What happens when you slip and cheat? :(

Options
I ate pretty good all day and for dinner had some cod & vegetables, a salad and some yogurt. But on the way home from dinner my friends and I stopped at the school convenience store and i bought a bag of kettle corn (200cal) and ate it on the walk home :( now i'm over my calorie goal by like 230 cal. I have dance later tonight but i'm still mad that I ate that popcorn.

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    So, you are over by 230 and still going dancing, so you will be right on target?

Where is the slip up?
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Assuming you have your weight loss goal set to 1lb per week. And let's say you didn't burn that 230 calories off.

Your deficit for the week would be 3270 calories, or just shy of one pound. I think you're going to be okay.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I ate over 4000 calories the other day... but that was within my limits.

If I'm a bit over, I don't stress as I'm setup for a 3500 deficit weekly, but I suspect in reality it was more like 5500. So losing 230 out of that isn't the end of the world and might help with muscle retention etc.

If I'm particularly bothered, I'll do some punch bag work, go for a run or a cycle ride.
    (As it is, likely I've already been for a cycle ride I've not logged.)

If I've got exercise planned, I'll not worry until I've done that exercise anyway.
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    You die.

I kid...

Um, nothing happens. You move on. You move more. You learn to live within the world of delicious treats by either making room, or moving more.

I would suspect that you are set to the MFP minimum (1200) therefore making the 230 overage HUGE in your eyes, but really, it's not, especially if you're going dancing. Have fun!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    You learn from it and move on. Everyone slips up. Tomorrow's a new day!
  • onelov3
    onelov3 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    You take a deep breath and let it go. Recognize you won't always have amazing will power and every once in awhile it is okay to give yourself a treat. One day - especially if you've only gone over by 200 some cals - is really not going to effect you in the long run. Besides, if you are going dancing, you'll burn it off.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I ate pretty good all day and for dinner had some cod & vegetables, a salad and some yogurt. But on the way home from dinner my friends and I stopped at the school convenience store and i bought a bag of kettle corn (200cal) and ate it on the walk home :( now i'm over my calorie goal by like 230 cal. I have dance later tonight but i'm still mad that I ate that popcorn.

If you're set to lose a pound a week, your "cheat" means that you only ran a 270 calorie deficit today instead of a 500 calorie one.

In other words, you are still losing weight.
  • jennifries227
    jennifries227 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Ever heard the saying "Don't cry over spilled milk"? This is spilled milk. It's gonna be ok.

Cheating is fine as long as you don't do it every single day. I cheat every Saturday because I know I'll go crazy if I don't, and I've lost 14 pounds since November. That's without exercising most of that time.

You'll be fine. You might even be better for it, once you see that nothing bad happened. Dust yourself off, go dancing, have fun, and don't sweat the small stuff.
  • AdventureFreak
    AdventureFreak Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I slip up once a week but 1000 to 2000 calories at times. I am a bit heavier for a couple days and it is fine. The trouble is doing it regularly right?!
  • tararag
    tararag Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I actually just changed it back to 1.5lbs/week so now its back at 1200 calories/day so now im over about 430. I dont know how much dancing burns so Its hard to judge. Should I eat less tomorrow to account for this? I kind of feel like i'm freaking out more than I should but I don't know. The big red "430" i guess makes me feel discouraged.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I actually just changed it back to 1.5lbs/week so now its back at 1200 calories/day so now im over about 430. I dont know how much dancing burns so Its hard to judge. Should I eat less tomorrow to account for this? I kind of feel like i'm freaking out more than I should but I don't know. The big red "430" i guess makes me feel discouraged.

I'm not sure that's a smart move. If the red numbers cause you anxiety even when you're still in a deficit, lowering the calorie goal only pushes you closer to dangerous territory.

You don't have much weight to lose. Keep your goal at 1 lb/week an focus on the weekly graph. You're doing fine.
  • tararag
    tararag Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Okay, I guess I will change it back I just feel like 1lb a week isn't that much
  • zzonked
    zzonked Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    That is absolutely nothing in terms of the big picture.
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    The food you committed to will feel hurt and jealous, and you may lose your relationship.
  • Justintyme328
    Justintyme328 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    What happens when you slip and cheat? Somebody gets pregnant
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    1 pound a week is plenty. This slip up is tiny. Blow it off. You're gonna be fine. :flowerforyou:
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    If you have less than 10 pounds to lose you should be set to .5 pounds per week. Yes it will take twice as long (20 weeks instead of 10) but it will be worth it in the end as you will learn how to eat at the correct calorie amount for maintenance. Also you won't be freaked out as you will most likely not even have gone over or only by 20 cals.

Also - no need to freak out anyway, you are still at a deficit as your maintenance is most likely above 1700 I am sure. (not knowing your height, I am guessing age (college) since you mentioned school convenience store)

Don't sweat it, no need to 'make up for it tomorrow', just move on with your plan. Good luck!
  • Lifelink
    Lifelink Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    When you go just 1 calorie over, you seem to gain like 5 extra pounds right in the belly region. When that happens, the only way to get rid of it is to go through 1 week of fasting. No food, no water at all. Then afterward, you drink 1 cup of green bean coffee to jump-start the metabolism. The weight just comes right off when you do this, according to Dr. Oz.
  • HawkeyeTy
    HawkeyeTy Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Nothing.

I am going to go over my limit by around a 1000 calories today...the good news is that's my maintenance.

Also, you have 9?lbs to lose...you should set it up for .5lbs/week
  • LVCeltGirl
    Options

It isn't much but also you don't have much to lose. You want a slow and steady loss. If you lose even 5 lbs but quickly, you're more likely to gain back 10 lbs because you really didn't change anything. Slow and steady means that you're changing habits, learning what is a treat and what are the type of foods you want to have daily. You're going to be just fine and figure out how to count your dancing tonight. That will help make the "red" number smaller, if not non-existent.