PHD Woman...any good?!

Options
Hi all,

So I have started having a PHD Woman protein shake for breakfast (http://www.phd-woman.co.uk/products/weight-control/1010/meal-replacement-shake---vanilla-crème)....it's a meal replacement and i mix it with unsweetened almond milk. I'm just a bit wary as I've heard protein shakes (especially that contain soy) can mess with women's hormones...is that right?! Here is the ingredient list:

Ingredients

Protein Blend (Milk Protein Isolate, Soya Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Concentrate*, Emulsifier: Soya Lecithin), Maltodextrin, Maize Starch, Flavourings, Vitamin & Mineral Blend (Dipotassium Phosphate, Dextrose Monohydrate, Magnesium Oxide, Ascorbic Acid, Iron Pyrophosphate, Vitamin E-Acetate, Niacinamide, Biotin, Vitamin A-Acetate, Calcium-D-Pantothenate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Gluconate, Manganese Sulphate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Cholecalciferol, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Vitamin B12, Vitamin K1, Potassium Iodide, Chromium Chloride, Sodium Selenite), Micro-encapsulated Conjugated Linoleic Acid (SafflowerBOil, GlucoseASyrup, Sodium Caseinate*), Whole Milk Powder, Thickeners (Carrageenan, Xanthan Gum), Sunflower Oil, Green Tea Extract, Salt, L-Carnitine, Sweetener (Sucralose), Antioxidant (Mixed Tocopherols). *From Milk
Allergy advice

Contains: Soya & Milk. May contain: Eggs, Gluten, Peanuts & Nuts. This product is suitable for vegetarians.

Would I be best to stay away from supplements completely?! Thanks in advance xxx

Replies

• SarahMZxx
    SarahMZxx Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    No
  • SarahMZxx
    Options
    No

Why?!
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    No - because it's pricey.
    No - because nobody needs a meal replacement.
    No - there's no evidence or reason to believe it will mess with your hormones.
    No - there's no need to avoid supplements all together.
    No - that's not a meal plan, that's a brochure.
    No - Google bic pens for her amazon - and read the reviews.
  • SarahMZxx
    Options
    No - because it's pricey.
    No - there's no evidence or reason to believe it will mess with your hormones.
    No - there's no need to avoid supplements all together.
    No - that's not a meal plan, that's a brochure.
    No - Google bic pens for her amazon - and read the reviews.

It's not that pricey really. I find meal replacements help me stay on track that's all.
  • smitaosunsade
    smitaosunsade Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    hey Sarah
    meal replacements are all fair and good BUT that cant be all you are consuming, you need some freah food to get the nutrients your body needs and thats not from supplements either.
    you can replace two meals a day , but do try and eat a nicely balanced low cal, low carb one meal atleast.
    just my 2 cents
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,976 Member
    Options
    The protein supplement and the meal plan looks fine, and actually better than any I've seen as plans go. If it helps you to take some of the guess work out of trying to lose weight, then I see no problem. I would take the research on soy to be neutral at this point, so I wouldn't worry about it especially in those quantities. Cheers.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I don't currently have a PhD, but I'd love to do a PhD in palaeoanthropology one day.

Oh, you're not talking about women with PhDs? Okay.

*backs out of thread*
  • SarahMZxx
    Options
    hey Sarah
    meal replacements are all fair and good BUT that cant be all you are consuming, you need some freah food to get the nutrients your body needs and thats not from supplements either.
    you can replace two meals a day , but do try and eat a nicely balanced low cal, low carb one meal atleast.
    just my 2 cents

Great - thank you :) Oh yes definitely a well balanced diet with one main meal, 2 shakes and snacks too. Thanks :) xxx
  • SarahMZxx
    Options
    The protein supplement and the meal plan looks fine, and actually better than any I've seen as plans go. If it helps you to take some of the guess work out of trying to lose weight, then I see no problem. I would take the research on soy to be neutral at this point, so I wouldn't worry about it especially in those quantities. Cheers.

Great - thank you :) I'm not going to use it every single day but it's another option and they taste good too which helps! xxx
  • Expect_The_Worst
    Options

Nobody

Ever

In The History

Of Mankind

EVER!!!!!!!
  • neanderthin
    Options

Nobody

Ever

In The History

Of Mankind

EVER!!!!!!!
    Well, maybe one guy back in middle ages, but he was so busy storming the castle he needed it.
  • lil_bit_crazy
    lil_bit_crazy Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Soy is a BIG NO NO if you have thyroid issues.
  • IronSmasher
    Options

Nobody

Ever

In The History

Of Mankind

EVER!!!!!!!
    Well, maybe one guy back in middle ages, but he was so busy storming the castle he needed it.

He had to make do with a hunk of bread and a bit of cheese.

I think maybe I should have capitalised NEED, in case people missed the bit where I also said supplements were OK?
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    Soy is a BIG NO NO if you have thyroid issues.

Imagine if she was a vegan who suffered from coeliac disease and had a peanut allergy?
  • neanderthin
    Options

Nobody

Ever

In The History

Of Mankind

EVER!!!!!!!

He had to make do with a hunk of bread and a bit of cheese.

I think maybe I should have capitalised NEED, in case people missed the bit where I also said supplements were OK?
    I knew what you meant, it's all good.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    That list of ingredients would have me in a chronic situation quicker than blink. I've worked hard to get back up. I Value proper ingredients and hope their provenance is good. When you are young you can abuse your body freely and usually get away with it but you will probably spend your later life reaping the whirlwind.
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    I knew that you knew what I meant.
    I'd have hoped that you'd know that I knew that you knew what I meant, but that's not what I was talking about.
    I think you know what I was talking about.

I'm surprised that you're happy with the mean plan, but I guess with the help of MFP at the same time it could work. I think it's because back when I was struggling, I'd try to follow a meal plan verbatim, and my portion size was probably my biggest problem.

Anyhow, OP as you've indicated it's for ideas then that's fine, but I still can't be seen as encouraging people to rely on supplements as much as they do in that plan.
    Do what you need to for now, but I think you'll be happier if you find a way to plan and prep meals a little better in the future, I know your wallet will be.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    That list of ingredients would have me in a chronic situation quicker than blink. I've worked hard to get back up. I Value proper ingredients and hope their provenance is good. When you are young you can abuse your body freely and usually get away with it but you will probably spend your later life reaping the whirlwind.
    What chronic situation is that? just curious.