Nuts

Options
What kind of nuts are the healthiest and have low calories? And also can be found in many stores. Im going to go food shopping :D

Replies

• jessicalhall85
    Options
    almonds?
  • Red13
    Red13 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    pistachios are the lowest calorie but all nuts in moderation are good, try to get unsalted if you can.
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I loooooove almonds! 1 oz is about 150 cal and are full of healthy monounsaturated fats.
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    yes, definitely the unsalted. hit the baking aisle. i do 1/4 c pecans or walnuts with blueberries for a snack some times. and the almonds and pistachio commenters are dead on--those are the best, but the others have health benefits too. keep the macadamias for an occasional treat due to fat content. Have fun!
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    If you have Dan-D-Pak's get those. 1kg bag of almonds here(British Columbia, Canada) is $10 and lasts about a week or so, at least for me. I measure it into 1/4 cup bags which is about 200cal. I measure it just so I know what I've eaten for the day if I go back over it later. I eat 2-4 bags a day. I also crush a bag or two to sprinkle on things like smoothies or whatever.

Cashews are really good as well but costly and don't worry about the fat content because nuts are full of healthy fats, not trans-fats/saturated fats.

And like everyone has said, stay away from the salted/flavoured nuts, you want au-natural.
  • beethedreamer
    beethedreamer Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    unsalted is definitely the way to go, and raw is even better if you can find them. most nuts are high calorie and high fat, but its all good fats that are uber good for your body. personally i like almonds, cashews, and shelled sunflower seeds. so yummmyyy
  • donbogi
    donbogi Posts: 175
    Options
    My doc instructed me to eat 20 natural (non-salted or flavored) almonds a day! They are good and it satisfies my hunger in the afternoon! Trust me - you will feel the same!

Good Health & Cheers!
    Don
  • rescuepete
    rescuepete Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I keep raw, unsalted pistachios, almonds and walnuts around. I recommend a small handful of any of them 20 minutes before a meal, and it surprisingly curbs your overall appetite. Walnuts are good brain food and packed with tons of Omega-3 fatty acids, and since I don't really like fish, it works well for to meet that requirement.
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I buy the single serving packs of raw almonds at Trader Joe's and eat them as snacks during the day. The regular stores have 100 calorie packs of raw almonds as well.
  • FireRox21
    FireRox21 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Why, yes I am, thanks for asking!!!!

:laugh: I kid, I kid!!!!

I love almonds, etc. but I had no idea Trader Joe's had 100 calorie packs. I am so gonna have to go there. Now if only Costco would sell those. I always eat WAY too many nuts/dried fruits for my calorie limit. They're like chips, you can't eat just one (or a handfull for that matter).
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Pssst...just a personal observation about the 100 cal packs of almonds.... I have never had one that contained the correct weight. All of them were short on weight. I bought a bulk bag of natural almonds and weighed out the correct amount, looked at it and thought I had messed up! There were way more almonds than I had gotten out of the 100 cal pack! The next time I bought the 100 cal packs I started to weigh them....all of them were short 3-8 nuts. I know it is a little thing to quibble over, but if I am sticking to a low cal program I want ALL those cals! lol:ohwell: