Stuck and frustrated

Options
I know there are a lot of people out there worse off than me but I am very frustrated. I stay within 1300-1600 calories a day weighing food, counting bites... I exercise 6+days a week and initially lost some weight and now the last 3-4 won't come off. I have a hard time exercising more or more intensely ( I do boot camp, high intensity intervals, weights, long runs...) and can't drop my calories any lower. I am supplementing a little - just not sure where to go.

Replies

• Neliel
    Neliel Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Choose sodium as a level of measurement on your food diary so you can monitor those levels.
    Also, make sure you log the water you drink. If you're not drinking lots of water every day then that can be one of the reasons you aren't losing any weight.
    I also try eating a bit more fibre and drinking herbal teas to help move my digestive system along.
  • rayfromtx
    Options
    How do you feel? How long have you been in this spot. If you feel great and your clothes are telling you that you are doing well, perhaps the issue is patience. I understand if that is it. I am so motivated by results that my weight loss pace was faster than would have been optimally healthy. Still, I got the weight off and now I'm building strength and leveling off on the weight loss. Just be reminded that this is a forever journey and not a destination.

Having said that........What I have used to get off a plateau is to go down about 500 calories from my normal for a couple days with careful attention to low carbs and sugars and sodium. It works for me. Good luck.
  • dtummel
    Options
    Choose sodium as a level of measurement on your food diary so you can monitor those levels.
    Also, make sure you log the water you drink. If you're not drinking lots of water every day then that can be one of the reasons you aren't losing any weight.
    I also try eating a bit more fibre and drinking herbal teas to help move my digestive system along.

where do you find the levels to measure? I'd like to add sugar and sodium
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    With that kind of activity the reason the weight isn't coming off is because you are nowhere near your BMR. 1600 calories is far too little when exercising at that intensity. I might be off but I don't think so, what are your numbers, weight/height/age because I'd be able to better figure out but sounds like you're not eating anywhere close to what you should be eating while exercising at that level. Also I'd be curious to hear more about your workouts, 6 days at that intensity seems like a lot, are you resting the previously used muscle groups from the day before?
  • kcfva122
    Options
    Go to Food>Settings and you can choose which nutrients to track. Good luck!
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Sometimes your body won't let you go any lower. I have been fighting the last 4-5 lbs for over a year. I workout hard 6 days a week and I eat clean and healthy 80-90% of the time. If I ate clean 100% of the time I may be able to cut that weight but can I live that way? That is the question. PIck a number 1600, 1500 ect and stick with that amount consitant for at least a month and see if that helps. Don't go in a range pick a caloric amount a day and stick straight to that. Hope this helps.

Tonya
    ISSA Certified Fitness Trainer
    Beachbody Coach
  • chacaruso
    chacaruso Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain (ready some of the chats on my profile!).
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    Alright I ran some numbers, guesstimated with your height and yeah 1600 is about correct for your activity level. I was a bit surprised by that. With all the exercise you're doing you seem to be in great shape. I don't understand why you'd even look at the scale.
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    ProTFitness, if that's you in the pic again I don't know why you'd even care what the scale says, you look to be in peak condition, is what the scale says really that important?

The two of you look great, forget what the scale says.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Try changing things up. We all plateau at some point if we keep eating the same amounts of the same foods and do the same exercises. You should switch it up every 6-8 weeks so your body doesn't get too used to anything. Try giving yourself a little break. Don't be so strict with your calories, exercise a little less. You should enjoy the break and after a week or two you can get back to your regular routine and you'll start seeing results again.
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    I've read that one of the best ways to break a plateau is eating a cheat meal or having a cheat day every now and then, go over on your caloric goal as you force your metabolism to take notice and adapt. Try going over your caloric intake for 2 days, doesn't have to be drastic, a few hundred calories or so just to shake things up a bit.
  • wtbyerdocmd
    Options
    Thanks to all for replies. I am 40 yo, 5'7", fairly musculature. I work in an ER and am up and down but probably am at the computer a fair amount (sitting) but otherwise active doing housework, chasing kids...when home. I have brought my calories up to 1800-2200 and actually gained weight so it is frustrating to find the balance.
  • wtbyerdocmd
    Options
    You look great and yes my body fat is on the low side but it seems that the last 5 are on my back side and just would love to get it off. I think you are right though I ate perfect 100% clean for 6 months, became obsessive and did lose it but it is almost impossible to be there all the time.