Weight loss tips?

Hi everyone Im new here well im starting on my journey to loose 100lbs and I just wanted to hear some of your success stories and tips as well as recipes. Im used to eating very unhealthy and this is pretty much a big challenge for me because I dont know how to begin my new lifestyle. Im already cutting down on junk food sodas and eating out almost every day but I am left with now what do I eat. Please help me.

Replies

• navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Commit to logging all your food, weigh all your food, stay the course when things don't seem to be going well, don't deny yourself the foods you like, no food is inherently "uh-healthy" and just give it time, it's not a race.

Rigger
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Look at both daily and weekly numbers ... there will be days where you don't exercise as planned, eat over your daily caloric goal, or both ... one bad day does not ruin the plan, just average it out over the week to stay on course.

Don't just use the scale. Take before pictures from various angles. Measure body parts. Note how certain clothes fit now. Then track changes on all of those. The scale might not move while the other indicators show progress. There is no such thing as spot reduction ... you might lose weight, shrink one body part, while another that you obsess about remains the same for a while ... focus on the overall progress not the things you can't override (darn genetics). It's about getting in better shape and altering your body composition in a healthy way.

Eating more healthy foods does not mean you have to deprive yourself. Just keep things in moderation. A piece of candy is just some carbs that probably fits in your goals. A box of candy is a lot of carbs that could present a temporary blip. Log it ... and if you're on path great, if you slip get back on path.

Incorporate both cardio and strength training into your exercise plan. If there are activities you enjoy, build your plans around those so you are doing things you like, not forcing yourself to exercise.
  • shira324
    shira324 Posts: 156 Member
    Remind yourself often why you're doing this. Don't beat yourself up for one bad meal or one bad day, every morning starts fresh with a clean slate. Commit to a real lifestyle change, eat more fresh fruits & veggies, cook for yourself as much as possible. Learn to love a good, hard workout. Every little step will add up, and you'll be amazed with the changes in yourself.

At the end of the day, it's a simple equation. Eat less, move more. You're stronger than your stomach. Love yourself, you can do this!
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    The one tip that has made the most difference for me was to get in more protein. When I started I never tracked my protein, heck I was so ignorant that I didn't even know what protein was, lol. When I changed my settings I was shocked at how low my protein number had been. I had to learn about protein sources and what a good number should be. When I upped my protein, my empty hungries went away after about a week. Had I done this at the start, I would have saved myself from a lot of misery. Welcome to MFP :flowerforyou:
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Patience!!!!!!

Just about any healthy diet plan will work if you follow it. However, a lot of people want all the weight to come off in a week. True, LASTING success takes patience and a change in habits.
  • Do you know how I ate healthier? I added foods. Try to add a bag of veggies to lunch and dinner (or split one between the two). Eat the veggies first and add two glasses of water. This will start to fill you up so you won't be as tempted to overeat. I quit drinking soda by nonstop chewing mint gum. I hated the taste of drinking a diet soda with the mint taste in my mouth so I cold-turkeyed it this way (takes a lot of self control) and had withdrawals for about two weeks. After that I was fine! Best of luck.
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Hello and welcome! Remember it takes time to lose weight, do not waste money on gimmicks, eat healthier and exercise, dont avoid the foods you love, everything in moderation!! Good luck!
  • Thanks everyone for your feedback I will take notes on every piece of advice you gave me its so hard though im tempted to eat like i used to eat and thats not good
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Commit to logging all your food, weigh all your food, stay the course when things don't seem to be going well, don't deny yourself the foods you like, no food is inherently "uh-healthy" and just give it time, it's not a race.

Rigger

This...

and the only other thing I have to say is this...want it bad enough...you don't have to change what you eat just how much...that is the key to weight loss. My diary is open feel free to take a look (except last week I was in Dominican and no access to internet).

Other piece of advice is slowly add in exercise...not for weight loss but for health and to maintain muscle (esp weight lifting), find something you like/love and do it...not only will you lose inches you will feel better physically.

Don't go to low calorie either...ie below 1200 I personally eat 1700 a day and lose weight quickly depending on my activity, I eat at McDonalds, have chocolate everyday, drink my diet coke (for taste), have my bacon and eggs and toaster strudle...all in an effort to hit my 1700 and because it tastes good...

Last piece of advice....

Want it...be patient...read...learn...look at tickers for successes and listen to them...
  • Drink plenty of water. Log your calories and food and don't cheat or lie about it. Walk, exercise just move! :-)