TMI but serious question

Options
I find it best when I exercise in the morning before eating breakfast. Normally I have a bowel movement as soon as I get up and then I go and exercise. However, recently I've had a few digestive issues and haven't had the movement. I've noticed that now when I have pooed, I find it a little more exhausing to do my exercise, whether it be cardio or weights, and I just seem to lack energy. If there's still food in my system, I seem to be able to do a little more. But if I try to exercise after having something to eat, I feel really sluggish.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• angel5561
    angel5561 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Mirilax??
    More fiber in your daily diet??
  • DMEckert50
    DMEckert50 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you're going to introduce fiber, do it slowly and a little at a time. If you're increasing your veggies and fruits, this is also fibre and may cause a problem as well. Too much all at once will have just the opposite effect and then you're in big trouble. I'd suggest increasing your water. I know myself, I get really sluggish if I don't have enough water and if I'm exercising more, I need more water. I also exercise first thing in the morning, but drink at least 1 cup of water before I even start, then another 2 cups after I'm done. Hope this helps.
  • funkygas
    funkygas Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I should have clarified. I have pooed during the day, just not before exercising. And I have heaps of fruits and veggies and a HUGE amount of water during the day. When I'm at home (currently travelling), I have some kefir every day for probiotics. I've got some probiotic capsules with me now - this morning was great for the digestive system, not so good for the energy levels when doing weights. It's a tough balancing act - although I think I prefer the digestive system working better and maybe toning the exercise down a little ... any other comments?
  • sgbotsford
    Options
    The two are likely related, stemming from a common cause. Often if you are not dumping at the usual time it is due to dehydration. That same dehydration increases the viscosity of your blood, making it that much harder to do anything, and increasing general feeling of fatigue, since you can't clear out the exercise metabolites as fast.

Or you are getting less something in your diet and are constipated. This tends to make you drink less, since you are feeling full.

Two things to try:

1. Make a point of drinking extra water the evening before -- a glass or two should be sufficient.

2. Increase the fiber in your diet. Try for another 10 grams a day.