Should I leave out cardio altogether?

Options

Replies

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, I am trying to build more lean muscle while losing some body fat. I am wanting to get down to about 16 to 18% body fat (I am between 19 to 22% at the moment). Ive been concentrating on intense strength training an hour at least 5 times a week. Lately I have been trying to incorporate some cardio such as HIIT and interval training but I have heard that I should avoid cardio if i am trying to increase lean muscle?
    Does anyone have any ideas? Anyone with similar goals?

If you like cardio you can always do some light stuff on your rest days.
  • bluetuesday5
    bluetuesday5 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Unless you are in your first 3 months of weight training, pick a goal, one or the other. Not to say it is impossible to do both, but it certainly isn't the most efficient way. Also don't go low carb if you decide you want to gain.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, I am trying to build more lean muscle while losing some body fat. I am wanting to get down to about 16 to 18% body fat (I am between 19 to 22% at the moment). Ive been concentrating on intense strength training an hour at least 5 times a week. Lately I have been trying to incorporate some cardio such as HIIT and interval training but I have heard that I should avoid cardio if i am trying to increase lean muscle?
    Does anyone have any ideas? Anyone with similar goals?

You are looking to increase lean mass whilst losing body fat. Generally if you are eating a calorie deficit this cannot be done (only in exceptional circumstances). However by resistance training you can increase your lean mass percentage (i.e maintain lean mass and loss body fat).

Is your goal to look bigger - if so you need to train eating more calories. Or for your muscles to look toned - keep doing what you're doing (make sure you've got enough protein in your diet and you're giving yourself enough recovery period between lifting).

Good luck
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Whenever someone advises another person to attempt to gain mass without carbs, I roll my eyes and point them to this Alan Aragon quote...
    Protein is the bricks. Carbs are the brick layers. Fat is the cement. Micronutrients (vitamins, minerals, etc) are the weatherproofing.

Low-carb diets are not ideal for mass-building by any stretch of the imagination. You can do it without, but why would you want to if it's not optimal?

OP: Good pros and cons here - http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/cardio-and-mass-gains.html

16% BF is low, by the way. Unsustainably low for most women, I'd say. 20% or thereabouts is a great percentage. You're already very lean if your pic is current.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    You want to exercise your cardiovascular system for health reason. However, you can get good results with sorter amounts of HIIT as you mentioned. If you are doing more HIIT strength training, which keeps your cardio up anyway, you don't need much or any more.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    And don't drop carbs. Just adjust the balance of carbs, fats, and protein.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    HIIT is awesome.. don't cut out cardio or carbs.
  • wyndielund
    Options
    I run a mile for sprints and then lift. I am lifting 5-6 days a week. I haven't cut out carbs completely but I have cut a lot of the processed carbs. You need some cardio just to get your heart healthy and to push blood through the muscles to warm them up. Everything is going to be based on how your body reacts to the workouts. My body needs the cardio to build the lean muscle and then the weights to maintain.
  • Apinget
    Apinget Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Lots of low carb phobia on this board but, to each their own.

As for OP it depends on your body and how your body holds on to fat and muscle. I am a naturally curvy woman who is able to gain and retain muscle relatively easily, but also able to gain body fat like no one's business (don't you have that?). From experience I've learned that other than heart health benefits cardio does little to help me reach my fitness goals.

I lift 5 days a week on a low carb diet and am looking and feeling better than I ever have in my whole life! I will adjust my rest days to how my body is feeling and try to walk or other light cardio on those days to keep myself moving. After a lifting session I'll squeeze in 10-15 minutes on the stair master and I walk my dogs 3-5 days a week. Other than my stair master and walks I do almost no other cardio unless I decide to enjoy a bike ride or some indoor rock climbing. I have been interested in HIIT myself but don't know enough about it to give advice, although I feel like dynamic movements would overall work well in your overall cardiovascular health so they might not be a bad idea.

I used to be a cardio bunny, always on the treadmill or elliptical lifting maybe 2-3 days a week and restricting myself on a low fat, high carb diet. I got pre-diabetes, was depressed, felt foggy and tired and was struggling with my weight. Ultimately I just don't enjoy cardio like I enjoy lifting so it was a challenge to go to the gym, I dreaded it and wasn't getting results to make all the drudgery feel worth it.

