Too much soy?

Options
First let me say that I'm not looking for a debate. I know there will be conflicting views, and that's fine, but I was just wondering what would be considered "too much soy" if there is such a thing. I am neutral because ive read things about soy, but so many people say eat it liberally, and then an equal amount advise to avoid it like the plague.

I'm an 18 year old who is active, and I'm a vegetarian, so I eat tofurkey (2 slices like 5 days a week) and sometimes I drink soy milk. I also eat the power bars that have like 20 grams of protein coming from a whey/soy blend. I just recently started to eat these, and there may be some foods that contain soy that I'm consuming (somewhat unknowingly because I read labels, but I don't necessarily avoid soy products)

Too much? Or does it not matter? What are some benefits / dangers of soy consumption?

Replies

• PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Nothing?
  • dreamer48216
    Options
    You weeded out all the trolls when you said you weren't looking for a debate. :laugh:

Myself, I don't really have much to offer you because I have hypothyroidism and there is controversy/concern that soy messes with thyroid function and overall hormonal health...so I just avoid it to be on the safe side.
  • OhCora
    OhCora Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Following this thread, I would like to hear more.
    I recently switched protein powders from a whey based one to a soya based one...so far, I have felt like there are rocks in my belly every day since I switched. hoping my body gets used to it, cuz I bought a REALLY big container. I planned to share it with my sister -in-law, but she has been told that because she has had cancer, she is not to use soya stuff, because it tends to make the body store additional estrogen which can encourage further development of cancer cells. To my knowledge, it is not harmful to anyone outside of that, unless a person is allergic.

I am also wondering how much is too much, I have two shakes a day, and like I said, not feeling so great, and that is the only part of my routine that has changed.
  • zivasak
    Options
    Try to eat fermented soy like miso and tempeh. I moved to Indonesia this year and I am addicted to tempeh.

There is conflicting information about non fermented soy product. Try to research more on this until you are comfortable with the amount. All is certain is that I would keep away from the processed soy products.

Hope this helps.
  • OhCora
    OhCora Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    You weeded out all the trolls when you said you weren't looking for a debate. :laugh:

Myself, I don't really have much to offer you because I have hypothyroidism and there is controversy/concern that soy messes with thyroid function and overall hormonal health...so I just avoid it to be on the safe side.

your comment came along while I was typing, just so you know i wasn't disagreeing with you or anything. Interesting, I did not know about those concerns either!
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! The thing is, my tofurkey is labelled as "natural" and to my knowledge, gmo free. I suppose its still processed soy since its not soybeans in their unaltered form. Not sure if that has anything to do with it or not
  • dreamer48216
    Options

your comment came along while I was typing, just so you know i wasn't disagreeing with you or anything. Interesting, I did not know about those concerns either!

Oh, I knew you weren't! If anything, you were kind of agreeing since you mentioned the estrogen concerns.

:)
  • echoesmyron
    echoesmyron Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Estrogen concerns have already been mentioned.

There seems to be some distinction made between traditional soy foods like tofu or miso and soy supplements (not sure if the protein bars you mentioned would fall into this category).
    For example: http://www.cancer.org/healthy/eathealthygetactive/acsguidelinesonnutritionphysicalactivityforcancerprevention/acs-guidelines-on-nutrition-and-physical-activity-for-cancer-prevention-common-questions

If you feel that you are consuming too much soy you could substitute almond milk for soy milk. Though there have been concerns raised with carrageenan as well.

Interested in what information others have to add.
  • stiobhard
    stiobhard Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Though there have been concerns raised with carrageenan as well.

carrageenan is a sea vegetable, like kelp, nori, hijiki, agar, etc. In scotland and ireland they have harvested it since 400 AD to use in soups and so forth. it is probably as old as eating oats and barley in that region. In japan they have used similar sea vegetables for at least as long. (Since 600 BC in China) There is a recipe in Diderot's 18th century encyclopedia. Its use is similar to the starches, nuts, bread crumbs, roux, etc traditionally used to make gravies and bechemel sauces (one of the four mother sauces in classic french cooking)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Other than edamame and soy sauce, I don't consume other types of soy and don't see any reason why I would start.
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    Try to eat fermented soy like miso and tempeh. I moved to Indonesia this year and I am addicted to tempeh.

There is conflicting information about non fermented soy product. Try to research more on this until you are comfortable with the amount. All is certain is that I would keep away from the processed soy products.

Hope this helps.

MMMMMMMMM!!! Love tempeh! I use miso soup to "take the edge off" of my hunger when I can't eat (like when I'm busy at work, etc.)

I'm one of those odd people that loves tofu, especially spiced and stir-fried. I also like unsweetened soy milk but actually prefer unsweetened almond milk.

