Hungry - how to keep it under control?

Options
How do you gals come in under your calorie goals when you are STARVING all day? Weather has been crazy, so I have been in pain, and when I hurt (I have fibromyalgia) I either don't want to think about food, or my stomach won't stop gnawing at me. It doesn't seem to matter how much protein, fat or fiber I have with a meal, I just get hungry. (and it is stomach hungry, not mentally wanting to eat.

When I get this way I try to up my water intake, and it help[s some, but is short lived.

Replies

• alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Don't drink your calories, eat whole foods.

Avoid processed foods.

Eat plenty of vegetables. Most are very filling with barely any calories.

Up your exercise so you can eat more calories. For example, if you are doing 30 minutes of cardio 3 days a week and burning around 300 calories up it to maybe 60 minutes with double the calories. That's an extra 300 calories to eat each of those days or an extra 115ish each day of the week.
  • didislim
    Options
    Don't drink your calories, eat whole foods.

Avoid processed foods.

Eat plenty of vegetables. Most are very filling with barely any calories.

Up your exercise so you can eat more calories. For example, if you are doing 30 minutes of cardio 3 days a week and burning around 300 calories up it to maybe 60 minutes with double the calories. That's an extra 300 calories to eat each of those days or an extra 115ish each day of the week.

Awesome advice!!
    I agree, for me I too am ALWAYS hungry :( I can never understand how some people claim they are just not hungry and can't eat all their calories. LOL I am overweight because I have a huge appetite. I am hungry when I eat because I ait too long between meals. By time I get home from work I want to inhale the fridge. The only way I can eat more is by working out. 1 hour a day to even 1.5 hours on some days. the more I work out the more I can eat...I just try NOT to overdo it.
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of water!
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1200 a day and I don't starve. Only problem I have is when I want something "bad", which is okay once in a while. It's okay to go over your calories some days if that keeps you on track long-term.

I don't starve at 1200 because I eat good foods and I work out and burn about 400 calories each time. I'm not concerned with staying under 1200 on my rest days, I try to stick around 1400-1500.

For lunch today I have some chicken, half a cucumber, a bunch of baby carrots, and some ranch and it's very low in calories, 380 or so and that's mainly because of the ranch lol.

Also like above posters say, don't drink your calories.
  • looseal
    looseal Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I keep it under control with a High Fat Low Carb diet. It works for me.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I eat.
    ... and the calorie goal that MFP sets is ALREADY at a deficit. Eat up to that amount. Even if it's a little over, it's still enough to lose.

how much are you eating, anyway?
  • paniolo5
    paniolo5 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    For me personally, there is a huge difference in my appetite when I use too many calories on added sugar. I don't know what you eat during the day, but if you use lots of calories throughout the week on cookies or chocolate for example, try to cut that back & fill in with fruit or veggies for a few days. Hopefully it will help. Good luck!
  • arenad
    arenad Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    If I am already at my calorie limit and still hungry I grab a piece of extra gum. It keeps me from feeling so hungry.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I eat.
    ... and the calorie goal that MFP sets is ALREADY at a deficit. Eat up to that amount. Even if it's a little over, it's still enough to lose.

Your diary is closed. Any answer to your question beyond ^this is purely speculation.

How much are you eating? How much are you exercising? What are you eating?
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Make sure your calorie goal is not set too low!
  • Expect_The_Worst
    Options
    Well, when TOMs not visiting I drink coffee. Lots of coffee.
  • eyecandyrayce
    eyecandyrayce Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Eat low calorie snacks all day. When I'm hungry I drink a bunch of water and then eat celery or cucumber and lots of it. Fill yourself up with super low calorie healthy veggies so you at least are full between your other meals.

Hope all this advice helps and good luck!
  • christmre
    christmre Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I understand what you mean, I have RA, and when the weather gets bad, and my pain levels increase, my hunger does as well. I try to lower my carbs and sugars, and increase protein when this happens, also drink a lot of hot tea and water. I find that if I eat a more high carb, high sugar diet, I am hungrier overall. Other than that, sometimes I just try to distract myself by reading, sewing, or playing board games with my kids. I hope this helps :)
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I eat.

+100000000
  • PHDork16
    PHDork16 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I took a while to adjust to my goal calories per day. Honestly I would recommend eating more calories than you are now (but less than you were before starting your diet) so your body can adjust to less food, then gradually decrease your intake. Even if you are using all the awesome hints and tricks others have posted here, your body might not be ready to deal with such a huge deficit. If you can "train" it to be ok on less food 100 calories at a time, I think you will be less likely to throw the whole diet out the window. Stay strong!!
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    How do you gals come in under your calorie goals when you are STARVING all day? Weather has been crazy, so I have been in pain, and when I hurt (I have fibromyalgia) I either don't want to think about food, or my stomach won't stop gnawing at me. It doesn't seem to matter how much protein, fat or fiber I have with a meal, I just get hungry. (and it is stomach hungry, not mentally wanting to eat.

When I get this way I try to up my water intake, and it help[s some, but is short lived.

Veggies. Baby carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, salad. All VERY filling and low calories. You can get a ton of carrots for 100 calories.
  • amblight
    amblight Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I drink loads, though don't drink your calories!

And I plan how long you'll wait between eating - It helps me a lot to rationalize with myself: "You ate 2 hours ago, only one more to go, it's not unreasonable!" etc.

Also, try to cut down on fat if you are not already low - it just takes up very little space compared to the calories. Fill up with veggies with loads of fiber or water, you can eat sooo much of those with very little dent in your calorie allowance.
  • oneloopygirl
    oneloopygirl Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I eat.

Your diary is closed. Any answer to your question beyond ^this is purely speculation.

How much are you eating? How much are you exercising? What are you eating?

THIS ^^ It's hard to provide good advice if you can't see what someone is doing... However, general advice - avoid processed foods - frozen meals, etc to the extent possible. Make sure you're getting enough protein and good fats in your diet. A calorie is not a calorie. Some calories stick with you longer than others. If you get a good balance of proteins with fruits and veggies and some healthy fats, you shouldn't be starving. Watch intake of liquid calories - juices, sodas, creamer for coffees, etc all add up quick.
  • wrengoldenrod
    wrengoldenrod Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry, you should eat! What matters a lot is WHAT you're eating. Eat lots of vegetables, and avoid processed food and sugar. Eat healthy fats! Like Olive Oil, Coconut Oil. They will keep you full. Fat does not make you fat. It's a myth.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/09/01/enjoy-saturated-fats-theyre-good-for-you.aspx

If you're getting exercise and eating healthy, then you will lose weight if you need to. Although, if you're exercising, you might gain muscle, and lose fat, and not lose body weight. Body measurement is a more accurate measurement of health and body fat, I think. (Measuring the inches of your waist and hips.)

Hope that was helpful.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I eat