getting rid of fat on lower belly/love handles

Options
Unfortunately, just below my waist I have this ring of fat concentrated in the lower belly and love handles. It is actually the same measurement as my hips! (which are properly measured lower, at the widest part of the butt).

My question is this: are there any exercises that target this area? Everything seems to be for the waist, abs or gluts.
Also, what dietary recommendations can help with this particular problem?

Replies

• Jesseca118
    Options
    for me it just seems to be the last to go.. im still working on getting rid of it.. no specific workouts just working out
  • KrisJ125
    KrisJ125 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    for me it just seems to be the last to go.. im still working on getting rid of it.. no specific workouts just working out

Cardio? or strength training?
  • eAddict
    eAddict Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, just below my waist I have this ring of fat concentrated in the lower belly and love handles. It is actually the same measurement as my hips! (which are properly measured lower, at the widest part of the butt).

My question is this: are there any exercises that target this area? Everything seems to be for the waist, abs or gluts.
    Also, what dietary recommendations can help with this particular problem?
    If you find the magic formula please share.
  • airdale8263
    airdale8263 Posts: 2,155 Member
    Options
    I have not be able to find anything. I guess just keeping working the lower core and it will go away (at least that is what I am hoping for...lol)
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    If you have fat still around your belly area - then you need to keep working on losing fat. There are no exercises that will get rid of the fat. All the core work in the world will work on the muscles, but will not remove the fat. You may have the abs - but they will still be under the fat.

Lifting is awesome for body recomp. My dietary suggestions are to meet your calorie and macro goals. There are no foods that are belly fat burners.

For me, this is the last place I hold on to the extra fat, too.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Sadly you cannot spot reduce with diet or exercise. Genetics will determine from where fat leaves your body first.

Keep eating at a calorie deficit to reduce overall body fat and sooner or later it will go from these stubborn areas.

There are no specific exercises that will target fat loss in these areas, however strength training will help preserve muscle mass to ensure the majority of your weight loss comes from fat.
  • ddixon503
    ddixon503 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    If you have fat still around your belly area - then you need to keep working on losing fat. There are no exercises that will get rid of the fat. All the core work in the world will work on the muscles, but will not remove the fat. You may have the abs - but they will still be under the fat.

Lifting is awesome for body recomp. My dietary suggestions are to meet your calorie and macro goals. There are no foods that are belly fat burners.

^ This
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You just have to lower your BF% and eventually will lose from there. That said the most effective way to lower BF% (lose fat while minimizing muscle loss) is to eat at a small deficit (0.5lb/week goal, or TDEE -10-15%), get adequate protein (0.7-1 gram of protein per lb of body weight, or goal body weight), and take part in a progressive strength training program (best to find one that focuses on compound lifts)

Cardio can be used if you like it, or want to eat more calories, the deficit can be diet alone or a combo of diet and cardio.
  • ddixon503
    ddixon503 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Sadly you cannot spot reduce with diet or exercise. Genetics will determine from where fat leaves your body first.

Keep eating at a calorie deficit to reduce overall body fat and sooner or later it will go from these stubborn areas.

There are no specific exercises that will target fat loss in these areas, however strength training will help preserve muscle mass to ensure the majority of your weight loss comes from fat.

^ and this...
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options

This!
  • Jesseca118
    Options
    I do both.. everyone else said it much better :)
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1161603-so-you-want-a-nice-stomach

<-- I've had two babies (while I was obese) and my stomach fat is some of the last to go.
  • crystalfisher89
    crystalfisher89 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Sorry to tell you this... You cannot sport reduce... all these workouts claim to cause spot reducing and it doesn't work. On my body my hips and upper back of the thighs are the last to lose fat, ALWAYS. Until I get to a certain body fat percentage, they don't start reducing. Believe me, I can run 7 miles in an hour flat, but still have cellulite on my upper thighs and plenty of butt blubber.

As for things to help spike fat burning.... I can help out with that :) The rule of thumb if you want to tone and rid yourself of fat is to do strength training at least two times a week and up your protein intake. I do strength training twice a week and cardio (running and elliptical or kickboxing) 3-4 days a week. Never do two days of strength training in a row though, make sure you spread it out because your muscles have to rejuvenate after the beating that strength training is. I do body pump at my local Y and love it and also do free weights. A trainer told me to stay away from the machines because they are not as effective as free weights are for your body. Try lunges, squats, and several other workouts using free weights (they are easy to find and if you have a local Y a trainer will create a free workout for you). Try working your abs for a good 10 minutes too 3-4 times a week as well. Do planks, side planks, hip ups, crunches on a ball, side to side twists, the list goes on!

Also, workouts are only 20% of the solution to losing weight and fat... nutrition is 80%. Make sure you are eating the right amount of calories and maybe look at changing your macros to 40c, 30f, 30p. Aim for 100 grams of protein a day (it's amazing how much more satisfied your body is on a high protein diet!), your body won't bulk on that much protein as long as you are eating at maintenance or a deficit, instead you will tone! It works for me. As for the right amount of calories, check out TDEE minus 15% or 20% for your calories to eat, too many people eat too few of calories thinking that they can only eat 1500 calories. I eat between 1600-2300 and lose at the same time. Do take measurements because you may lose fat, but stay the same or go up weight wise. There are tons of TDEE calculators out there (total daily energy expenditure) so I'd definitely check it out!
  • KrisJ125
    KrisJ125 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all for the good advice. I just started a new strength training regime (designed by my son, who just finished his degree in kinesiology). He is having me do a lot of exercises I am familiar with--but with higher weight than I am accustomed to. I think I probably need to up my protein % too. The daily goal on my diary is set at 60. Think I'll try at least 100 of protein.