How do I not feel so sore for so long

Options
I am a big guy and I want to start running, walking, biking, hiking, etc. I love being outside and doing these things. My problem is because I am so big after one or two days of this, my legs hurt so bad. Obviously I realize that I should start slow and work my way up higher and higher, but in the process I would like some advice on any foods that I can eat to help this or any natural supplements/vitamins.

Replies

• alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are not getting a high enough protein intake which could lead to problems repairing. Even just from all of this you will still be tearing down the muscles in your leg and if you don't get enough protein they won't repair efficiently.

How much protein do you usually get in a day?
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    You say your "legs" hurt. Are we talking about muscle pain, joint pain, shin splint like pain?

I have no idea how much you weigh, but you definitely should be listening to your body. I wouldn't start running until you lose some weight and can walk/hikes for 3-5 miles without experiencing much pain or fatigue.
  • crazypenrod1508
    crazypenrod1508 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I am just referencing my past experience at this point. I am in the process of setting up my nutrition plan and exercise plan to start March 1st. I intend to keep my protein intake high. I am not sure exactly what it will be though.
  • crazypenrod1508
    Options
    Mostly muscle pain. I do have shin splints, but once I got a good pair of shoes I didn't have much problem. It feels like my legs are exhausted, almost like they don't get enough sleep(if that makes sense)

I weigh somewhere between 350-360. I have to go to the gym to use their scale because mine doesn't go that high.
  • craigheon
    craigheon Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I agree with the protein comment. And also, don't forget water intake. That's going to help flush the muscles of lactic acid. Your muscles will retain some of that water too to help in repair.
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Mostly muscle pain. I do have shin splints, but once I got a good pair of shoes I didn't have much problem. It feels like my legs are exhausted, almost like they don't get enough sleep(if that makes sense)

I weigh somewhere between 350-360. I have to go to the gym to use their scale because mine doesn't go that high.

Yeah better shoes can definitely help the shin splits.

For muscle pain, I might guess that it would be difficult for you to find a place where you could soak at least your legs in water with Epsom salts? That usually helps me a lot, or a hot shower.

Stretching/massage and light walking helps move the lactic acid that builds up causing the soreness, and as someone else has already mentioned, water helps flush it out faster.

Other than that, I would recommend not jumping into anything extreme, build yourself up to more and more exercise, gradually adding more depending on how sore you are the next day.

Over doing it could lead to injury and a major set back instead of an increase in weight loss and physical fitness. Take care of yourself =)
  • hilts1969
    hilts1969 Posts: 465 Member
    Options

At that weight no offence it is like you are running with another adult on your back, it will be hard for your legs to cope and the same for your joints, as you lose weight it will get better, i have a friend who weighs about 280 and he suffers from leg pain and he doesn't do anything more strenuous than walk a bit, on the positive side you will be working your legs pretty good, as you lose weight you will see the benefit of this
  • Rak0ribz
    Rak0ribz Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Potassium is supposed to help, and is also an excellent excuse to eat bananas.
  • alyhuggan
    Options
    Personally I think weight training could help in the pain aspect. I have found that I have exceptionally tight muscles when it comes to my legs, especially my hamstrings. Using a foam roller and stretching them properly generally makes them a hell of a lot looser meaning I can work them harder with less pain.

I always had major back pains before I started weight training, now except for the DOMS I barely get pains in my back due to the fact it has strengthened a lot since I started. Going on this it's possible weight training for your legs may help you out. But please please please do not skip upper body day. You don't want 26" quads with 14" arms and a 36" chest

Working on your legs, especially with exercises like squats and leg presses would not only build muscle in your legs and burn a hell of a lot of calories but it would greatly increase your strength in your legs which could help greatly with the activities you are wanting to partake in.

For your protein intake if you are struggling make sure to get plenty of lean meats and if necessary a protein supplement, the most commonly used is whey.

If you are doing a lot of exercise I'd recommend fish oils just to make sure. You don't destroy your joints. Do your research and make sure you get one with high EPA and DHA. These Omega-3 fatty acids will help keep your joints healthy!
  • crazypenrod1508
    Options
    Thank you alyhuggan. I plan to do that as well. I plan to do weight training as well. I love lifting weights. I plan to do a balanced workout to make sure that all my body is evenly strengthened.

I appreciate everyone's advice. It will be a long journey, but I will do it and I will succeed.
  • alyhuggan
    Options
    Thank you alyhuggan. I plan to do that as well. I plan to do weight training as well. I love lifting weights. I plan to do a balanced workout to make sure that all my body is evenly strengthened.

I appreciate everyone's advice. It will be a long journey, but I will do it and I will succeed.

No need to thank me! Good luck on your journey!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    At whatever weight I'm at, any time I start a new taxing exercise, I ache the first few times I do it.

Fairly quickly I get used to it.

Days doing enduro (motorbike) racing ALWAYS seemed to get me the day after. Don't know if I'll be any better these days when I'm regularly doing PROPER heavy weights.
    I don't tend to ache the way I did a year ago the day after similar longs runs. Odd as I weigh about the same as I did then - my squat is a LITTLE better, but not much (last summer and autumn was a blow-out as far as fitness and weight went.)
  • dtimedwards
    dtimedwards Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Drink water, lots and lots of water.

Eat bananas.

If it fits your daily calorie goal, drink chocolate milk.
  • dtimedwards
    dtimedwards Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    and another thing...

hiking: ditch the hiking boots. Get a pair of properly fitting trail running sneakers.
  • G123Girl
    Options
    TAKE GLUTAMINE POST WORKOUT. Trust me on this. I just started Insanity about a month ago and was dyyyying of soreness everyday...until I started taking Glutamine. Just a teaspoon in a cup a water right after your workouts and boom, no soreness. You can find it for pretty cheap. I bought mine at Whole Foods but you could just get some from Amazon or GNC or wherever.