, yes, and as much volume as the added vegetables provide. Still keep it pretty level calorie-wise, but greater quantity of food. As my stomach adjusts to getting and wanting less, I'm still making sure that I feel "filled." I may not immediately feel "full," but I'm training myself to wait to see how I really feel--and I'm finding that I'm actually satisfied with less than I thought I'd want.

I wonder how much time you have, or are willing to put into, preparing food in advance for your workday. I am currently eating off of some chicken stock, steamed asparagus, simmered zucchini, and a rotisserie chicken that I prepared Sunday night (okay, I purchased the chicken from Costco). I also include oranges sliced into wedges at home, and some small apples that I keep in the work fridge for snacks. I count out 10-20 raw almonds I keep in my drawer to go with the fruit. I actually ate last of the zucchini today (like a stew, with the chicken stock and some turkey smoked sausage), so tonight I'll steam some broccoli and take that to work for the next few days.

If you feel short on time, you might be looking at switching around your prepackaged items. Some soups plus lean turkey, limitless salad greens with a can of black beans or tuna and 2 tbl dressing.

What do you think might work for you to help you bring in more volume, up your protein, and keep your lifestyle liveable?
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    yup.

14 BE PATIENT.

pretty much that.

Great Post ! Really good info .
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options

I'm eating 1,700 per day. This is day two. I am trying to lose 90 lbs. And I still won't be skinny, just not morbidly obese anymore. I am cranky and moody because I don't feel like I'm eating enough. You can see my food diary--today for 3 pm snack I wanted to tear off a cows leg and eat it. I'm feeling all stressed out about it. Maybe it has something to do with I cannot take my lunch break in peace.

well yes I felt this way at first., I think its normal but you can tweek your food choices so that you feel more satisfied. maybe instead of the granola bar, have a packet of high fiber oatmeal for the same calories. and pair your apples with a single serving of peanut butter every once in awhile. also eat a salad with your lunch and dinner. I don't know if you like spicy stuff but I love it. I found a trick to eating a salad is to load up the lettuce, tomatoes, mushrooms onions, etc and then use a salsa or my fav green tomatillo or green verde salsa. its only 15 calories for 2 tablespoons. sometimes I add in black beans for the fiber. crap I forgot what you ate for dinner but the point is to add in lots of low calories fillers to every meal and snack. and instead of the cheese that you ate, try a babybell light or a cheese stick that is low fat. and then you could have an egg for the protein. eggs with salsa are great morning eats. and low cal too. make sure you drink lots of water all day. just try to aim for more protein and fiber and limit the fats and carbs and drink more water. pretty soon your body will adjust and quit protesting by making you hungry as much
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    The most crucial thing for me is protein. I weigh 125 lbs and try to get at least 100 g of protein a day.
  • FlyyMamaCita
    Options
    I cherish and adore all of you who replied. I am soooooo tired, and just wanted to chime in and say a hearty THANK YOU EVERYONE!!! I will come back and talk to yall tomorrow. After the wine, fast food and candy I'm exhausted. I can't lie, I have to keep it real---I really messed up tonight. Sigh. Hopefully I'll do better, and with the great advice I've been given I feel safe and on the right track here amongst such GREAT and successful people!!!! I appreciate the time and effort taken out to reach out to me. It means so much. Goodnight.
  • jigsaw_me
    jigsaw_me Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with the information given above - especially the "more protein" option.

However, i have a completely different approach that you might like to think about and that is just enter a 'normal' (non diet, not watching what you eat) day into your diary and look at where the calories are.

And then tweak - portion sizes or substitute one thing for another. (Water for pop is an 'easy' switch). See if you can tweak it down to 1700 or thereabouts. Starting out tweaking it down maybe 2000 is all you can get down to, if so, give that a try for 2 weeks and see if the scales / tape measure / goal clothes or whatever you're using to measure success shows any benefits.

Often eating more "normally" takes away the mental side of "i'm on a diet, i can't eat, i'm starving" type thoughts.
  • manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I think 1700cal a day is enough to not feel hungry if you eat the right foods.

I agree with eating more protein, I would also suggest you eat bigger meals. It looks to me like you're eating small/low cal meals, getting hungry again then snacking till next meal, which is another small/low cal meal etc.

I eat 5 times a day, every 3hrs.Therefore in your situation I'd be aiming for 300-350cals per meal. I'd be putting a decent amount of protein in each meal aswell.
  • 40DayFit
    40DayFit Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with the information given above - especially the "more protein" option.

However, i have a completely different approach that you might like to think about and that is just enter a 'normal' (non diet, not watching what you eat) day into your diary and look at where the calories are.

And then tweak - portion sizes or substitute one thing for another. (Water for pop is an 'easy' switch). See if you can tweak it down to 1700 or thereabouts. Starting out tweaking it down maybe 2000 is all you can get down to, if so, give that a try for 2 weeks and see if the scales / tape measure / goal clothes or whatever you're using to measure success shows any benefits.

Often eating more "normally" takes away the mental side of "i'm on a diet, i can't eat, i'm starving" type thoughts.

This is a great comment on multiple levels!

Not only do I agree that starting with tracking our "traditional" eating can help us see just how we have been eating to date, and gives us places to begin tweaking with healthy substitutions or adding in more vegetables, etc.

I also think it's wonderful that you introduced the idea of non-scale measurements and non-dietary successes. This is great! It's so easy to be overwhelmed by notions of "perfect eating" (especially since one of the main tools on MFP is the food diary) and to jump in wanting to master it all from Day 1. We can (and I think should) define our success in so many ways! From sticking with consistent tracking of our food, regardless of what we ate, to drinking more water, to making a plan for the week, each week...on up to pounds and inches reduced.

The thoughts in our own minds are one of the biggest areas to address--we could all use a reminder to check in on those inner thoughts from time to time.

Thanks for your post!
  • roniredd
    Options
    My coworker calls that feeling ... "Hangry!" You are hungry and angry and yes, I think most of us have experienced it. Just hang in there. Remember, you will have good days and bad days ... little changes lead to big ones!!!
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    I cherish and adore all of you who replied. I am soooooo tired, and just wanted to chime in and say a hearty THANK YOU EVERYONE!!! I will come back and talk to yall tomorrow. After the wine, fast food and candy I'm exhausted. I can't lie, I have to keep it real---I really messed up tonight. Sigh. Hopefully I'll do better, and with the great advice I've been given I feel safe and on the right track here amongst such GREAT and successful people!!!! I appreciate the time and effort taken out to reach out to me. It means so much. Goodnight.

Yet another sign you need to drop your calories in stages. Personally, I'd recommend going back to your "normal" eating for a couple of days, but log everything you eat -- that way you've got an honest baseline. From there, you can drop your calories a few hundred at a time until you get down to where you want to be.

This weight loss thing is a long race -- no point in pulling a muscle coming out of the starting blocks.