Interesting Article- Obesity isn't about personal choice

Options

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    sounds like someone trying to avoid responsibility for their choices.

sorry but certain things stop being excuses once people become adults. i think a lot of pople need to mature and learn that even their NON choices is a choice. and that's just not about food, but about other stuff as well. just going along with things because it's easy or a habit is still a choice.
  • OmahaRocks
    OmahaRocks Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I agree with you. I know that I could not say "no" to myself. I ate and didn't exercise any "self-control". Obviously I was going to end up obese .. and that does not make me a "victim of society". I am a victim of the poor choices I have made .. and I have to accept personal responsibility for what I did to myself.
  • ezloshead
    ezloshead Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    She makes a lot of good points, but I don't think it all boils down to it not being a choice. I think some people are just going to have to try a lot harder to be fit than others. It's not fair and we definitely need to educate the young so they know what choices to make, but none of that means it's not a choice at all.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    #9 is exactly why it's a good idea to have compassion and understanding for ourselves for why it is difficult but not to surrender personal responsibility. The companies aren't going to change, so we have to. *This doesn't solve the societal problems involved for people that truly don't have access to resources including education, I know.
  • Paleohawk
    Paleohawk Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I wish I could agree with 11 shocking facts that Prove obesity isn't about personal choice. No. Let me say...

1. Not only to the poor people with their choice of diet, I had seen some very wealthy people who are overweight, too. Please don't fingerpoint to the poor, okay.
    2. Have to remind you that not only poor people who pick something sweet from grocery store. I had seen many excellent array of dessert trays at the hotel where people who can afford the kind of food there. In my opinions, main problems is not only on dessert, it is the choice of diet--high carbs and low fat diet. Sorry to say that if you guys and ladies who tried to lose weight with that kind of diet since I used to cook for customers and learned from my personal observation of people with their choice of food they want to eat or what to avoid. I had seen the results and that give me serious thoughts about planning my diet. I had seen people who did the Atkins and Paleo Diets, and they succeeded with their efforts to achieve the body fat losses. I am myself, not perfect on Paleo diet since I am on Disabled, and have to make choices for me to eat when I can afford. Pretty tough to live through but I am glad that I did my best.
    3. I wish I could agree with it. I had talked with good doctors who are famaliar with Paleo Diet and get their good advice why some people had hard time to lost weight and I agreed since I was a cook for several customers, see #2. I don't want to write more to make me feel that I bash anyone with their dietary errors--I prefer to respect every MyFitnessPals because we do know how hard to lose weight. My Friends, agreed?
    4. I agree with it. My metabolism is not same as your. What kind of workout we take, we took different because what we prefer, what we know how it will work with our bodies.
    5. School Lunch!!! Parent powers that the principals can't handle. More parent talk about lunches their kids have to eat. I had been there and was shocked with the choices of lunch in the buffet area and the line of food. Hot dogs, fried chicken tenders, chips. Not much salad station--iceberg lettuces, french dressing and ranch dressing--no low calories dressings there, and many pretty good soda (enough sugar bombs to last the afternoon). You, loving parents, have the power to talk, you have the rights to change. There are good websites about school lunches, about what can you do with the skool lunch ladies.
    6. I have no ideas about the budget cuts in PE classes. With my children, there are good programs after school--you know football, basketball, softball, baseball and other sports including the PE classes for hour. I forgot to mention the lunch hour--after lunch, you have activities outside in schoolyard.
    7. I was told that few kids in school don't know what is yogurt...I was amazed after my daughter told me. Don't ask me.
    8. Addiction to bad food, huh? I knew I do like my fried chicken from KFC. I am guilty as charged. Do you?
    9. The parents should do something about skool lunches since the bad food company used the marketing to seel to whatever department to include bad food to skool menu.
    10. I am aware about the labels. I started to get tired by many unpronouncable words or "unfingerspelling words" I do use sign language and don't like to fingerspell some long words. I am sure some of you know how to fingerspell....
    11. Only one way is to change the diet. Heading for fresh food and delicious real food. Got to find good slow-cooking chili--I mean, real one I made it from scratch, not from cans--for my lunch....Or heaping good salad on my plate to make me feel good about myself.:smile::heart:
  • jessad215
    jessad215 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    So, I think we can have two things simultaneously. It can be possible for a single individual to overcome obesity through choice, or for a single person's obesity to be a result of a series of choices. And yet, that doesn't change the fact that are deeply disturbing trends at a societal level that structure what choices are even available for some people to make. It doesn't mean people aren't responsible for their own health, but it does mean that there is big picture work to be done to change some of the structural ways that people are constrained.
    If personal responsibility works for you, great. But you can take responsibility for your own choices and still think it sucks that there are places in the developed world where it is incredibly difficult to access good food. Sure, those people do still have better and worse options. But traveling an extra few miles to the grocery store might require an hour or two on public transit that would mean sacrificing quality time with kids, or not getting more much-needed hours at work. And maybe a few individuals can make those choices consistently well, but goodness, we all know how hard it can be to lose weight, and many of us are not constrained by those structural factors (some of us are, I'm sure). It is hard to make good choices--the article basically just argues that we should work together to make it easier to make good choices.
    Also, sure, wealthy people are obese too. There are different factors that play into that, some structural as well. But in general, I'm less worried about people who have enough of their own resources to really make the most of their options. I think the headline frames the issue a little bit badly--obesity not being a choice doesn't mean it is inevitable. It just means that there is more going on than just personal choice--there are many many people who would choose not to be fat, if they could figure out how. And the article is pointing out all the ways that some people's choices are more complicated. It is an important perspective to be reminded of.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    ^ it is easy to make good choices. it's extremely easy to make good choices, whether or not people follow up on those choices is another matter.

no one ever promised that the right choice would be the easiest, but sometimes it takes sacrifices to ensure success. that's true for food choices as well as anything else. for instance, feel free to check my profile to see what city i live in. i live in the hood. in fact i live in between 2 halfway houses and we frequently find people smoking crack in the lobby. there are NO affordable immediate grocery stores near me but tons of fast food places and little corner stores with every flavor of pop and chip known to man. if i dont have a dinner waiting at home after i go to the gym then my choices are either something like popeyes or not to eat. but really all of that could be avoided if i spend an hour or 2 doing grocery shopping over the weekend and a couple more hours prepping and cooking for the week. yeah it sucks to have to spend one of my only days off work doing that when i probably have other errands to run, but it's a choice either i give up 4-5 hours of my saturday/sunday to prep for the week or mon-fri i'll be scrambling for dinner.

i think sometimes people assume that just because a better choice takes more planning that means that they dont have a choice to do it.we cant blame society (and anyway arent we all a part of society anyway?!) for not putting easier choices right in our laps.
  • mhannan13
    Options
    What I took from this article is less about weight being under our personal control and more about exercising compassion for people at all stages of battling their weight.
    I find it crazy how many people on this website, one designed specifically for weight management, to be so judgmental of others who are fighting the same battle as them. Just because you have figured out what works for you doesn't mean you should shame everyone who hasn't figured it out yet, or even more so, have tried what worked for you and failed.
    This article just made me (and I hope possibly some others) realize that everyone's journey is different and that people face incredible difficulties that I had previously not even considered.
    At the end of the day, with enough effort, is it possible to overcome anything and conquer your weight battle? Yes.
    Do some have it much, much, much harder than others? Absolutely.
    And I think that is something that is important to remember before we throw stones. You have not walked in anyone else's shoes. Offer support and guidance when requested but let's leave out the judgement. You can never go wrong offering compassion.