Food Scales; Needed or Not?

Options
13»

Replies

• Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    I use mine, not as religiously as I should....but yeah, recommend them :smile:
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I didn't NEED to use one, but once I got one it made life so much easier. You can be as strict or as lenient as you like with it. The best part, for me, is things like candy or potato chips. Not sure how much an ounce of potato chips is (12-17 chips? There's absolutely no size consistency!)? Don't want to divide a big bag into individual serving baggies? Food scale to the rescue! I get to eat my chips without concern, including all the little crumbs.

It also really saves on using the measuring cups. Most things have a grams weight on them for the serving size. Rather than measuring out 1/4 cup of shredded cheese, I just put my mixing bowl on the food scale, zero it out, and put in 28 grams. Dishes saved! Do you need any reason other than less dishes?

Seriously though, I just got back from a 2-week vacation without my food scale, and I really missed having it. It makes life easier, even if you're still losing weight without it.
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I'm a little bit scared because after reading this post I have a feeling I am definitely not accurately estimating certain things. I will definitely be getting a food scale now.

Mine was an eye-opener. My bowls of cereal turned out to be nearly 2 servings - and of course, I would then add nearly 2 servings of milk.

It's also instructive (if depressing) to realize that food labels are often inaccurate. I buy some bread that's labeled 90 calories per slice (43g), but a slice can be as much as 50g, or 105 calories - 16% more than on the label. That's not a problem for bread unless you eat a loaf, but if everything is mislabeled, the errors can add up.

This is very true. I showed my girlfriend that she was using 2 tablespoons of mayo instead of 1 like she thought. 14 grams is so small. Also I get angry measuring canned foods because we are being ripped off with water weight. haha
  • hlcook
    hlcook Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I use one because I like to make my own food and if I haven't tried something before I want to measure it out to ensure I have the correct portions/servings ... it's more like a learning tool for me than something I'm going to live and die on :)
  • candacet36
    candacet36 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the person. I weigh and measure everything and I have lost 68 pounds...but for others it is a hassle.

I love mine and wouldn't trade it for the world.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I lost most of my weight, at just over the expected rate without one. It is not necessary if you are honest with yourself, just like an HRM isn't. I'm sure that I slightly underestimated my food, but I set myself to sedentary which underestimated my general activity level. If I had lost a little less than expected over a few weeks, then I would have dropped my cals a bit, and bumped them if I was losing too quickly, but that didn't happen.

Now, I use it most of the time. It's faster. Instead of "deciding" how much I have on my plate, I can just read it off. I compared my eyeball estimate to the reality on several things when I first got it, and I was within half an oz on everything sometimes low and sometimes high.

It's cheap and helpful, but not necessary.
  • dtimedwards
    dtimedwards Posts: 319 Member
    Options

It also really saves on using the measuring cups. Most things have a grams weight on them for the serving size. Rather than measuring out 1/4 cup of shredded cheese, I just put my mixing bowl on the food scale, zero it out, and put in 28 grams. Dishes saved! Do you need any reason other than less dishes?

I use it that way, and I also use it in reverse... I'll put the container of yogurt, dip, ice cream or whatever on the scale and just eat until I hit my desired serving size.

Yes I live alone, and yes I'm usually in my underwear when I'm doing this... DON'T JUDGE ME.
  • Indiri13
    Indiri13 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I didn't use one until I got closer to my goal but now it's become really helpful since I have a much smaller window between loss and maintenance.
  • oceanbreeze27
    oceanbreeze27 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I love my food scale! It's just a cheap one and I think I found it at a yard sale. But it gets the job done, keeps me on track, and looks kind of cute on my counter. :oP I found myself falling into the danger zone when I would estimate so the scale helps me stay accurate in my calculations.
  • michable
    michable Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Digital food scales are a must in my mind. Portion sizes are so much smaller than you think. 100 g of cooked rice looks tiny in the bottom of your bowl; 100 g of chicken breast is a lot smaller than you think; bread is always heavier than the serving size suggests; 30 g of almonds is not many almonds; and the weight of a banana can vary substantially.

