pain in the *kitten*...literally

Options
Hi all,

I cycle and/or run 5 days a week. This past few weeks after long runs I have had a pain in my right glute, its gotton persistently worse to the point were this morning I was sitting in a meeting and had to keep shifting in my chair cos my *kitten* was so sore. I ran last night had to walk the last couple of miles because the pain was getting worse and spreading down my leg and its still there this morning!

Any tips/ support? I have booked an appointment with a physio but thats not till next mon I don't want to rest until then. Whenever I have had trouble with my back I walked alot and found that helped realign it.

regards,

Valentine

Replies

• rayfu75
    rayfu75 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Sounds like sciatica pain which is a pain in the *kitten*...literally.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Foam rolling, stretching, and lacrosse ball? ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9Ix8OIPF-U )

I'd probably just wait though.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    It might be a good idea to take a short break from running if that's what you are finding aggravates it. Also, like toddis mentioned, foam rolling and doing some glute focused stretches might help as well.

Good luck!
  • Abi198111
    Abi198111 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Sounds like sciatica pain which is a pain in the *kitten*...literally.

This. I've had sciatica and it's horrid. You have my sympathies :sad:
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    You have Piriformis Syndrom. I have it. What happened is that you strained the Piriformis muscle which then puts pressure on the sciatica nerve causing the pain in the butt and then shooting down the leg. I have gone to PT in the past, which has helped a lot. When it comes back, I will ice the area, stretch and roll on a tennis ball. The tennis ball part, you should Google it to understand what I am talking about. It will help, but if you don't rest, it won't go away. Also, you should build up your core, if you don't already. I find that the stronger my core is, the less likely I am to have pain below the belt.

I would Google it and read up on what you can do to minimize and maybe get rid of it.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    You have Piriformis Syndrom. I have it. What happened is that you strained the Piriformis muscle which then puts pressure on the sciatica nerve causing the pain in the butt and then shooting down the leg. I have gone to PT in the past, which has helped a lot. When it comes back, I will ice the area, stretch and roll on a tennis ball. The tennis ball part, you should Google it to understand what I am talking about. It will help, but if you don't rest, it won't go away. Also, you should build up your core, if you don't already. I find that the stronger my core is, the less likely I am to have pain below the belt.

I would Google it and read up on what you can do to minimize and maybe get rid of it.

I agree that this is what it sounds like it could be. The muscle in question is fairly deep, so you need to get in there to massage it. A lacrosse ball will work even better than a tennis ball if you have one at your disposal.
  • valentine4
    valentine4 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Thanks all,

I will google it this evening and get busy with a ball :)

After 4 c-sections my core is not great so will def work on it.

thanks again for the replies!

regards,

Valentine
  • amwoidyla
    amwoidyla Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    It also could be your SI joint, which can be confused for sciatica. That was the case for me anyway. I foam roll, do my prescribed stretches, and go to my chiropractor when it's especially bad. Strength training helps too, especially focusing on strengthening my posterior chain.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I cycle and/or run 5 days a week. This past few weeks after long runs I have had a pain in my right glute, its gotton persistently worse to the point were this morning I was sitting in a meeting and had to keep shifting in my chair cos my *kitten* was so sore. I ran last night had to walk the last couple of miles because the pain was getting worse and spreading down my leg and its still there this morning!

Any tips/ support? I have booked an appointment with a physio but thats not till next mon I don't want to rest until then. Whenever I have had trouble with my back I walked alot and found that helped realign it.

regards,

Valentine

If something (such as a disc) is slightly protruding, it will touch the sciatic nerve, hence the pain. A cold compress or freeze spray on the area can relieve it. If I feel my disc starting to "play-up" at any time which it did do a few weeks back, I immediately spray a freeze-spray on it which shrinks it back into place.

I hope you get it sorted.
  • jobegone
    Options
    My initial thought when I read your post was piriformis syndrome too.
    I had this and my left glute ached - but with pain where you are describing it can be a number of issues (most have been mentioned) so its best to probably lay of the running until you get to the physio and possibly start doing some glute bridges, lower back, glute stretches etc. If it is your glutes the pidgeon pose is a great stretch.