I'm now eating a high fat, low carb ketogenic diet after performing independent extensive research from recent peer reviewed studies. I'd be interested to see the evidence and research supporting a low fat, high carb diet that's not being pushed by the FDA, American Heart Association or food and drug companies that are benefiting from keeping the status quo. Through my diet not only have my health problems (including diabetes) gone away but my lifting friends admire how cut I look, all gains no losses. Do I think the keto diet works/ is practical for everyone? No, but do I think it's a legitimate school of thought for eating and am always shocked at how vehemently people resist and demonize my diet. Everyone's body is different, mine happens to run efficiently, thrive, and gain muscle on a high fat, moderate protein, and low carb diet, if the OP decides to give it a try more power to her!

Good luck finding a solution to your problem but I feel like you're already at a very desirable and attractive body fat percentage and look~
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    No, you should do some type of conditioning. I dunno why you're lifting 5+days a week on a deficit.

I have to agree with this. It sounds a little excessive. :/

lifting five days week is excessive??? Care to clarify why that is?

I lift five days a week with minimal cardio …

My initial reaction is that having only two rest days per week from heavy lifting seems a bit minimal for muscle recovery, let alone adding cardio on top of that.

However, I am open to hearing other perspectives on the subject that differ from mine. I am still new to lifting so perhaps I am wrong. I don't have an issue with being corrected with respect and learning from others.

I lift five days with Saturday being 100% rest day and wednesday I do HIIT (10 minutes) and ab work (30 minutes)….
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

what does low carb phobia have to do with OP's original post about cardio?
  • Dedshot
    Dedshot Posts: 145
    Options
    We have the same question basically! I strength train about 6 days a week, alternating arms and lower body (legs, glutes, I also do abs on those days). Lately I've been doing 30 minutes of cardio a day while also eating at a deficit but lately I haven't had the energy. So I'm trying to eat more, especially more protein and now I only am doing about 50-minute Zumba sessions twice a week. They're intense, too. But I have the same goals, to burn fat and gain muscle. Though I'd be satisfied with a bf% a little bit higher than 16 or 18%. I'm around 24% now I think. I'll try to remember the advice from this thread.
  • lorigem
    lorigem Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    No, you should do some type of conditioning. I dunno why you're lifting 5+days a week on a deficit.

I have to agree with this. It sounds a little excessive. :/

lifting five days week is excessive??? Care to clarify why that is?

I lift five days a week with minimal cardio …

My initial reaction is that having only two rest days per week from heavy lifting seems a bit minimal for muscle recovery, let alone adding cardio on top of that.

However, I am open to hearing other perspectives on the subject that differ from mine. I am still new to lifting so perhaps I am wrong. I don't have an issue with being corrected with respect and learning from others.

Compound lifts 5x per week is excessive. Isolated lifting can be done 5-6 days if you're working different muscles, different days.
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options
    Disagree on the 5x lifting per week... it works for some people, for most it doesn't. Do what works for YOU. Only YOU will know what works for YOU. I used to lift 6x per week, no problem for several months until work picked up.
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options
    We have the same question basically! I strength train about 6 days a week, alternating arms and lower body (legs, glutes, I also do abs on those days). Lately I've been doing 30 minutes of cardio a day while also eating at a deficit but lately I haven't had the energy. So I'm trying to eat more, especially more protein and now I only am doing about 50-minute Zumba sessions twice a week. They're intense, too. But I have the same goals, to burn fat and gain muscle. Though I'd be satisfied with a bf% a little bit higher than 16 or 18%. I'm around 24% now I think. I'll try to remember the advice from this thread.

Definitely eat more and you will have the energy to keep it up :-)
  • Apinget
    Apinget Posts: 41 Member
    Options

Because others have mentioned the possibility of OP cutting carbs in addition to the original cardio question and have been met with tons of opposition?
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options

Because others have mentioned the possibility of OP cutting carbs in addition to the original cardio question and have been met with tons of opposition?

As it should... low carb craze is garbage.
  • 4Healthyliving
    4Healthyliving Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    If you are looking to build muscle lifting weight is the best. However understand that any exercise you do that will raise your heart rate and cause you to sweat is cardio. For example, yoga especially a vinyasa or Birkram will definitely raise your heart rate.
    Sharon
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Right, but that only got brought up when someone stated as a fact that the OP needed to cut carbs to get to her goal. That is completely false so of course people are going to make that clear so the OP knows.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice, but also lots of fail.

I wouldn't leave out cardio and certainly not stop eating or cutting down on carbs. Although it can work for some, I'm not much of a fan of lifting more than 4x a week.