What is your strategy to stay motivated?

Options
yonce20
yonce20 Posts: 11 Member
Hi everyone. This is my second stint on MFP. The first time I tried, I was tracking my food and exercise, lost 5 lbs, and then slowly began forgetting to log my meals, and let the lazy kick back in.

I'm back, and hopefully here to stay. I am at my all time weight high, and I have been feeling really disappointed with myself, I feel ugly, and lazy, and just blah. It's affecting my relationship, and I want to get to a place where I actually like myself again.

I want to be diligent with logging my meals, and logging my exercise, but I want to know, how to you stay motivated to keep logging your meals, and exercise, and stay on this path of improved health and weight loss? I know its the age old question, but I am hoping to get some tips to keep me going. I've changed my diet to include fresh foods, and have eliminated eating out, or eating processed foods. I've also begun exercising and drinking alot of water. I am doing my best to change my life around but I feel sometimes I am so busy that I forget to log in my meals, or sometimes I am just too tired at the end of the day to even get my phone/computer to log in my dinner and exercise. I know if I keep this up, I will slowly fall off the path of improvement.

Any tips or assistance people can share with me would be appreciated. Thank you all!

Replies

• eyecandyrayce
    eyecandyrayce Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    1. I log my entire day worth of meals in the morning. This lets me plan out my day better so I don't go over. If it isn't in my log for the day, I can't eat it.
    2. Community. Find lots of active friends and participate with them. Motivate them and let them motivate you with encouraging words and accountability.
    3. Allow yourself a cheat day or cheat meal on occasion. I have found that I can't cut out the rich foods I love entirely so I spend the entire week following my calorie goal religiously and working out but I don't eat my calories back. I keep a tally of my total calories burned and on the weekend I eat out and use up those calories. I am still lose 1+ pounds a week this way so it works for me.

I'm sending you a friend request. Good luck!
  • CPlempel1013
    Options
    I am kind of in the same boat! I lost about 60lbs in a year, 2 years ago. And unfortunately I fell off track and gained it all back :( I was so disappointed in myself but now I'm back on it and I'm ready to help and motivate others as a life goal!

I've always been overweight my whole life and I'm done with it! Being healthy is the key!

You need to come on to my fitness pal every day! Post in the message boards, add people for friends and get the motivation you need on here from everyone!

You can do it! Just add it to be a part of your day, log it in as soon as you eat it. Plus you can look at your friends diaries and see what they're eating !

You can do it! Don't give up
  • yonce20
    Options
    Thanks so much! I think i will try the logging everything in the morning tip. I always wait to eat the meal, because I'm worried I won't stick with the plan, but maybe this way I will force myself to stick with the plan.

Thanks again!
  • beachgod
    beachgod Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I'm on my second stint, too. I lost the weight shown on my ticker mostly due to a strict (to me) eating program but it was too rigid; I got caught up in minutiae and denial and eventually went back to my old ways. Needless to say, I regained some flab and lost some muscle.

Remembering how good I was doing last year and looking at my before and after photos compared to now motivate me; if I did it once I can do it again. This time around I have a more realistic, better relationship with food and am applying moderation which is a chore since I tend to have an all-or-nothing outlook. It is getting easier though and much quicker than I thought it would (re: moderation).

I post on MFP every day, spend too much time on the forums (not recommended!) and have been jogging but I haven't done much resistance training yet. I need to get that final piece back in to my lifestyle and I'll be on the right track.

Another big source of motivation is I'm on the beach almost every day and I see a lot of smokin' hot bodies as well as the other extreme. I want to be in the hot catagory (hence the profile name), even if I am an old fart. As hot as I can be, anyway!

edited for clarification.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    You cant be motivated all the time. No one can. It's forming habits. I log everything now out of habit. I run even on days I don't want to out of habit. Its putting in place systems that eventually form habits. try not to over complicate it keep it simple and the habits will form also remember there is nothing wrong with failure as long as you learn from it we all make mistakes have bad days but the habits should form so that you learn and carry on. You didn't get unhealthy in one meal or one day so one meal or one day wont destroy any progress.

Good luck and also remember the right way is the way that works for you
  • conniehv40
    conniehv40 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I am finding the same problem. I have decided to change though... (again)

I started by measuring my breakfast... It isn't much, but it keeps me thinking about the next meals.

Also, if I am drinking water, it is another reminder that I am trying to make healthy choices...

It is really hard to see these wonderful people just doing this every day without fail and all I do is fail, but.... nobody is judging me here. I am only judging myself. So... If i don't want to have the "blah" feeling, I grab my water and remember that I am logging.

