Trader Joes <3

2»

Replies

• qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    cookie butter. ftw.
  • CMoeDee
    CMoeDee Posts: 102 Member
    The closest TJ to me is also about 45 minutes away. I would even love to have a Whole Foods or Wegman's but they are about 30 minutes away. So sad.

I. Miss. Wegman's. So hard. I mean, I love my TJ's - cheddar rockets forever, but oh man, Wegman's.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    If you don't have a TJs by you ... do you have an Aldi's?

While the selection isn't as great, they are owned by the same people. Healthy, cheap options!

Please show me proof because I've heard this before but haven't found anything stating it's true.

I <3 TJs.
    Frozen fish.
    Nut selection.
    Trail mix selection.
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    I used to work for TJs and it's an awesome place to work, and thats almost exclusively where I shop!

Recently I've been getting into the Miso soup broth, the roasted red pepper and tomato (reduced sodium) soup, Wasabi mayonnaise (cuz I dont like regular mayo), brown rice pasta, freshly ground coffee and their DARK CHOCOLATE mmmmm..

Also, their alcohols are almost always cheaper than anywhere else. I get pretty quality tequila, whiskey and red wine at half the price of the liquor store down the street from me!

I think I should go get my old job back ;)
  • polarsjewel
    polarsjewel Posts: 1,726 Member
    I went to my first ever Trader Joes last week while on vacation. oh my goodness. I wish we had those in canada. I had heard such good things about that store from MFP and man it did not disappoint!

I second this!
  • MartialPanda
    MartialPanda Posts: 919 Member
    While i love TJ's a lot of their products are very simple and easy to make but i'm a freak and insistent and roasted all my own things etc. I like the time i spend on it. I'm sure theirs is delicious. Their meat options are sorely lacking my particular TJ's so that's sad. Not enough types and such go on. Although i have to say the ribeye i got from them was BANGING.

The one.....thing i've seen is there cheese seem to be slightly overprice. That's probably the only thing I have a slight problem with. Also THE LINES. Good thing the people are friendly or else i would've booked.

Overall though i gotta say I love going to TJ's. Their vintage beer was pretty cool too.
  • judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Also, their alcohols are almost always cheaper than anywhere else. I get pretty quality tequila, whiskey and red wine at half the price of the liquor store down the street from me!

I was feeling pretty smug since I'm 30 min from a Trader Joe's, but the ones in PA don't sell alcohol. Boo hoo!!! We still have state run liquor stores - so barbaric!!!

I love the triple ginger snaps. Only about 23 cals each. Whatever calories I have left, I use up with those. I ran out and went to TJs the other day, and they were out! I asked a guy about it in a panic, thinking maybe it was a seasonal thing, and he assured me they will have them back in. They were just voted the most popular item at TJs, so they had a run on them.
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    I was just there yesterday- LOVE IT! The one I go to is 35 or so miles away, but I travel up there for work and occasional appointments, so I time my TJ shopping trips for those times. I also have a lunch date with my husband while I'm up there. I love TJs!!!!!!!!
  • The closest TJ to me is also about 45 minutes away. I would even love to have a Whole Foods or Wegman's but they are about 30 minutes away. So sad.

I. Miss. Wegman's. So hard. I mean, I love my TJ's - cheddar rockets forever, but oh man, Wegman's.

I've heard so many great things about Wegman's, but as a Midwesterner living with a Californian, I've never been to one. What makes them special/different?
  • If you don't have a TJs by you ... do you have an Aldi's?

While the selection isn't as great, they are owned by the same people. Healthy, cheap options!

Please show me proof because I've heard this before but haven't found anything stating it's true.

I <3 TJs.
    Frozen fish.
    Nut selection.
    Trail mix selection.

Look up Aldi on Wikipedia--it has a more-or-less comprehensible rundown. Aldi and Trader Joe's in America are kind of like cousins.
  • ordinaryloser
    ordinaryloser Posts: 35 Member
    I have a Trader Joe's in the vicinity but for some reason, I always got the idea that they were super expensive. The more I read about them though, it seems like it would be cheaper (& healthier) to go their than a supermarket.
  • Joebob8
    Joebob8 Posts: 69 Member
    Sooooo much cheaper!