TOPIC: Lexapro 20 mg & weight gain??

Options
I posted this weeks ago...Anyone have this problem? I was on Celexa 40 mg and she switched me to Lexapro 10 mg then upped it to 20 mg-I am thinking that Lexapro is slowing my weight loss down...??

Replies

• ohsobeautiful
    Options
    Hey!! I was recently put on Lexapro starting in November 2012. I weighed 275 lbs at that Dr appt. I started the lexapro and it helped a lot with my anxiety, but I ended up having to quit cold turkey In March of this year. When I returned to my Dr in February, I weighed in at 314 lbs!! I was shocked, I have gained almost 40 lbs in 3 months, this never happened before and I discussed this with my Dr and she said that it was because of my eating over the holidays, that was crazy I didnt believe her for a split second!! I researched and was shocked tow hat I found regarding weight gain on this and she said she wasnt worried about it with me. When I quit I instantly lost almost 10 lbs. I do blame the lexapro.
  • Allup2Me78
    Allup2Me78 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    It seems I was loosing ok until it really got into my system..I am not for sure but thinking I may have to change back to Celexa.
    Hey!! I was recently put on Lexapro starting in November 2012. I weighed 275 lbs at that Dr appt. I started the lexapro and it helped a lot with my anxiety, but I ended up having to quit cold turkey In March of this year. When I returned to my Dr in February, I weighed in at 314 lbs!! I was shocked, I have gained almost 40 lbs in 3 months, this never happened before and I discussed this with my Dr and she said that it was because of my eating over the holidays, that was crazy I didnt believe her for a split second!! I researched and was shocked tow hat I found regarding weight gain on this and she said she wasnt worried about it with me. When I quit I instantly lost almost 10 lbs. I do blame the lexapro.
  • shaunna424
    shaunna424 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Lexapro (10MG) is the whole reason I'm on here! I was put on Lex last fall (5MG) after a death in the family then went up to 10 in November, right before I moved from LA to New York. After I moved I cut out alcohol to only 2 days/week and started a 2 mile way there and back from work, but even with those changes, exercise, and eventually a gluten-free diet, I ballooned from 5'6 and 114 lbs to 135 lbs by April. I was lethargic and just felt miserable, and the weight all went to my midsection -- a part of me that has never historically maintained weight.

I started weening down on 4/21 and have been off the meds completely for 12 days now. My scale needs new batteries, but I'm hoping that healthy diet and 5-6 days a week doing an hour on the elliptical plus some weights will knock some weight off in time for summer. This has been so awful.
  • shannonmch
    shannonmch Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I was put on Lexapro 10mg prob about 6-7 yrs ago. 2-3 yrs ago, I had my dr increase it to 20mg. In the last 2 yrs, I have gained over 20 lbs. I run 2-4 days a wk, I do boot camp a few days a wk. I love to exercise. But I'm steadily gaining. I eat prob 85% clean. I try to do mostly high protein and low carbs. Still gaining. I'm 39. 5'4". When I graduated from HS, I weighed 103 lbs. I now weigh184 :( . Today I was near tears in my OB/GYN's office. He tells me that he believes it's the Lexapro. I'm goin to wean myself off w/ his approval. But thru prayer, I'm going to try to avoid any other antidepressants. I take mine mainly d/t irritability. You know how you get snappy and everyone and everything drives you bananas.....
  • shannonmch
    shannonmch Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Has anyone had any luck losing wt after stopping the Lexapro? If so, how long did it take before you started noticing wt loss?
  • Turntec22
    Options
    Lexapro f- with my sh-. I am male, so there are obvious diff. I was on Effexor for a few years. Had a few issues with it but lives with it. Evtentually decided I needed a switch. Put on lexapro and it was horrible. Depressed. Panic. Anxious. Wt gain, etc. I'm on cymbalta now and it's been great. Mood is so much better. Losing weight. Working out a ton, so it helps with endorphins. Basically lexapro sucks