Off we go to get some weight off!!
  • ImpishVanity
    ImpishVanity Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    You cant be motivated all the time. No one can. It's forming habits. I log everything now out of habit. I run even on days I don't want to out of habit. Its putting in place systems that eventually form habits. try not to over complicate it keep it simple and the habits will form also remember there is nothing wrong with failure as long as you learn from it we all make mistakes have bad days but the habits should form so that you learn and carry on. You didn't get unhealthy in one meal or one day so one meal or one day wont destroy any progress.

pretty much this. It's taken me a long time to create habits like weighing my food, going to the gym, etc. It's a slow process
  • Ewaldt
    Ewaldt Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I think that the key to being successful is forcing yourself to keep doing something, even if you have lost the motivation, because you know that if it was worth it before, it will be worth it again. I think that discipline is key for weight loss. At least it is for me, since this is about my 3rd or 4th time trying to lose the same 30 lbs I keep losing and then gaining.
  • phyllisgehrke
    phyllisgehrke Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I am in my 60's. So it has been harder to lose my weight.
    I am now in Maintenance Mode after losing 43 pounds.

My Motivation is logging every morning my whole days worth of meals. That way I do no cheating.
    Make sure I have my water intake and get my walk even if it is indoors.
    Also stay connected to your MFP Friends they will give you a lot of support and motivation
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    The mirror and hating what I see. It keeps me going.
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    my tips are not easy. but imo they are the keys to long term success.
    motivation is fleeting you cannot put all your weight loss plan eggs in the motivation basket. imo, you need to get to the root cause on why you dont take care of yourself or what the weight is all about in the first place. when you strip it all down its going to probably be an emotion. for me its when im overwhelmed, anxious or stressed or some emotional need is not being met (this took me YEARS to figure out and im still practicing the awareness). so the key for me is to reduce and/or manage these things in a healthy way and when i do i find maintaining healthy food choices becomes VERY easy for me.

with that said i do have a few more anchors when the going gets tough. i think of my daughter and what i would want her to eat and do and i make those same choices. i also think about smaller goals like appearances. i also have self-talks like if i dont want to track my food, i remind myself that this is part of meeting my goals and i will be happy i did it when its done, etc.

write that stuff down so when you are feeling "weak" you have a few things to turn to
  • wyndielund
    Options
    The common thing I see in everyone who wants to lose weight is what diet should I be on, what works best for you. I have always said I am going to go on a diet to lose the weight but the reality of it is DIETS FAIL! No matter how you cut it, diets fade and that's when the weight comes. To lose weight and keep it off we need a LIFESTYLE CHANGE! Cut the crap out and stick to buying the right foods. Fresh veggies, fruits, and meat meat meat!! Only then will you lose the weight and keep it off. I have been at my lifestyle change for 3 months, and the first 2 months sucked. Now in the past month not only have I noticed weight loss, my body is changing and becoming toned. I have more energy, and my oh my am I so much happier!! I have a cheat day once a week where I either don't log anything I eat (normally on a day that we have a date night and eat out) or I log everything I eat but allow myself to indulge in that huge greasy burger smothered in cheese with french fries!! When I do log on a cheat day I tend to eat nothing but veggies throughout the day that way I am not loading up on processed foods, carbs and grease. It also helps that on the cheat day or the day following I do an hour of cardio. So to end the babble remember, this is a lifestyle change not a diet, and we are not fat, we have fat-there is a difference!!!
  • artsyparts
    artsyparts Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I joined MFP last July as part of my 2013 New Year's Resolution of trying/doing something new (& a little out of my comfort zone) every month. MFP and that resolution have really changed my approach to life.

One of the things I added was Aqua Zumba. Getting into a swimsuit for the first time in 5 years at 188.6 took some major courage! But I loved the class and continue taking it twice a week. When that instructor suggested MFP and her new Turbo Tabata (high intensity interval training in the pool) class, they sounded like good things to try for July and August.

Sometimes it's something pretty simple, like experimenting with a new vegetable. Sometimes it's something quite surprising, like friends inviting me to travel with them to Portugal for an international Buddhist festival?! Before that resolution I would have laughed and said "I can't do that." Now when something off the wall presents itself I laugh, shrug, and say "Okay!" Especially if it's something that's going to make me healthier, wiser, or help someone else. That makes it a win win in my book. (Okay, no one's been able to talk me into bungee jumping, wall climbing, or zip lining yet. but who knows?)

Consequently, I've lost 40 lbs. since this time last year. Haven't been this weight since 1979! (Yeah, I turn 62 in about a month).

And I intend to live this way for the rest of my life.

My new thing last month, a portrait sculpture class. This month I went with a friend to a bingo fundraiser for Special Olympics. Not only did I have a blast getting up during the DJ portion to join in the Cuban Shuffle (which I'd never done in public - just in Zumba Gold class), I won so many prizes playing bingo, I had to have help hauling it all to the car!

Next month, a Fun & Fitness cruise through the Panama Canal (zumba classes on board!). I'm having a blast using the weekly 49cent sale at the local Salvation Army thrift store to buy a new, formfitting size 12 wardrobe for the cruise!

