sugar intake

I seem to be going over my daily allowance for sugar everyday, the thing is im only eating sugars from fruits. should i still not be going over or is it okay because it is only natural sugars from fruits?

i would love all of your opinions!

Replies

• Celebi03
    Celebi03 Posts: 310 Member

nice jinx cosplay!!
  • Celebi03
    Celebi03 Posts: 310 Member
    Btw you might want to read up on different kinds of sugars! :)
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Unless you have a medical reason, do not worry about it. Sugar is a carb, track the number.
  • saratague
    saratague Posts: 49 Member
    Because I eat 15 oz of grapes (about 300 calories each) for both a morning AND afternoon snack, I often go over my sugar AND calories for the day.

I try to look at it as quality vs. quantity - Yes...It's still 600 calories from "snacks" but I believe that 600 calories of grapes is better than 600 calories from pretzels, chips, or some other snack I could be having.

Yes...I could probably switch to veggies instead of fruit, but I like fruit.

Between that and the juice I drink for breakfast and lunch, I don't panic if I go over my calories a by 200-300 for the day: I'm fairly active lately and with almost 1000 calories coming from fruits and veggies, I'm okay with it.
  • "Sugar" can be taken out of context pretty easily. I think the what and how needs to be looked at to get a better picture: what kind of sugar and how are you taking it in.

For example, lets look at an apple. It has the equivalent of 5.75 cugar cubes, the same as a Snickers bar!!
    1 large apple (3.25"/223g - 10% waste)
    Sugars, total: 23g
    Calories, total: 116
    Calories from sugar: 92

Normally something that is 79% sugar I would not eat. However, how is the sugar "wrapped" up? If I was to take the apple and squeeze it, taking in only the juice it would be bad. Not only would I be missing the nutrients in the skin but I would basically be pouring sugar water into my system; waiting for my insulin to spike. If I was to liquefy it and drink the whole thing, I would be keeping the solids with the sugar. My stomach and gut would have a harder time breaking the solids down and extracting the nutrients. If I was to leave it whole, my entire upper GI would get involved in breaking the food down (masticating and more work for the stomach in breaking down the larger pieces). Also, while I will be taking in sugar from the apple... it is not refined/processed sugar that you would find in most sweets (especially Snickers).

Here is a good article from Well and Good which may help too.

Fruit, of course, is the healthy way to go. But not everything from the produce aisle is created equal.

Some of the most commonly purchased fruits are actually the highest in sugar, like bananas (28 grams of sugar per cup) and grapes (23 g). Ditto tropics-born favorites like mango (24 g) and pineapple (25 g).

To avoid a serious blood-sugar spike, here are the top three fruits we’re gushing over for summer—containing the lowest sugar content and some seriously juicy benefits:

Strawberries. Their lipstick-red color is due to phenolic acid, a big-deal antioxidant that plays a major role in helping regulate blood sugar response. When consumed at least three times a week, their powerful anti-inflammatory properties kick in.
    Sugar content: Seven grams per cup.
    Tip: Eat for dessert and get the benefits of digestive enzymes.

Apples. An apple a day indeed keeps the doctor away with its antioxidant-rich nutrients. Quercetin and other flavonoids slow digestion, preventing a hard-core sugar spike.
    Sugar content: Eleven grams per cup.
    Tip: Replenish glucose after a workout with green apples.

Cantaloupe. Improve eye-sight with beta-carotene-packed cantaloupe and boost immunity with its high vitamin-C content. Sugar content: Thirteen grams per cup.
    Tip: Freeze tiny ice-cream-style scoops of cantaloupe for a frozen treat.