Eating a ton and still losing weight?

Options
I have been eating a ton. I crave everything. To stay away from cakes and brownies, I have been eating bananas and nutella. So still getting lots of sugar. I have been eating a ton of regular food too. But making sure its veggies, chicken, beans, some rice. none the less though I have been reaching or close to my maintenance calories. I am still so hungry all the time. I want to eat everything. I just weighed in today, and since Friday I have lost almost a whole 1.5lbs. HOW CAN THIS BE!?

Replies

• sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    OMG it must be a pain.
  • April_KT
    April_KT Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    All i can say is thank God. literally, thank him lol i wish i had this problem
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    your losing whats the problem? lol! so clearly there is a deficit that adds up during the week that's making you lose.

also make sure you're eating is about being hungry and not emotional eating which is entirely different.
    and if its true hunger, then eat and be merry =)
  • abetterbrandi
    Options
    Calories in, calories out. You can eat whatever you want in you calorie range and lose weight. Sugar doesn't make a bit of difference. You had to have a calorie deficiency to lose the weight so maybe you were a bit more active than you thought.
  • Apocalypz
    Apocalypz Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    OMG it must be a pain.
    Oh my, this was hilarious.
  • Expect_The_Worst
    Options
    I doubt you ate a ton (2500lbs). Just not humanly possible.

I suspect your food measurements are a bit off.
  • Lifelink
    Lifelink Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I doubt you ate a ton (2500lbs). Just not humanly possible.

I suspect your food measurements are a bit off.

lulz. Dat epic **** doe...
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I have been eating a ton. I crave everything. To stay away from cakes and brownies, I have been eating bananas and nutella. So still getting lots of sugar. I have been eating a ton of regular food too. But making sure its veggies, chicken, beans, some rice. none the less though I have been reaching or close to my maintenance calories. I am still so hungry all the time. I want to eat everything. I just weighed in today, and since Friday I have lost almost a whole 1.5lbs. HOW CAN THIS BE!?

My weight fluctuates about 3 lbs. over the course of the day. Trying to measure a 1.5 lb. loss over such a short period would be difficult to do accurately. I'd chalk it up to daily fluctuation. Keep doing what you're doing. If the scale moves in a dramatic fashion, you're either eating less than you realize or burning more calories. If you're really on track to drop like 3 lbs a week and you're hungry all the time, then I'd bump up the calories. Not a great idea to lose too much too fast. But I'd be surprised if you actually lost 1.5 lbs. in just a few days.
  • Yomamma45885
    Options
    It's when we don't eat that our bodies go into starvation mode and make MORE fat. My neighbor is a doctor and he reminded me that when our babies are born we feed them small amounts every two hours...which makes them small fat burning machines....lol...sort of....We will get more out of this website and out of changing the way we eat, if we eat smaller amounts of calories every two hours so that we continue to burn fat. As long as we stay within our recommended calories and sodium it should work that way. I'm also walking an hour a day to make sure I am active.

Oh....He also suggested that I put 2 tblsp of Apple Cider Vinegar in a tall glass of water and drink that every day to help in weight loss. It's not the best tasting thing, but if I drink it fast it's doable. Also he said to put a teaspoon of olive oil in everything I eat...salads, spaghetti, etc....as it will help everything to be eliminated. Is very important to also get enough fiber so that food leaves the body...so that, and the olive oil will help. I'm also trying to avoid anything white...rice, sugar, bread.

Good luck on your goals! Sounds like you are off to a great great start and by summer you should be even happier with your results!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Either you are not as close to maintenance as you think, or it's water weight.
  • fast_eddie_72
    Options
    It's when we don't eat that our bodies go into starvation mode and make MORE fat.

This isn't really true. Eating fewer calories can not make more fat. Starving is a horrible thing. It does all kinds of terrible things to your body. As a technique for healthy weight loss, it is an unspeakably poor and dangerous choice. However, when people starve, they do lose weight. They never gain weight. There is a load of great information on "starvation mode". As you're using it here, it is a myth. Starvation is a real thing, but it doesn't work like that. This thread is a great place to start.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/761810-the-starvation-mode-myth-again
  • Yomamma45885
    Options
    You've lost 20 lb!!!!!!! I just noticed that! Congratulations!
  • Yomamma45885
    Options
    Maybe I worded that wrong. lol Clearly you are doing well, having lost 20 lbs. I'm impressed!
  • fast_eddie_72
    Options
    Maybe I worded that wrong. lol Clearly you are doing well, having lost 20 lbs. I'm impressed!