I use MFP like a game. Using lots of bulky, healthy, low calorie food like most non-starchy veggies to fill my food and stomach without going over my calorie count - and I really try not to eat calories earned from exercise. Also, I recorded every place I could get a measuring tape around when I began. I record weight and measurements once a week. I discovered that the weeks the scale didn't move much, were the weeks my measurements were smaller! Just as motivating as the numbers on the scale.

And I still manage to eat just a little bit of very dark chocolate every day.

Good luck!

Feel free to friend me!
  • bynonmurrayc
    bynonmurrayc Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people can relate to you! I definitely can. I'm an ex-gymnast. Used to be 120lbs and fit but gained around 20 pounds in university so I'm at around 138 now.

I find that I can stay motivated if I start my days working out. If you start out with your best foot forward, I find it easier to stay on track throughout the day. I literally go to sleep in my gym clothes, have an instant coffee, throw my shoes on, and then go to the ground floor of my apartment building and climb up to 35. It takes me around 5 to 7 minutes and I'm exhausted but it starts my day right, and sometimes I even go to the gym in my building right after.

I also think it's important to workout EVERY day even if it's just a 5 minute run or an uphill walk. I find that when you exercise every day your mindset is just overall more motivated. When you skip one day, then two, then three, you just get out of the habit, and that doesn't work in the long run because at the end of the day, it's is a lifestyle change we're all aiming for.

Working out every day is literally my "security blanket." I know that loosing weight is 80% diet, but i find that I am NEVER successful unless I'm on a gym routine. I don't think it's necessarily the calories burned, but it puts you in a mindset, and it's also easier to stay on track when you're in a routine.

I also always try to spend a bit of time at night (when I'm sometimes bad for snacking) going on the community/forum here at MFP because it keeps me motivated and allows me to look at all the amazing things other people are doing, and also, it lets me complain if i'm cranky :p
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I incorporated logging food and exercising into my normal life - made them habits. I don't need to stay motivated because they are just what I do each day, along with showering, brushing my teeth, going to work, cooking dinner etc.

Additionally, I chose not to eliminate going out to eat (although that's never been a regular thing for me) or eating processed foods or eating any foods that I enjoy. I didn't see any reason to make it harder than it needed to be. I eat cheese and butter and pizza and pasta and chocolate and ice cream - just in appropriate portion sizes. My diet is very good and gives me all the nutrients I need, and also includes foods that I enjoy.

The key to success isn't feeling motivated 100% of the time, it's making it easy for you to carry on doing what you need to do, even when you don't feel motivated or inspired. So, make changes that you can see yourself living with permanently, even when things get boring or difficult. Don't make multiple, radical changes just because you think you should because you're "on a diet".

Other than that, you really just have to decide whether or not it's important enough to be a priority in your life. If you can't find the energy to pick up your phone at the end of the day and spend 5-10 minutes logging food, then maybe it's not important enough to you (yet). :flowerforyou:
  • yonce20
    Options
    Wow - thank you all for your responses. I really appreciate it, and feel like this goal is an attainable one.

Its so great to hear from people who have made a change, and stuck with it. I am going to spend some time trying to change my mindset, and just going for it (and try to enjoy the process of this all).

Thank you all again for your answers. It put some fuel to my fire :)
  • kuroboxx
    Options
    bikini.....just...bikini
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options

Yup. fatdoob smoking the smart stuff. =)
  • ladywizard43
    ladywizard43 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    1. I log my entire day worth of meals in the morning. This lets me plan out my day better so I don't go over. If it isn't in my log for the day, I can't eat it.
    2. Community. Find lots of active friends and participate with them. Motivate them and let them motivate you with encouraging words and accountability.
    3. Allow yourself a cheat day or cheat meal on occasion. I have found that I can't cut out the rich foods I love entirely so I spend the entire week following my calorie goal religiously and working out but I don't eat my calories back. I keep a tally of my total calories burned and on the weekend I eat out and use up those calories. I am still lose 1+ pounds a week this way so it works for me.

I'm sending you a friend request. Good luck!

This! ^ I find logging my days foods early really helps as well, and lets me know ahead of time what I can eat that still keeps me on plan. That way you can play with the numbers too, maybe you really want that special treat, this allows you to incorporate it into your diet without compromising your numbers at the end of the day.

Another thing my coach always tells me when I start to lose my "oomph" is, to remember why I started. All these things you've listed are valid, obtainable and soooo important! Revisit them often, keep reminding yourself why you are doing this, and see yourself at the finish line! Remember, it's a marathon not a sprint, it won't happen overnight, but with time and dedication, you can do this!! :))
  • odessa36
    Options
    I've lost 50lbs so far but I've been sick so I feel myself slipping. I'm finally checking back on this site to get some refocusing n motivation. Mine is mostly one meal choice at a time. But when ur sick u just eat whatever is there. I also eat frequently and that helps me not get hungry. Here's to getting healthy together????