Working out too hard?

Options
This is a slight continuation of my previous post, but it's a new question so i just copied and pasted a small pharagraph from one of my replies in a thread I started:
Getting sick seriously happens to my everytime I start working out again, gym or not. And sadly, I don't see a lot of results unless I'm pushing it. I don't FEEL like I overdo it, because I make sure I can still breath/walk/function afterwards. I always make sure to get something healthy in me after I work out, including protine. How can you tell if you workout too hard?

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    If you are not sore and do not feel exhausted, you are fine
  • manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Do you have a HRM? If so what does your HR get up to?

can you explain what you meant by 'Getting sick seriously happens to my everytime I start working out again'? As in you get a cold, or you vomit?

How often do you exercise, and what do you do? What do you do for work?
  • fragilegift
    fragilegift Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    If your body says you are over doing things in the form of getting sick, I'd say listen to it and back off a bit.
  • SwitzEngine
    SwitzEngine Posts: 3,418 Member
    Options
    As the manda1978 said, wear a HRM during your workouts. Like this you are in control over you body. In the beginning it's likely that you go over your max HR. This is a sign to slow down. Try to be always in the fat burning zone, about 70% from your max HE. The more you workout the less HR you have.

max HR 220 - age

fat burning HR = max HR * 70 / 100

Good luck
  • bonoeuf
    bonoeuf Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Always working in the so called fat burning zone will do little for fitness, you need to mix it up. Don't eat at least an hour before training. If you are physically sick when you exercise, go see your doctor.

http://www.coachcalorie.com/the-fat-burning-zone-myth/ and lots of other examples if you look at the science.
  • timrpm
    timrpm Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    +1 for reading about HR zones.

Do a decent proportion of exercise at moderate effort, some weights work, some intervals, maybe some hill work.

Vomiting after working out is NOT a good sign and if it always happens see a doctor or try running with some similarly fit friends so you are running and talking. You'll enjoy it and you shouldn't be vomiting at the end!
  • RaggedyAnnazon
    RaggedyAnnazon Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I should have clarified, I did mean getitng colds or flus, not vomiting. I know about to vomit is overkill and will stop and immediately get food/water/cold air in my as soon as possible. In fact, I've never worked out so hard I've felt like vomiting.

My HR is usually up in about 135, I was having it go up to 150, but that seems to wear me out right quick.

Im just confused because when I'm done working out I get very little DOMS the next day, like, its as if I never worked out. But I catch cold easily.
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I normally catch cold when I keep switching between hot and cold temperatures. Like in winter, warm house/office/car to going to the cold outside when getting to and from the warm places.

Similarly, you get hot when you exercise, maybe you aren't keeping warm with a jacket while you recover and your sweat makes you cold.
  • RaggedyAnnazon
    RaggedyAnnazon Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Mistraal, this could be true, because usually after a workout I'll go out without a jacket because it feels so good! I'll try this next week when I go to the gym, thank you!
  • Katielou112
    Katielou112 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Are you eating a decent meal a couple of hours BEFORE you work out? I always make sure I have something like a cereal bar about an hr before I workout and I work a small amount of carbs into my lunch the days I go to the gym, otherwise I feel sick and faint.