No worries. When I joined this site I thought "starvation mode" was a thing too. That's why we're here. Share info and learn along the way. It turns out this is a lot simpler (simple, not easy) than it is sometimes made out to be. Burn 3,500 calories more than you take in and you lose a pound. Knowing that you don't have to worry about "starvation mode" (along with a host of other weight loss myths) just makes it easier to focus on what matters.

And thanks for noticing! Yup. I'm pretty happy today.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    It's when we don't eat that our bodies go into starvation mode and make MORE fat. My neighbor is a doctor and he reminded me that when our babies are born we feed them small amounts every two hours...which makes them small fat burning machines....lol...sort of....We will get more out of this website and out of changing the way we eat, if we eat smaller amounts of calories every two hours so that we continue to burn fat. As long as we stay within our recommended calories and sodium it should work that way. I'm also walking an hour a day to make sure I am active.

Oh....He also suggested that I put 2 tblsp of Apple Cider Vinegar in a tall glass of water and drink that every day to help in weight loss. It's not the best tasting thing, but if I drink it fast it's doable. Also he said to put a teaspoon of olive oil in everything I eat...salads, spaghetti, etc....as it will help everything to be eliminated. Is very important to also get enough fiber so that food leaves the body...so that, and the olive oil will help. I'm also trying to avoid anything white...rice, sugar, bread.

Good luck on your goals! Sounds like you are off to a great great start and by summer you should be even happier with your results!

With all due respect; what planet is your neighbor doctor from ?
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Sigh...
    It's when we don't eat that our bodies go into starvation mode and make MORE fat.

Starvation mode is a total myth. Look at anorexics or starving children in Africa - you don't see them being all fat and wobbly because they didn't eat enough!
    My neighbor is a doctor and he reminded me that when our babies are born we feed them small amounts every two hours...which makes them small fat burning machines....lol...sort of....

Babies are not "fat burning machines" and I think it's kind a gross to suggest that they are. Babies don't want to lose weight! We feed them small amounts regularly because they grow quickly and only have small tummies.

All drinking apple cider vinegar in water will do is give you a gross tasting drink first thing in the morning.
    All olive oil will do is add extra calories to your food.
    I'm not against cutting back on carbs, since most people eat too many anyway, but it's not necessary for weight loss.
    All that matters for weight loss is that you burn more calories than you take in via food and drink. if you also want to be healthy you need a balanced diet, and that includes eating carbs.
  • pearlmorning
    pearlmorning Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Once you hit your goal (I did in Oct.) stopping the weight loss is kind of like stopping a loaded locomotive lol! For those who haven't reached goal yet the loss still looks admirable, but it is necessary to balance out at this point and stay steady. I have over shot my goal by 10 lbs and while not scary it is also not in the plan. I understand where you are. I love my new way of life with the workouts, fit body and healthy foods and I don't want to go back, but now we need to learn how to eat these new foods we love, gain a little weight and not need to go back to the sugars, high salts, high cholesterols etc. I also find that since I don't have a huge storage of fat with me at all time for my body to rely on I think my body panics a little and and tells me to "Eat, eat, eat!" . I also need to stop the guilty feeling everytime I eat extra carbs, or a mid day snack because it is ok now. We reached goal by being very strict with ourselves and it is hard to relax that vigilance. My suggestion is to find friends that are also at maintanence. So you can support and learn from each other. Good luck and congrats.
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options

Errr... you could always just combine the apple cider vinegar with the oil and eat it with salad. A lot of what he said sounds like old wives tales (no offense)...

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/diet-myth-or-truth-vinegar-helps-you-lose-weight
  • proudjmmom
    proudjmmom Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I reached goal in November, 125lbs. With trying to stabilize maintenance, I lost a further 7 lbs over 2.5 months. My body seems to have finally settled where it wants to be. Loving the new life, activity, and eating. You're body will adjust when it sees fit, just keep doing what you are doing. There is no magic formula for maintenance, it takes a while to figure it out, trial and error. I no longer keep track of my food (I was becoming obsessive), and feel comfortable where I am with my diet and exercise.
  • pearlmorning
    pearlmorning Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I reached goal in November, 125lbs. With trying to stabilize maintenance, I lost a further 7 lbs over 2.5 months. My body seems to have finally settled where it wants to be. Loving the new life, activity, and eating. You're body will adjust when it sees fit, just keep doing what you are doing. There is no magic formula for maintenance, it takes a while to figure it out, trial and error. I no longer keep track of my food (I was becoming obsessive), and feel comfortable where I am with my diet and exercise.

Congratulations! You look wonderful and I agree. I still chart my food, but mainly to make sure I eat enough and it works well with my fitbit. I'm so impressed with your loss and new control.