Too much soy? According to the American Cancer Society:
    Epidemiological studies, in which large populations of healthy women have reported details about their usual diet and were followed for many years, have either shown no association between soy and breast cancer, or a protective association, meaning that people who ate more soy had less breast cancer.
    http://www.cancer.org/cancer/news/expertvoices/post/2012/08/02/the-bottom-line-on-soy-and-breast-cancer-risk.aspx

Soy and thyroid: According to the Mayo Clinic:
    Hypothyroidism is generally treated with synthetic thyroid hormone — and soy has long been thought to interfere with the body's ability to absorb the medication. However, there's no evidence that people who have hypothyroidism should avoid soy completely.

If you have hypothyroidism, take thyroid hormone replacement as directed by your doctor — typically when you have an empty stomach. Generally, it's best to wait four hours after taking thyroid medication to consume any products that contain soy. The same guidelines apply to other products that may impair the body's ability to absorb thyroid medication, including concentrated iron and calcium supplements, and antacids that contain calcium or aluminum hydroxide.
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hypothyroidism/expert-answers/hyperthyroidism/faq-20058188
  • tealgrove
    tealgrove Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I too have estrogen concerns so I'm careful of my soy intake. I switched from soy milk to almond milk but I do have soy in my protein drinks but then again I don't have them everyday. I love edamame but I don't overdo it.

With my family (mother, aunt, grandmother) history of estrogen sensitive cancers, and my own issues with blood clots, I have to be careful and was instructed by my Doctor not to eat large amounts of soy.

Everything, always in moderation.
  • changing4life
    changing4life Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I've heard the same thing about soy and hypothyroidism. I stay away from soy products as well.
  • paygep
    paygep Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Like you say, the research available is conflicting.

I'm not comfortable using it liberally anymore because of the possible link to increased chance of breast cancer. I personally decided to cut back on the amount of soy I consume, switching away from the soy products I used to have on a daily basis, like milk and yogurt. But I still eat soy products, foods I use less often like tofu and soy sauce.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

Hope this helps.

MMMMMMMMM!!! Love tempeh! I use miso soup to "take the edge off" of my hunger when I can't eat (like when I'm busy at work, etc.)

I'm one of those odd people that loves tofu, especially spiced and stir-fried. I also like unsweetened soy milk but actually prefer unsweetened almond milk.

Epidemiological studies, in which large populations of healthy women have reported details about their usual diet and were followed for many years, have either shown no association between soy and breast cancer, or a protective association, meaning that people who ate more soy had less breast cancer.
    http://www.cancer.org/cancer/news/expertvoices/post/2012/08/02/the-bottom-line-on-soy-and-breast-cancer-risk.aspx

Hypothyroidism is generally treated with synthetic thyroid hormone — and soy has long been thought to interfere with the body's ability to absorb the medication. However, there's no evidence that people who have hypothyroidism should avoid soy completely.

If you have hypothyroidism, take thyroid hormone replacement as directed by your doctor — typically when you have an empty stomach. Generally, it's best to wait four hours after taking thyroid medication to consume any products that contain soy. The same guidelines apply to other products that may impair the body's ability to absorb thyroid medication, including concentrated iron and calcium supplements, and antacids that contain calcium or aluminum hydroxide.
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hypothyroidism/expert-answers/hyperthyroidism/faq-20058188

That is good to know. I enjoy some soy products(veggie sausages, edamame and veggie burgers) and was concerned it might worsen my hypothyroidism if I had them a few times a week.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options

Hope this helps.

That is good to know. I enjoy some soy products(veggie sausages, edamame and veggie burgers) and was concerned it might worsen my hypothyroidism if I had them a few times a week.

I agree; meds should be taken as advised by the manufacturer, or by a qualified MD. But too many people don't want to be told what to do and take their meds irregularly or at a lesser dose, or with supplements that might impede absorbtion and then blame it on foods or other circumstances if the meds don't quite work.
    I often wonder about those statements in regard to soy products. During eleven years living in Tokyo I met apart from myself two people ( both Japanese ) who had thyroid trouble and at the time I was fully integrated in the Japanese society in regard to health care & information. Japanese are very health conscious and if there would be anything to worry about in regard to eating soy products, everyone would know.
    I had hypothyroidism, then lost my thyroid to cancer and am now on high dose HR and love tofu, soy sauce,okara, miso etc. I do not drink soy milk, because I don't like it. My lab work has always been within the expected range of my health problem, but I realize that everyone's mmv. I personally think that those who enjoy soy products and worry about an unhealthy influence on their health need to have it checked out, because I would not make health decisions based on the opinions of a group of people on a website.
  • ALNoog
    ALNoog Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I used to eat the big steam in bag bags of edamame every day for lunch and my husband kept telling me how bad it was for me.... But could never quite tell me why