And don't get me started on breakfast cereal! Who eats only 1 serving size? 30-40g of cereal barely covers the bottom of your cereal bowl.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    It depends on how good you are at estimating portions and how precise you want/need to be. Before I started using a food scale I was underestimating my intake by around 600 calories or so and I was on here all, "HALP...not losing...what am I doing wrong...I think I'm doing everything right." I used measuring spoons and cups, but I'd heap them up with whatever food it was which is a killer with calorie dense foods...and I'd also log a chicken breast as 4 oz because the package said "1 chicken breast 4 oz"...but really, a whole chicken breast is closer to 8 oz, etc, etc, etc.

I also think it's pretty critical when you don't have a huge calorie deficit...I'm just going into a very small cut right now and I only have around a 300 calorie deficit so my margin of error is pretty slim...few extra almonds would pretty much wipe my deficit out. I also found it to be a good tool just to help me visually gauge portion size, which I did for the most part while I was maintaining.

This is a great explanation. I was good at eyeballing my portions (being an engineer might have helped). I also use the deck of cards = 3oz meat and 6 dice= 1 oz cheese estimations to help as well. This person ^^ was not so good. Other people may not be so good at it because they will minimize everything, consciously or unconsciously, as much as they can and still convince themselves so that they can eat more.

The size of your deficit also matters as stated above.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    yes, you need a food scale…you would be shocked in the different between a "cup" of this and then the actual measurements…

whenever people say they are in a deficit and not losing, the first thing I recommend is to get a food scale and weigh everything..

they are only like 20.00...
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I just bought a Taylor digital scale at Target ($35). WOW what an eye opening experience. I used to guess----what a mistake. What a difference in my portions. I am so glad I bought the scale I use it everyday.
  • Losing_Sarah
    Losing_Sarah Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I live by mine. I agree with the other suggestions about it being digital and has the options to show the grams. Grams is more exact than the ounce setting.

Mine is OXO and was about $30 at Target. I've had it for almost 4 years and I haven't had to change the batteries yet and I've used it multiple times per day, every day pretty much since I bought it.

I realized when I first got it that I was WAY overestimating my portions and while I use measuring cups and spoons for a couple things still in general that method can be off and also varies. ( I have two sets of them and when I measured things using the same size cups and spoons they were different half the time, besides being off as far as the weight is concerned.)
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Well .. I had an MFP friend that measured 1/2 cup of rice and called it 180 calories. Well .. sorry but I measured out rice based on the weight on the package (apparently was 1/2 cup based on the weight on the box) .. it was actually 360 calories.

So eyeballing it .. is a bad bad idea and why unless you measure you are likely eating more calories than you think you are.

Simple. This is why I use a food scale .. the measurement in grams is never out. And yes .. .a bit more precise than oz as well.
  • mellylq
    mellylq Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I use mine ALL OF THE TIME! I use it more than I ever imagined. I have always enjoyed cooking, but didn't realize how handy it would come in recipes. I picked up a cheap digital scale for $14 at K-Mart, and it has worked like a charm. Highly recommended here.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    I coasted along at the same weight for a very long time. After buying a scale the fat has started to come off again! For me (and this is a personal thing) it is not just the accuracy that the scale gives, it is the discipline of it too.

I KNOW what I am eating and the effect that it should have on my body in terms of fat loss etc. I found when I was making estimates all the time it was far too easy to be a few hundred cals over or under, and over the course of a week or month that makes it extremely difficult to assess what your TDEE is and how much you really need to be eating to meet your goals.

I measure most of my weekly intake, but I don't let it rule my life. I'll still have a couple of meals a week when I go out and make best guesses at my intake, but overall my accuracy (and results) are far greater with the scale than without it.

Oh and FWIW, my family still occasionally roll their eyes when I weigh my food, but they're getting over it. They can't argue with my progress! :wink:
  • bernied262
    bernied262 Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I use my digital scales all the time, for every meal. Eyeballing/guesstimating made me fat :) As soon as I started using the scales I started to see the weight come off. Now that I am at my goal weight, I still use them for every meal to make sure I am hitting my cal/protein/fat allowances.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Worth the 12 dollars to me. Helps me really see a portion and no more measuring spoons to try cleaning peanut butter out of.
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Just got this one. Ozeri Pro Digital Kitchen Food Scale, 1g to 12 lbs Capacity.

It sets to zero after you put a bowl on. You can measure in grams or ounces or anything. I'm just so sad that what I thought was a serving was usually about half a serving....sigh.....but the truth is the beginning of freedom!:laugh:

I have that one too and love it! I use it every day.