4m plateau, doing insanity, not losing inches or lbs? whY?

Options
I've been on MFP since 2011. So logging calories isn't' new to me. But being stuck for 4months is. In Jan 2013 I had my 3rd baby. I dropped the baby weight. and trying to lose another 15 lbs to reach my goal of 135.
I have been playing with my calories. Trying to increase my workouts. But for the past 4 months I keep gaining & losing same 3lbs. and can't break the cycle. I cut out meat, bread, baked goods for a few weeks to see if that would help. But even giving up all those goodies didn't do anything. I drink 1 gallon of water everyday. I don't know how much to eat anymore or what else to do.

Any advice??? I'm 5'5 and currently 153 as of this morning. I do insanity 5-6xs a week. Finishing up month 1 this week. THis is my 2nd round doing it. I finished 1st round in September. and lost 10lbs and a lot of inches. This round I haven't' lost any weight and I inches lost was maybe 1-2inches total if that so far..

Replies

• cpcoursec
    cpcoursec Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Are you consuming a lot of dairy products?
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    What is your height? TDEE? How much are you burning with Insanity? Your calories seem fairly low. I'm wondering if you're eating enough? But without numbers I have no clue
  • mellynat
    mellynat Posts: 345 Member
    Options

No not really. Only dairy I usually have is a cup or so of milk, and half N half in my coffee in the morning...
  • mellynat
    Options
    What is your height? TDEE? How much are you burning with Insanity? Your calories seem fairly low. I'm wondering if you're eating enough? But without numbers I have no clue

I mentioned I'm 5'5. I'm burning avg 300-350 with insanity a day.
    My TDEE is 1800 if i use scooby workshop calculator. http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    based on what I can see on your diary you don't weigh your food and you use quick adds a lot.

Typically if you aren't losing weight it is due to calories in being more than or equal to calories out.

Chances are you are eating more than you think, add in you typically eat back all the calories burned which are overstated on the MFP database.

Buy a food scale start weighing all solid foods and measure liquids and only eat back 50-75% of your calories...

and stop using quick adds.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I have been playing with my calories. Trying to increase my workouts. But for the past 4 months I keep gaining & losing same 3lbs. and can't break the cycle. I cut out meat, bread, baked goods for a few weeks to see if that would help. But even giving up all those goodies didn't do anything. I drink 1 gallon of water everyday. I don't know how much to eat anymore or what else to do.

This an looking at your Diary sounds like you're eating far more than you think.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I've been on MFP since 2011. So logging calories isn't' new to me. But being stuck for 4months is. In Jan 2013 I had my 3rd baby. I dropped the baby weight. and trying to lose another 15 lbs to reach my goal of 135.

Any advice??? I'm 5'5 and currently 153 as of this morning. I do insanity 5-6xs a week. Finishing up month 1 this week. THis is my 2nd round doing it. I finished 1st round in September. and lost 10lbs and a lot of inches. This round I haven't' lost any weight and I inches lost was maybe 1-2inches total if that so far..

If you aren't losing weight, you are not eating at a deficit. Make sure you've adjusted your goal for your current weight. Then weigh ALL of your solid foods with a food scale for accuracy. It's easy to underestimate the calories, even when you are measuring.
  • mccindy72
    Options

Why would you even ask this?
  • mellynat
    Options
    based on what I can see on your diary you don't weigh your food and you use quick adds a lot.

Typically if you aren't losing weight it is due to calories in being more than or equal to calories out.

Chances are you are eating more than you think, add in you typically eat back all the calories burned which are overstated on the MFP database.

Buy a food scale start weighing all solid foods and measure liquids and only eat back 50-75% of your calories...

I have a scale.
  • mellynat
    Options

If you aren't losing weight, you are not eating at a deficit. Make sure you've adjusted your goal for your current weight. Then weigh ALL of your solid foods with a food scale for accuracy. It's easy to underestimate the calories, even when you are measuring.

I do weigh my food. . as for the deficiency. Even after 2 yrs of being on. I still don't' get if I should focus on the net or just total calories consumed at the end of the day.. ??
  • mccindy72
    Options

I have a scale.

then why are you using Quick Add calories?
  • Jillsie11
    Jillsie11 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    @Mellynat- have you tried zig zagging your calories? That's what I'm doing right now and it's seemed to have helped. There are forums on this site about it and also websites. PM me if you have questions:) You got this, girl!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    weigh solid foods and measure liquids and you should be aiming for net calories. How do you calculate calories burned? you may be over estimating these.

You could always try taking a diet break too. Eat at maintenance for 2-3 weeks then go back to a deficit with a 0.5-1.0lbs/week weight loss goal.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

I have a scale.

then why are you using Quick Add calories?

and why are half your foods not in weight but other descriptors like 3/4c of cereal, 1 small banana, 1 tbsp of peanut butter (which btw is a lot more than one serving when weighed) 1cup of potatoes...

If you have a scale use it.
  • nancyluckhurst3
    nancyluckhurst3 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    She is 5 ft inches tall
  • SezxyStef
    Options

none of that matters as the simple explaination for no wait loss is more calories in vs out. Esp the eating enough...of course she is or she would be losing weight.

barring any medical reason's but those are few and far between.
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    think about your condiments...are the full of sodium? you could be retaining water. are you drinking diet soda/artificial sugars? they could be bloating you and making your body not lose the weight it should.

you might have to do weight lifting or some sort of strength exercise.

but dont give up and throw in the towel..keep at it and try to see results!!!
  • mccindy72
    Options
    think about your condiments...are the full of sodium? you could be retaining water. are you drinking diet soda/artificial sugars? they could be bloating you and making your body not lose the weight it should.

you might have to do weight lifting or some sort of strength exercise.

but dont give up and throw in the towel..keep at it and try to see results!!!

She's not going to stay bloated for 4 months.

The weight lifting advice is good, she should add that.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

This. You are eating more than you think. Start being accurate and logging everything.
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    First off, with TDEE you don't eat exercise cals back at all because you are already including them.

I put in your stats. 5'5", 153lbs, 25yrs old, 3-5hrs of moderate exercise (you really don't need to be killing yourself with exercise!) and set your loss at TDEE-10% seeing as you only have 15lbs to lose. The results on scoobi are 2000cals daily.

I bet you still put in TDEE--20% when you calculated. Thing is with so little to lose you just aren't going to lose 2lbs a week.

You also can't out exercise your diet. If you are not weighing everything to make SURE you're at a proper deficit then all the calculations and exercise in the world won't help you.

So, first step is weigh everything for at least 2-4 weeks and aim for a calorie goal of 1900-2000 cals.

If you're still not losing then reduce your calorie intake by 100 cals for the next 3 weeks and keep doing that until you DO start losing. Losing would be around 0.5lbs per week for you at this point. Also make sure to keep monitoring your inches.