Healthy Chip replacements!

Options
hiyomi
hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
Chips are my weakness, I usually eat them with any meal that's I make at home, sometimes a little, sometimes two servings. My question is if anyone knows of any healthier versions of chips, reasonably priced. Another thing, where I'm from there is no fancy healthy food places such as trader joes or whole foods, just walmart, HEB, SAMs club, and that's frankly about it lol
Anyone know of any chips, or just something crunchy, a little salty maybe to replace chips?

Replies

• the_green_midget
    the_green_midget Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I like the Special K Cracker Chips. They're pretty tasty and low-cal.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Love, love, love roasted seaweed!

Some HEB stores also carry freeze dried vegetables...I can't believe I forgot to stop at Sprouts while I was out today, as I haven't found any since leaving Texas :(

For more chip like options, we also really like multi grain pita chips on special occasions.
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Popcorn is the best I've done. Regular old popcorn. A little vegetable oil, popped on the stove and just a little salt. Not many calories and tastes great.

Not a chip though. Just have to save up some calories and have chips from time to time.
  • hilaria81
    hilaria81 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Pop Chips - or baked chips in general. I made my own wheat pita chips over the weekend with a bit of olive oil and garlic powder (baked at about 400 degrees for 10 minutes). They were very filling and good.
  • walleyclan1
    walleyclan1 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    Kale chips are yummy to me
  • wahlquil
    Options
    If you can find Beanitos where you live, they're great! Corn free, gluten free - and 4 g of protein per serving. Almost exactly like a corn chip in texture and taste.
  • You could go with the general replacements; carrot sticks,celery,seaweed, rice cakes. But from personal experience being an advanced snacker/chip connoisseur. Just try to cut down on chips start by eating the serving size, look at the nutritional facts when making meals, try and portion size you might get to eat more than you think for your alotted amount of daily cals. Hope this was helpful:)

-weightlosswinner2012-
  • HeidiSmith419
    HeidiSmith419 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm a chip addict! Always have been. I turn to pretzels at times but if I'm able to I make kale chips or sweet potato chips in the oven. Both are healthy since the amount if fat added using a mister is negligible and salt is your option. A lot of recipes say they don't store well but I found leaving them in a warm oven for an but longer will dry them out further without burning them.
  • 1LoveChips
    1LoveChips Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Agree with the popcorn suggestion, I do mine with coconut oil
  • marycwinters
    Options
    I make this recipe when I am craving something salty and crunchy: a head of broccoli chopped, tossed in a Ziploc freezer bag with a few cloves of chopped garlic and salt and pepper to taste, and one tbsp of olive oil. Shake up the bag, then bake for 30 mins at 350.
  • Skyler103
    Skyler103 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Try Veggie Straws. You can get a huge bag at Sam's. They taste like potato chips and serving size is "about 38 pieces" for 130 calories and 7g of fat. Of course, you have to measure to be sure the serving size is correct. I used to eat these like crazy, but ate so many I got tired of them. DO NOT eat several servings unless you want a bad tummy ache!
  • draco706
    draco706 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Somebody on this site sent me this treat and I love it. Not sure where it came from. I made 'em when I have family and friends over for the super bowl. They were a big hit. You can adjust the seasonings to your own taste. I don't add the garlic or cayenne pepper. I also sometimes drop the bread crumbs and cheese. They will stay good for days so feel free to make 'em and bag 'em for a salty snack during the work week.

Oven Baked Zucchini Chips

Yields: 4 servings | Calories: 99 | Total Fat: 3 g | Saturated Fat: 2 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Previous Points: 2 | Points Plus: 2 | Cholesterol: 13 | Carbohydrates: 12 g | Sodium: 241 mg | Dietary Fiber: 2 g | Sugars: 2 g | Protein: 6 g |

Ingredients

1 (large) zucchini, cut into 1/8" - 1/4" slices
    1/3 cup whole grain breadcrumbs, optional Panko (homemade breadcrumb recipe)
    1/4 cup finely grated parmesan cheese, reduced fat
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    Kosher or sea salt to taste
    1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    3 tablespoons low-fat milk

Directions

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Combine in a small mixing bowl, breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, black pepper, salt, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper. Dip zucchini slices into milk and dredge into bread crumbs to coat both sides. Note: It may be necessary to press crumbs onto zucchini slices to ensure the crumbs stick.

Arrange zucchini on a non-stick cookie sheet and lightly mist with a non-stick cooking spray.

If using a rack, place rack on a cookie sheet. Bake 15 minutes, turn over and continue baking until golden, approximately 10-15 minutes (being careful not to burn). Allow to cool to room temperature before storing in an airtight container.

NOTE: Zucchini Chips will continue to get crispier while cooling.

NOTE: For gluten free chips, use gluten-free bread crumbs.
  • jeridith
    jeridith Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I've made zucchini chips by just slicing them, then placing them in the dehydrator (or oven as in above posters recipe) until dry. Then once dry add salt, or cayenne pepper to them, and for real decadance try coating them in white vinegar before drying, then add salt when dry. Yum!! And no more calories than a regular zucchini!
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I started eating sunflower seeds to replace chips. I buy them in the shell so it takes a while to eat them. I find it hard to finish 1 serving.
  • feelin_gr_8
    feelin_gr_8 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    If I buy chips, the bag is gone in 12 seconds. Hence why I don't buy chips. But sometimes I do have a salty/crunchy craving. Pickles are calorie free and might fit the bill :)
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    I like the Special K Cracker Chips. They're pretty tasty and low-cal.

those are delicious. I pair my sandwiches with pre portioned pretzels instead of chips most of the time
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I like cucumber slices with a little salt. Salty, round and crunchy but also cool and refreshing.
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I think I'll try the baking thing, and just add some salt like some recommended. Probably a bit cheaper and healthier! :D the zucchini chips sound really good, plus I love zucchini as is!