Too much protein

Options
Hi there, i dont have any issues staying under my allowable daily calorie allowance but i have noticed maybe once a week i am going over the allowable daily protein intake....i'm just wondering if thats a major issue - maybe if it was happening everyday but once a week surely wouldn't be to bad for the weight loss, would it ?.
I've been doing MFP for just over 4 weeks and i have now lost 4.5kgs so i'm stoked - going by this the extra protein doesnt seem to be hindering the progress of my weight loss.

Thanks, have a great night

Replies

• SandraMay1982
    Options
    Protein helps build muscle mass. don't fret. it's perfectly fine.
  • Irvin2005
    Options
    i always eat even more protein (extra) when i do strength training, and also more (extra) carbs when i plan to run more than one hour.
    As long as you keep the Calories within the numbers and exercise enough in strength and cardio.
  • MegJo
    MegJo Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    In my opinion the protein is set really low on MFP so your just fine :) Protein is good, keeps you full!
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    The recommended protein is 1g per kg of body weight. I have no idea what it is on here. For me that's 88g of protein. Having less is fine and having more is fine. Sorry 85g, I lost a few lbs.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    On MFP, it goes by a set percentage of your calorie intake. There is actually a range you should be in and it is more flexible then a set percentage. That's just harder for a computer programmer to set up so most programs like this use a set % and we're all suppose to know that it is okay to go slightly over or slightly under because we're still in range. The % range isn't always the best indicator, though, so I'd figure it by your weight and goals personally. The 1 gram per kilogram of body weight is a standard recommendation. Everyone needs 0.8 grams per kilogram of body weight, minimum. If you are doing endurance exercise, you can go up to 1.5 grams per kilogram of body weight. If you are doing heavy weight training, you can go up to 2 grams per kilogram to help with muscle growth and repair. That being said, you need to watch it closely if you have kidney issues as excess protein can harm already strained kidneys.