Bad body image...

Options
Have you ever looked in the mirror after taking the time to get ready. ..hair....for gals...makeup....dressed to the nines and thought..'damon I look good'. That it turn makes you feel good right? You go to the club, house party, dinner, birthday whatever the occasion and folks say you look great too! I mean you have lost some weight and things are really turning around for you. And then here comes the pictures, which are worth a thousand words right? When you looked in the mirror you thought...'wow this weight loss looks great on me...' and the pictures come...and the public posts on your family and friends Facebook pages. The never ending. ..'we had such a good time' moments. And then the pictures. ..you thought you looked slimmer..the dress you wore was more loose than the first time you wore it almost 5 months ago. And while your legs look slimmer why do you look larger overall???? I know I'm a big girl but damn how is it that I didn't realize how bad I had let myself go (weight wise) until now??? Do we ultimately turn on the denial button the minute we gain weight? Because damn...while I have no shortage of confidence in myself...damn...seeing those pictures makes me mad!

Replies

• uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Photos are an overweight persons nightmare, I know. I look through some of my old Facebook pictures and just laugh at how awful I looked. Stay vigilant with your logging and workouts and you won't have to worry about that anymore!
  • Jade0529
    Jade0529 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people do that, men and women. I never think I am as big as I am until you know the pictures or I try to squeeze by and oops! pardon my hips..lol

It's okay though. It took time to gain that weight and it is going to take time to drop it. In the meantime, remember how awesome you are right now.

Hugs
  • karenagiffin
    karenagiffin Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am sure you looked great, just the way you thought you looked. Bottom line, ignore the pictures and the evil scale for now. Stay on task and don't get discouraged. We are our own worst enemy. You have done great so far, keep it up! Don't let a picture bring you down. One day you will be ready to take pictures and be happy with what you see. Until then keep your eye on the prize, the day you will look at your picture and say "Damn I look good". P.S. I hate to see my pictures too! That's why I am on this site!
  • dawndovell
    dawndovell Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Last week my sweet, dear, lovely hubby "liked" an ooooooooold pic of me on fb to remind me how far I have come. And it was awesome/awful. I hate to be reminded of what I was, but the pics are still there for anyone to see. And I felt a wee bit amazing... Pictures are the best measure for sure. Love the progress, and be excited to see the comparison in a few months!
  • KapuaK
    KapuaK Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thank you...I'm trying to change my mind frame...because while I am super mad at those pics, it has helped really motivate me more. Sometimes we just never know how bad things are until it's really in your face and they've recorded it for life with a photo. You are right..in time I can look back and be reminded of how far I've come and celebrate all my little successes because they added up to one big weight loss success! :)

@Jade0529 - I've had those moments where someone needs to get by and I think I've given them plenty of room..and then...my *kitten* or better yet boobs get in the way... LOL sigh...God blessed me WAYYYY too much...dear God please make them go away! :)

@uconnwinsnc - thank you..I mean it...that means a lot. Looks like your small successes are adding up to one wonderful weight loss story! Keep up the amazing work!
  • pinkprincess3082
    pinkprincess3082 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I call it reverse body dysmorphia...I look great in the mirror. Then come the photos....
  • KapuaK
    Options
    @PINK .....SO TRUE..SO TRUE
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    *Raises Hand*

Been there.. even worse when you are at your goal weight and a pic catches you at a bad angle... oh my Gawd! WOAH did I eat a small child? How is it that you took the one picture of me that makes me look like I gained 20 lbs?!?! And you posted it on FB.. then tagged my big @ss?

Yeah pix can say a lot, but bad angles can make even fit/skinny/thin/average/big girls look different.

Keep pushing toward your goal.
  • chunkybun
    chunkybun Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Oh hell yes.

I had a friend tag a photo of me on FB with the caption, "this is my good friend, she's actually really gorgeous in person."

Yikes! What a blow to the ego. Just looking back at this makes me want to be that girl who looks good in person and in photos!
  • KapuaK
    Options
    @chunkybun I've had someone say that to me...the saddest part is that I was related to them...what the??? Sigh
  • Rowan09
    Rowan09 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    If someone tags me in a photo and I feel myself start to get upset I just remind myself that :
    this picture was meant to capture a happy time in my life, not how big or thin I am
    And then I close the website and try not to let myself think about it anymore