Are calorie goals accurate, or am I "doin' it wrong"?

Options
Hi,

Going on my second week of MFP, and have been really trying to stay under/at my calorie goal. Now, my MFP calculated goal was 1690 cal/day, to which I added 500 cals to account for exclusively breastfeeding my 3 month old girl, so I'm at 2190. However, every day I start feeling bad... jittery, irritable, confused, and I get dizzy/vertigo sometimes. The occasional hunger pangs I can deal with, but when I can't stand feeling "freaked out" and jittery anymore I have to eat something sweet or otherwise junky in order to feel better. This happens about everyday.

I've also been over limit most days (especially my I-can't-stand-it-anymore food binge this past sunday...), but I've lost over 3lbs so far. I doubt It's water weight cause I've been drinking lots - a big change for me since I'm used to drinking almost exclusively soda, juice, and occasionally milk. This is why I ask the more experienced peoples on here: is MFP's calorie limit reliable? How much does it vary from person to person for a given weight/height/lifestyle? Or is feeling bad normal, and I mean bad beyond just hunger pangs? I've heard some things about a "detox" phase or something or other. Or am I doing something wrong? I know I'm used to making some Very Bad food decisions, and never really dieted or calorie counted before, so this is all new to me.

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I don't know what "Java Monster - Mean Bean" is but it seems like a whole load of empty carbs to start the day. The eggs are a better idea.

I'm extrapolating from the ticker that you're over 200 lbs looking to lose weight. You could use the breast feeding as your deficit and just eat for maintenance - let's say 1800 calories for starters. If you don't lose weight after 2 weeks you may need to revise it.

Have you had your blood sugar checked, you might have reactive hypoglycaemia or something. Best to minimise the blood sugar swings by avoiding high carbs without fats and proteins. If you don't eat enough salt / potassium you can have low blood pressure too.

Any calorie use estimates are at best +/- 10%, but to be honest your actual diet is a bigger issue than the numbers.
  • trellia13
    Options
    I assumed my diet isn't good, but I'm gradually incorporating better foods as I weed out bad ones. I've noticed too just how much I eat for comfort... several times a day I stop myself from reaching for a snack just because I'm bored/stressed/upset/whatever. I'm honestly ashamed of much of what goes in my food diary, but I make it a point to log EVERYTHING no matter how embarrassing... if not then what's the point, right?

I just can't seem to find a healthy substitute for junk food that keeps my panicky-ness at bay. Healthier options like oatmeal or a boiled egg only buy me an hour at best. I feel like an addict or something and it's embarrassing...

As for my blood sugar, they did routine tests for that a few months ago while I was just recently pregnant and my levels were ok.

And the Java Monster is a coffee-flavored energy drink.
  • strawberry1986
    strawberry1986 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Firstly don't be too hard on yourself! :-)

I have a 2 kids who are 5 years and 16 months so I know what your going through. The exclusive breastfeeding, sleepless nights, worrying about your baby and generally just looking after another person 24/7 is very stressful and knackers you out. I have literally only in the last month or 2 got back into healthy eating and regular exercise so I take my hat off to you as your little one is 3 months.

I would say you need to eat a lot more whole foods and fresh fruit and veg, also watch your caffeine intake. When you say you started getting the shakes it's probably the come down from your sugar high. I know how hard it is but try to reach for a piece of fruit or veg, it will give you the chance to make some proper food and in turn regulate your blood sugars better.

Make sure your drinking a lot of water for yourself and to make your milk.

Hope this helps a bit, if only for a bit of moral support that they are so many women in the same boat!
  • lamps1303
    lamps1303 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Having looked at your diary (just from yesterday) you seem to be getting a lot of calories from your drinks (540kcals yesterday). While they may taste good, they have no nutritional value and are effectively empty calories. Rather than drinking Mountain Dew, perhaps try squash/cordial, or good old water. So important when you're trying to lose weight that you make use of every calorie you can by eating good, wholesome, nutritious food. All soda (or fizzy drinks to us Brits) boost your sugar levels, only for them to soon plummit, making you tired and crave more sugar/junk.

I have so much respect for what you're doing, all whilst having a young baby. Good luck
  • charliehefferon
    charliehefferon Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Do you mind sharing your current weight and height?

From looking at your diary, you are eating far too much un-natural sugar. That teamed with the amount of carbs you are eating will result in the jittery feeling you are describing.

Try to opt for more high protein foods, lean meat & natural greek yogurt for example. These will keep you fuller for longer.

You are at the start of a long road and you have realised that you want to lose weight and get healthier :smile: You have to start making better choices of food (and certainly cut out the sugary drinks and snacks!!)

There is plenty of posts on here with healthy alternatives, keep at it and you will see results!!
  • kaph2005
    Options
    Try eating more natural whole foods. Losing weight is sometimes as simple as calories in, calories out, but sometimes you need to give it a boost. Cut out the unneeded sugar (the soda and processed breakfast bars) and drink tea and high protein snacks instead.
  • maggie_fly
    maggie_fly Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi. I get like that - jittery and anxious - when I have too much caffeine. Those Java monster drinks are loaded with caffeine 188mg in one can. Maybe that could be it?
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Did your doctor say its okay to be on a "diet" while breast feeding?

Personally i've seen better fat loss results with women breast feeding at maintenance and lifting weights.
    Why?
    Hormones are high and the stimulation of lifting weights signals the body to lose the fat naturally.
    Cutting calories at this crucial time for your baby could compromise it's growth.

PM me and i'll shoot you a simple program you can do 3x a week as well as nutritional goals.

Hugs and good luck!
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    First off, I'm sending a big virtual hug your way. You are brave for posting and sharing!

As a recovering emotional eater, I know all too well what you are talking about. For me, daily exercise really helps. Can you take your baby for a walk a few times a day just to get out and moving?

Also, if you are having issues with anxiety you should cut out all caffeine products. Certainly you should STOP drinking energy drinks! They will contribute to feelings of anxiousness. Try to find one special drink you can enjoy once a day that isn't too high in calories and has no caffeine. I drink all different types of herbal tea (love Berry Zinger and Pomegranate Pizzazz), and switched my one decaf coffee from cream and sugar to milk and 2 sugars. Cr

There is nothing wrong with not wanting to feel stressed, bored, lonely, unfulfilled, etc. That's pretty normal to want to avoid those negative emotions. So first off, realize that what you are attempting to do with food has a basis in wanting to feel better. That is good and nothing to be ashamed about. The thing that is important to realize is that food actually doesn't meet your emotional needs. It masks them. It won't do what you want it to do long term.

Many emotional eaters assume that if they don't overeat that they will be anxious, sad, feel empty, bored, etc. Thinking about giving up the security of overeating can feel scary but that is because people assume food is the only thing that can alleviate those feelings but that's just not true. Exercise, reading a great book, taking a bath, talking with friends, playing with your baby, taking up a hobby, meditating, etc. can all alleviate bad feelings BETTER than food.

You want to feel less anxious, stressed, sad, bored, etc. and you want to get to a healthy weight. Those two goals are not opposed but actually complimentary. Modeling healthy eating and more effective coping skills for your child is a gift you can start to work on now. You have taken the first step by coming here. Bravo for you! You may stumble along the way but nobody does this perfectly. This is a journey to learn about what works for you, so give yourself time to make mistakes and correct them. And you don't ever need to starve yourself while doing it.
  • Polda2010
    Polda2010 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I agree with all others. Of course with you being on a breast feeding phase it's a natural thing for you to crave sugars, however, get those sugars from complex carbs such as fruits, whole grains etc. You'll realize that you'll feel better along the run and get all those good minerals and vitamins that your body really needs. Good luck :-)
  • lemur_lady
    lemur_lady Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    You could try upping your calories by 100 a day and see if that helps? Breastfeeding, ive heard, can burn up to 800 cals a day depending on how much milk your baby is taking and I guess how fatty it is.

I waited until my daughter was a year old to start cutting calories to ensure dieting didnt affect her milk supply. I was a bit paranoid about drying up. She is 20 months now but I still give myself an extra 100 cals a day to make up for what she is taking.

Dont forget growth spurts are common around this age and they will need to feed more to help bump your supply up. If you are a calorie deficit it may be harder for you to make more milk to meet demand. Be careful x
  • lemur_lady
    lemur_lady Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I would also suggest not drinking energy drinks while breastfeeding. You dont know how much of that is passing on through your milk.
  • abradeen2013
    abradeen2013 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Try tea or water with lemon slices instead of the Mountain Dew. Also, looking at your snack choices, the Pop Tarts are full of sugar, empty calories and processed stuff that is not that great for you. Try some fruit - strawberries, grapes and oranges for example. If you are really craving some starch try some whole wheat toast or a whole wheat toaster waffle with a little peanut butter on it. You'l find it more filling than the Pop Tarts. The rest of your food choices looked pretty decent. If you take away the calories just from the Pop Tarts and Mountain Dew you would save 900 calories! You might want to try a month of Weight Watchers. They are excellent at helping educate you about healthy food choices. Counting calories is not enough if you aren't sure what you are supposed to be eating. I lost 40 lbs with them in the past, but they are not available in my current location. They were super helpful in teaching me about making better food choices. It makes using MFP much easier in my opinion. You could also ask your doc if there are any nutrition classes available for nursing mothers. You may be able to find some free classes that way (or at least covered by insurance). Best of luck to you!
  • angel5561
    angel5561 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I have panic and anxiety what your describing sounds like an anxiety attack or just anxiety in general you are drinking an enormous amount of caffeine I would cut out the energy drinks and sodas completely.
  • Sporin71
    Sporin71 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I know that jittery, sicky hunger feeling, and for me, it was always the result of too many sugars and carbs.

When I started this diet a month ago there was a short time when I had to tough it through a little of that but you will find that once you cut out the energy drinks and processed junk, and replace it with real food, that your hunger pangs will be far more manageable. What you are feeling now is blood sugar related and you aren't fixing it with the food and beverages you are putting in your body. Those energy drinks are honestly just horrible for your body.

So the short answer is, cut out all that junk, replace it with real, unprocessed food. Your body will thank you and when you have your blood sugar levels even, hungry will just be hungry, not the jittery-sicklys.

Good luck and much love for trying to do this while breastfeeding, I know every parent (man or woman) knows what a struggle that is.
  • abradeen2013
    abradeen2013 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Also an excellent resource for keeping blood sugar stable to avoid the crashes and jittery feelings (I have definitely struggled with that in the past) is something called the Insulin Resistance Diet. You can google it. I found a copy of the book on Amazon for a few bucks. I just read back through this thread and saw where you said that you are an emotional eater - please go see your doctor. Maybe you are struggling with post partum depression -I had that after my daughter was born and it made life really hard. After I got treated for it everything else in life suddenly felt much more manageable - including feeling out of control with my food choices. Best of luck to you!
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I assumed my diet isn't good, but I'm gradually incorporating better foods as I weed out bad ones. I've noticed too just how much I eat for comfort... several times a day I stop myself from reaching for a snack just because I'm bored/stressed/upset/whatever. I'm honestly ashamed of much of what goes in my food diary, but I make it a point to log EVERYTHING no matter how embarrassing... if not then what's the point, right?

I just can't seem to find a healthy substitute for junk food that keeps my panicky-ness at bay. Healthier options like oatmeal or a boiled egg only buy me an hour at best. I feel like an addict or something and it's embarrassing...

As for my blood sugar, they did routine tests for that a few months ago while I was just recently pregnant and my levels were ok.

And the Java Monster is a coffee-flavored energy drink.

You're on the right lines! You're logging it all! You're battling habits and cravings - it's only been two weeks, so don' t despair! This isn't easy but it is possible!

Maybe, try just making smaller changes - aim for having half the snacks you used to, then aim to eliminate certain ones - you've spent your life developing these eating habits, it's going to take time and effort to turn them around, but you can do it! But maybe going cold turkey is too much, trying to completely restructure your eating habits overnight is a big ask! And then when you can't manage the whole day, it feels like a failure. It's not! It's effort! Plenty of people on here have inched their way out of it, one bar of chocolate at a time!
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    It is very early days - remember you are weaning yourself off high calorie, low nutrional foods and that may make you a bit jittery. I got like that during my first couple of weeks and decided to split my meals into 5 per day to spread my eating. Dilute fruit juices (very dilute) helped me too. I am now adjusting and feel better. As everyone else has said - you need to kill the soda drinks and use your calorie allowance more effectively. Your protein and fats are low - seems to me that they are impt for a breastfeeding
    Mum.

Congratulations on your baby girl by the way - enjoy her - they grow up all too quick. One day you will miss having them crying at night/crawling into your bed and generally being demanding. By the time they're teenagers they find other ways of having you awake all night - usually worrying about them. They are always a delight though and will bring much joy!

:flowerforyou:
  • trellia13
    Options
    Thanks so much for all your replies! I feel like I'm on the right track now - just gotta keep cutting out sugars, and keep searching for "high mileage" foods. I've been experimenting with things, like how to flavor oatmeal so it's edible, making sandwich wraps for lunch, and I've tried stevia in some things, but it still tastes too much like artificial sweeteners do (blech). My goal is to find healthy stuff that I actually LIKE, or else my diet will not be "sustainable", because I know myself.

Trial and error I guess, and thanks for all you're encouragement, I'll try not to be so hard on myself. I suppose I'm not eating any *worse* than usual, by any means.

For whoever asked, I'm 5'7" and started at 220 lbs. I stay at home with my 3 month old and almost-3-year-old, and I don't get much exercise aside from light housework, and the occasional romp on the treadmill.
  • rutheglen
    rutheglen Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Well done - you are on the right track ! You know what your traps are, so the trick is to work round them..the idea of smaller meals more often, is pretty good - for me, I keep a bag of carrots, washed and ready, in the fridge - if I feel hungry, I munch on one...another one, perhaps more for the summer? is frozen grapes - it's almost like having a bonbon, but healthy ;) Anyway, the one bit of advice, that I read on a cooking blog, of all things (nothing to do with slimming at all!), was something like : It all has calories - if it's going into my body, I want it to be the 'best tasting, healthiest, preferably made by me calories', not the' fastest, just about edible, and lord knows what else it has in it type calories'! Not easy, with a new baby (congrats by the way :) ), but if you are cooking - cook extra and freeze it, and have healthy snacks at hand, for those dizzy spells. Most of all, don't beat yourself up for going over your goal - it's a goal, that's all - aim for it, but if you overshoot, the world won't end! Find something else to do, instead of snacking - take baby out for a long walk, or dance around the house with baby...take a banana or an apple or something with you, so if you get dizzy, you can up your sugar levels. (plus, if you are away from the 'naughty' food, you can't be tempted to give in) Good luck luvvie - plenty of support on here, if you're feeling low xx